UKBouldering.com

1 million pull ups (Read 72705 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#125 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 06:34:40 pm

yes! someone else who can see where im coming from!

double maths?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:41:52 pm by Yossarian »

Munkii

• stalker
#126 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 06:53:34 pm

andy popp

• forum hero
#127 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 07:26:21 pm
Add my last night's training session's tally of 15 to the current total, whatever that might be... Lets get involved with this shit!! Hell yeah!!

Now that's what I call a training session! Having read that I feel somewhat less dismayed by Stevie's 1000-2000 per week, 600 per session etc.

I have done a guaranteed not less than 40 since this whole thing started.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#128 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 08:03:13 pm
pull ups= 300 since second to last post

total = i make it 1888 roughly

lets get to 10,000

:o Its all there in black and white for adding up.  Your sat in front of a computer which no doubt has a calculator you could use  :spank: :rtfm:

Kingy

• forum hero
#129 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 08:08:02 pm
Add my last night's training session's tally of 15 to the current total, whatever that might be... Lets get involved with this shit!! Hell yeah!!
Now that's what I call a training session!

:lol: I did not include the two 40 move 7c+ circuits I completed as well as the 90 mins of bouldering I did at the Broughton, the original Temple of Power, did I!! Without dissing the humble pullup, I consider my training session to be of infinitely more value than just doing x number of pullups, if of course you can get to the wall that is...

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#130 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 08:45:07 pm
Apparently junior competition road cyclists have to use easier gear ratios than an adults in races to protect their knees.

Should a 12 year old (and very keen) climber be encouraged to be doing large numbers of pull ups by other, older climbers?

I don't know how long you've been climbing Munkii, but my advice would be don't worry about training strength, train experience and the rest will come.

Paul B

• forum hero
#131 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 09:45:02 pm
ok so to add something in keeping with the rest of the thread I did:

50 pullup variants tonight, some of which had 2 arms, some of them one and some of them with a small woman on my back.

nik at work

• forum hero
#132 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 09:56:10 pm
some of them with a small woman on my back.

Your training regimes sound more fun than I imagined...

Paul B

• forum hero
#133 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 08, 2008, 10:04:29 pm
when there are no plates improvisation is key!

Munkii

• stalker
#134 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 07:54:29 am
pull ups= 300 since second to last post

total = i make it 1888 roughly

lets get to 10,000

:o Its all there in black and white for adding up.  Your sat in front of a computer which no doubt has a calculator you could use  :spank: :rtfm:

well no one else id doing it and with the amount of liars on here it wouldn't make much difference.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#135 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 08:13:15 am

I don't know how long you've been climbing Munkii, but my advice would be don't worry about training strength, train experience and the rest will come.

:agree:

And if you are intent on using the fingerboard then fewer pullups, more hanging is the way to go. When I was your age I had little access to the crags and no climbing wall anywhere near where I lived so the temptation to overdo it on my old Entreprise board was big. However, I quickly found that doing loads of pullups just got me sore elbows for a few days whereas fewer pullups and monkeying about between smaller and smaller holds (deadhanging hadn't been invented then) was much more beneficial and fun. I didn't think of it as training (that hadn't really been invented then either) just the nearest thing I could get to climbing.

stevie haston

• player
#136 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 08:49:36 am
Munki , add on 300 for Dino Maginley this week, he,s oldtime tradster no computer acess and sends his regards. Sharpie is right in some ways as are others, yes you can hurt yourself, but so what,most if not all of the injuries that have hampered my climbing and bouldering have come from guess what, bouldering. And I mean no disrespect to anybody but whats wrong with being strong, there are and there were even more good people posting on this site and many of them were severly limited from being as weak as shit, I could mention names Mr Pop. When you are young and have lust and spunk is just the time to reap that enomous cornfield of atheletic endeaver. If you can stay away from injoury and only make small gains you will arrive at a much higher level in a few years, when you are young, you heal very quick, anyway who cares about being old its very overrated, take it from me. Munkii I,ll try to get you more pull ups from other old friends but Laurence Maginley and I will get you  around 2000 a week for sure, if that nice young man who trains at the school collects some from all those many super men you will be well on the way.Stevie.

Paul B

• forum hero
#137 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 11:44:45 am
No offense Stevie but I think doing millions of pull ups isn't the most modern way to get strong?

andy popp

• forum hero
#138 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 12:12:34 pm
And I mean no disrespect to anybody but whats wrong with being strong, there are and there were even more good people posting on this site and many of them were severly limited from being as weak as shit, I could mention names Mr Pop.

Thanks Stevie, much appreciated.

In fact, weakness wasn't something I deliberately cultivated or particularly valued. I hope I never used it as an excuse. Indeed, I have every respect for the strong - as long as they can actually climb. Being as 'weak as shit' is only a limitation (a very loaded word) if climbing 'hard' (or one particular definition of climbing hard) is seen as the principal purpose of climbing. For me, luckily I guess, given how weak I was/am, it never was. Hence, I never felt particularly limited in my climbing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#139 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 12:16:54 pm
I thought it was a bit of a cheap popp myself.

Weak of the world unite.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#140 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 12:46:21 pm
Munki , add on 300 for Dino Maginley this week, he,s oldtime tradster no computer acess and sends his regards. Sharpie is right in some ways as are others, yes you can hurt yourself, but so what,most if not all of the injuries that have hampered my climbing and bouldering have come from guess what, bouldering. And I mean no disrespect to anybody but whats wrong with being strong, there are and there were even more good people posting on this site and many of them were severly limited from being as weak as shit, I could mention names Mr Pop. When you are young and have lust and spunk is just the time to reap that enomous cornfield of atheletic endeaver. If you can stay away from injoury and only make small gains you will arrive at a much higher level in a few years, when you are young, you heal very quick, anyway who cares about being old its very overrated, take it from me. Munkii I,ll try to get you more pull ups from other old friends but Laurence Maginley and I will get you  around 2000 a week for sure, if that nice young man who trains at the school collects some from all those many super men you will be well on the way.Stevie.

I think there is a clear misunderstanding between correlation and causation here. The top climbers can do lots of pull ups because they are top climbers. Being able to do lots of pull ups does not make you a top climber. I guess I'm lucky because most of the people I climb with have climbed font 8B or above, so I'm in good company to know what the top climbers can do. I'd suggest that anyone reading this ignore stevie's sage like advice and instead take onboard some training methods that will give greater gains for less expenditure. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being strong, and I hope one day I can class myself as "strong", but until then I'm training for rock climbing, not just for being strong. Stevie is also very correct when he says that lots of small gains will result in a much higher level in a few years, if you stay injury free. This is perhaps extremely well exemplified by Tyler. The kid trained from a young age, made lots of small gains, then suddenly realised he was at a world class level. Inspiring stuff.

However, pull ups are not the path to the top of bouldering/climbing. They are the path to being able to do lots of pull ups though. I guess it depends where you're heading. Good luck with everyone's goal of reaching 1m.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 01:00:15 pm by unclesomebody »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#141 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 12:52:23 pm
Good post Unc.

Just leave this thread open for a month or two and Unc will have crushed your 1x106 target......one armed!!!

stevie haston

• player
#142 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 01:56:12 pm
hello firstly I think we should all just add some pull up numbers to Munkii,s harmless thread after all some of us do a few pull ups,and then perhaps it might be interesting.

Paul B and Uncle (enjoyed your vid, thanks) yes pull ups are a very good way to get good at pull ups, and they are also a good way for getting strong for some aspects of climbing, to say there are other ways to get strong at climbing/ bouldering is something I dont disagree with, but to say it doesnt help climbers get strong at climbing is just plane dumb.

when I was young I could easily do a thousand pull ups in an hour it takes you much longer to find your mat and tooth brush, comb your hair find your mate and go bouldering in the damp. I am old,  and  I can now go climbing   have fun playing on moves then go home and finish off wrecking my self and do a few pull ups, finger hangs and what ever else, I do this in my barn sipping cofee and listning to my limited selection of musicnot ripping my skin falling off friction dependent stuff in the peak.

I now have the added pleasure of helping Munkii reach his total or is it our total. For the last seven and a half months I have been trying to get back into climbing using old school methods and strangely it still works and is indeed working very well.

As for Tylor well please tell me how tall Tyler is and what he wieghs and that will probably supply quite a bit of the answer. Uncle I suppose doing one arms hasnt helped you? My climbing ability is in a simplistic way , is directly related to how strong my fingers are, it is also on steep routes related to how strong my lats are and my core, pull ups train all these muscels fairly well.

Can anything be more simple? Munkii I didnt want to enter your thread except to help you when you were getting silly replies, I certainly dont whish to change your thread or derail it, so in the spirit of your thread add on another 25 from me, sorry no more it was enough to let me know I,m not recovered.Stevie
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:54:58 pm by Bubba, Reason: added some line breaks for readability »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#143 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 04:46:43 pm
Brilliant. Paul B and Keith actually think they know more about training than Stevie. Way to go guys.

I'm in the Popp club too. And I still haven't done the 2 pull-ups I promised. I will at some point. Does topping out Deliverance count?

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#144 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 04:51:29 pm
They know more about the return key and paragraphs, that's for certain sure.  :whistle:

Paul B

• forum hero
#145 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 05:00:57 pm
Brilliant. Paul B and Keith actually think they know more about training than Stevie. Way to go guys.

:wank:

Paul B

• forum hero
#146 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 05:31:22 pm
Paul B and Uncle (enjoyed your vid, thanks) yes pull ups are a very good way to get good at pull ups, and they are also a good way for getting strong for some aspects of climbing, to say there are other ways to get strong at climbing/ bouldering is something I dont disagree with, but to say it doesnt help climbers get strong at climbing is just plane dumb. when I was young I could easily do a thousand pull ups in an hour it takes you much longer to find your mat and tooth brush, comb your hair find your mate and go bouldering in the damp.
I'm slightly confused here, I've just done a trial run and assembled all items necessary in under a minute seeing as though my hair hasn't been combed for a fair few years now I'm quite happy to skip that bit but if you think thats going to take me the remaining 59 mins I'll give it a go.

I am old,  and  I can now go climbing   have fun playing on moves then go home and finish off wrecking my self and do a few pull ups, finger hangs and what ever else
you find this to be beneficial? does this not just make your recovery take even longer?

As for Tylor well please tell me how tall Tyler is and what he wieghs and that will probably supply quite a bit of the answer.
I have to say I absolutely hate it when people break this out. You can claim that people like Tyler are only strong because of their weight but being a lightweight crimp waif myself I think I've admirably disproved this over the last few months.

.... routes related to how strong my lats are and my core, pull ups train all these muscels fairly well.

See here is a good example, if you want to work your core then isn't it more beneficial to do levers or something instead, to say that a pullup works your core is similar to saying lifting a cup of tea works your bicep, it does but minimally.

Please take these as questions rather than anything else, (as I'm sure Adam wouldn't want me to do it in any other way).

Kingy

• forum hero
#147 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 06:32:54 pm
Yo, do I get a pullup for doing the Joker the nu skool method? I promise I will stabilise any dodgy swing before pulling up  :whistle:  :P If so then I will get my ass down to the plantation pronto and post it up here when I get back!!  :thumbsup:

Munkii

• stalker
#148 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 06:42:32 pm
just to clear this up:

i never said doing pullups would benefit anyones climbing, i never said you should go and do lots of pullups. all i did was create a thread to see howlong it takes us to collectively reach 1m pullups. and i only did this because lots of people do pullups as part of theie hangboard finger board routine. like me.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#149 Re: 1 million pull ups
October 09, 2008, 07:29:55 pm
You don't need to apologise for anything Munkii  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal