UKBouldering.com

Bizarre - Churnet, Advice please on Hold restoration. (Read 13357 times)

rainbow

• menacing presence

Went and had a look a bizarre on sat and it is looking a bit worse for wear  :( It would be quite easy for me to glue along line in pic above, stopping the flexing and to prolong the life of flake and more importantly the one above. Just wanted some feedback from you guys if I should do it or just leave it be.

In the high lighted pic below I've rightly or wrongly dabbed superglue with towel to prevent more erosion and to lock first layer of crystals. Tried it else where in valley and this method works pretty well.

Hit me with your thoughts on gluing flake, as depending on what people think, might do it on Tues if I get chance. Thanks

a dense loner

• forum hero
i would glue it, someone will moan but that's life. what's the worst that can happen? it'll fall off anyway

fu.gu

I don't normally like to see glued holds as everything's better when it's totally natural. However I think in this case, as Bizarre is pretty much a standalone problem it would be nice to preserve it. It is, as you say, very worse for ware at the moment.

Eddies

• forum hero
The flake looks terrible all close up like that  :(
Ive wanted to see this glued up for a while, get it done i say, its dry enough.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
tried this last sunday.the flake has a lot of movement.if it gets any ice forming behind it next winter it would be curtains for it i think.i say do it but make a good job.im sure you would anyway.

monkey boy

• forum hero
This flake was wobbley when i did this a few years ago. We actually had one of us pressing the flake against the wall while the other tried the problem. i think its a cool little problem so get it glued!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
tried this last sunday.the flake has a lot of movement.if it gets any ice forming behind it next winter it would be curtains for it i think.i say do it but make a good job.im sure you would anyway.

I walked past ya I think, there were a good group of you trying it?? Anyone do it, looked like one of ya were getting very close.

Rainbow, I looked at this today, I somehow think the superglue aint gonna last, it is broken through to the underlying stone already! I'll pm you with a suggestion.

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
Tried this last week.  Its a really good problem a certainly deserves to be glued up (the flake feels incredibly flexy with my 12.5stone hung off it!).  Just make sure it's done well - being right by the path it will be obvious to non climbing passers by if done badly.

I walked past ya I think, there were a good group of you trying it?? Anyone do it, looked like one of ya were getting very close.

No we all failed on the final slap!  It certainly is a heartbraker.....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:45:43 am by stom »

Kingy

• forum hero
Aye get it glued, you won't regret it. Perhaps proper sika rather than superglue I would say as it would be more long-lasting. i glued the Pill Box hold and that seemed the right thing to do, preserved the problem for future generations etc.

dave

on something like this you also need to do something to seal the sandy broken surface rock too to stop it crumbling - sika up that back will stop the whole thing breaking off but won't address the surface deterioration.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
What about the french polish trick - would that work?

dave

what, getting invaded by germany?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
IMO french polish or brick hardener are less effective and more unsightly than superglue (check out Bridestones and Bowden for evidence). Superglue is more of a pain to apply properly but if done right can produce a good solid surface layer without too much visible evidence or residual greasyness. You need to use quite a lot so that it soaks in well, you need to cover the entire vulnerable area and you need to make sure you keep dabbing off the excess with a rag so that a surface polish doesn't occur. Obviously some super sandy rock is beyond fixing but that hold looks salvageable.
As for stopping it breaking off, the only long term solution is to break it off pre-emptively, clean all the dirt and woodlice off the back and stick it back on again with a good quality gun resin. If done carefully this will give a permanent and near invisible repair, if done badly it may fuck the problem royally! I dare say some people might object to this approach, it's a tricky subject. I have done this sort of fix on limestone sport routes and one limestone boulder prob, but have thankfully never had to consider it on sandstone/grit. You could put a bead of resin around the back but this will only last a few years and is pretty unsightly, especially if you put on a big enough bead to last. Pouring glue into the crack is totally ineffective IMO.

account_inactive

• forum hero
I remember that Garry Wickham or Southern Sandstone fame painted up the rock with some stuff.  I'm sure Jasper or Ben P will be along with the details and a boring recollection of some of the most underrated choss in the country etc etc

rainbow

• menacing presence
Thanks for your feedback. With regards the shelf, I'm going to seek advice from someone who has to sorted out some of the badly effected problems around roaches area to try and find a more permanent solution.
As for stopping it breaking off, the only long term solution is to break it off pre-emptively, clean all the dirt and woodlice off the back and stick it back on again with a good quality gun resin. If done carefully this will give a permanent and near invisible repair, if done badly it may fuck the problem royally! I dare say some people might object to this approach, it's a tricky subject. I have done this sort of fix on limestone sport routes and one limestone boulder prob, but have thankfully never had to consider it on sandstone/grit. You could put a bead of resin around the back but this will only last a few years and is pretty unsightly, especially if you put on a big enough bead to last. Pouring glue into the crack is totally ineffective IMO.

I totally I agree with you, Unfortunately knowing how crumbly the rock is underneath I would say getting the flake off in one piece would be virtually impossible and I haven't got the balls to try. I'm going to take glue gun up there tomorrow have another look go for a walk and ponder wether to apply some to the side of flake. If I do might get some sand from nearby crags and sprinkle on top of glue to at least try and camouflage it.

Bizarre means quite a lot to me, So I feel its my responsibility to do something. At the end of day, I just don't want to look like a dick.

a dense loner

• forum hero
you're calling yourself rainbow. how much more of a dick can you look? ;)

note. showing photo's of me at this stage will not be funny

account_inactive

• forum hero

rainbow

• menacing presence
you're calling yourself rainbow. how much more of a dick can you look? ;)

How True,

Well, felt right to give it a go. Aesthetically I'm please with the result, when hardened hope the sand has stuck to glue. Before and After shots below. Time will tell if it was worth it.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
Good effort on your part. Lets hope it works. It is definitely one of those holds that needs to be treated with care.

Eddies

• forum hero
It looks well, nice one. What glue did you use?

fashionguru

• player
Good job there.

Im sure some will take offence but I think youve done a good job.

If it was me I would also use some stone repair (brick hardner I think some one called it) this will then penatrate and help make the rock more solid.

JB said to use super glue instead of this but (and its my own thoughts) this would create a glassy finish to the hold (please tell me if Im wrong JB but that is my experience)

Any way good job and lets hope it works.

Great problem

Tony S

dave

in my experience superglue done properly doesn't give a glassy finish.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I remember that Garry Wickham or Southern Sandstone fame painted up the rock with some stuff.  I'm sure Jasper or Ben P will be along with the details and a boring recollection of some of the most underrated choss in the country etc etc

I missed that you cunt.  ;)

You're right it was some sort of furniture polish stuff. No idea what exactly but it worked a treat and seemed to last well. This is totally unhelpful and redundant now the thing's been fixed I do realise.........

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
As mentioned before superglue only leaves a glassy finish if applied heavily without dabbing off the excess. If you apply and then use a ragg to soak up the stuff left on top it gives a good clear repair with little friction loss (comparable or better than any other solution i've seen used)

uptown

• junky
Looks to be a suitable repair, but why all this talk of superglue and furniture polish. We must have moved on now from the bodge it days when folk just used whatever they could rob from their access company.
Try professional stabilising solution - it does exactly what it says on the tub. There was a reason I didn't superglue my sandstone window mullions and jambs.....

The boy is on his money concerning cleaning away those woodlice though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal