UKBouldering.com

8a.nu (Read 20900 times)

dave

#50 Re: 8a.nu
October 17, 2008, 02:19:11 pm
the only other notable instances i can think of where people were rude to people are si o'conor (cry me a fucking river) and dave bucanon&ball (came on, all defensive, tried to threaten people and rightly got slated by anyone with any sense).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#51 Re: 8a.nu
October 17, 2008, 02:26:32 pm
I wasn't including the 1000000.Dave incident as the person being rude, threatening, offensive and then spitting the dummy was him!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#52 Re: 8a.nu
October 17, 2008, 02:43:52 pm
One of the biggest appeals of this site is the gentle moderation. Swearing and rudeness help fuck the idiots and stop you having to wade through the dross of other sites, on which genuine debate gets stifled lest someone take offence.

As I see it its like being in a pub - if you wade in to a crowd you don't know shooting your mouth off, you can expect a harsh reception. If you hang around a bit, get to know the regulars and offer some helpful advice, when you do come to shoot your mouth off folk will be a bit more tolerant.

stevie haston

• player
#53 Re: 8a.nu
October 17, 2008, 04:44:01 pm
hi guys, I like this site, most of the time, I find it helpful to keeping my keeness up, and at  best its humour can be really top.  I take your points. I also like 8a.nu but obviously for different reasons I wish both were better. Jasper lots of people have been put off, lots of people, you have to have a thick skin on this site, which I have had trouble developing as have others. I dont want to go into who is rude or who is foolish, just it does get on some peoples tits and some folks just dont want the hassle. I dont like mentionning peoples names with out their permission, like on the topic of anorexia (a very series subjet) and I wont tell you who doesnt want to take part on here, if you will forgive me. Yes it is a kind of pub, but there are rules in a pub too. This site is important to me as I have trouble with my motivation but so is 8a.nu and yes Uk climbing sometimes has something very interesting, I click onto many sites at the moment (unemployed) and this site can be one of the worst. I try to add to a debate, when I have some knowledge, I wish I could be hilarious, but I am just a born again, boring bouldering/climbing nerd. Oftopic for Jasper, check out Chabots website for photos of good  looking routes, try Abyss, so so beautiful makes me wont to improve. Stevie the rhino.   

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#54 Re: 8a.nu
October 17, 2008, 05:07:11 pm
. . . but there are rules in a pub too.

Now here's a level of irony one doesn't get to read everyday.  Bathe in it, gentlemen.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#55 Re: 8a.nu
October 17, 2008, 05:10:25 pm
you have to have a thick skin on this site, which I have had trouble developing

Quote of the month that.

I think UKB is pretty good to be honest, certainly compared to other climbing sites that I visited before and a lot more than UKB. Particularly in terms of knowledgeable debate and keeping banter at a funny rather than irritating level.

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
#56 Re: 8a.nu
November 13, 2008, 09:45:54 am
Just saw on 8a the list of the "hardest trad in the world". Apparently High Fidelity at Caley gets E11/8c+. Where do they get their information from? :-\

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#57 Re: 8a.nu
November 13, 2008, 12:35:41 pm
Just saw on 8a the list of the "hardest trad in the world". Apparently High Fidelity at Caley gets E11/8c+. Where do they get their information from? :-\

I believe it comes directly out of their own arses.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#58 Re: 8a.nu
November 13, 2008, 02:14:46 pm
Agree about the UKC logbook system being good. I'm sure it's also a great method of collating route data, grades and descriptions for future rockfax publications.  :-\

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#59 Re: 8a.nu
November 13, 2008, 02:44:37 pm
You can't really fault them for using innovative and mutually beneficial business strategies.

MorganW

• regular
#60 Re: 8a.nu
November 13, 2008, 04:07:32 pm
I have no idea about their logbooks as i use UKC's.  However I occasionally check with 8a for ticklists if i'm going somewhere new.  Noticed that for say Rodellar they have the same climb (Pablo Pequeno) in there twice, oce at 7a+ and once at 7b.  Guess which one gets the most ticks?

mark s

• junky
#61 Re: 8a.nu
November 14, 2008, 06:49:50 pm

and a little particular (roaches) at f8c+ :o

ferret

• forum abuser
#62 Re: 8a.nu
November 16, 2008, 04:49:07 am
wow this topic never goes away

8a.nu may hav its faults and u may disagree with its founding principles, but personally i find a mass of usefull information on this site. this is probably because i travel abroad alot and go to obscure areas but i often find info on 8a that i wud only get from the mouth of a local.

before u knock it think about howm much information has been amassed on this site and think of the work it wud take to do it. cud most of the people who takes digs at this site create something better.....i doubt it

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#63 Re: 8a.nu
November 16, 2008, 10:41:13 am
cud most of the people who takes digs at this site create something better.....i doubt it

Is a lot of their content not user generated....like this site?

One recent site thats sprung from UKB is the Grit List II which whilst quite specific is getting rounded out and useful.  Further many of the regulars on UKB have wiki's and/or have produced topos for their local areas, or post videos of local areas/problems.  Check out peoples signatures for

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#64 Re: 8a.nu
December 15, 2008, 02:00:45 pm
Noticed that Tyler's decided not to update his 8a scorecard any more and will only be posting info of what he's done on the Moonblog.

http://www.moonclimbing.com/Moonblog.aspx?ID=873

ClimbingNarc

• ClimbingNarc.com
#65 Re: 8a.nu
December 16, 2008, 07:46:54 pm
cud most of the people who takes digs at this site create something better.....i doubt it

Is a lot of their content not user generated....like this site?

This is the key.  Most of 8a's value is based on its user generated content (the scorecards).  90% of their news items are simply lifted from the ascents registered by their high profile users.

The incoherent ramblings of Jens create controversy which is surely helpful for short term traffic boosts, but this is turning people off in the long run.  I wonder if someone else came up with a similar logbook site without all the nonsense if that site wouldn't eventually overtake 8a in popularity.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#66 Re: 8a.nu
December 17, 2008, 08:28:50 am
No doubt about it.

T_B

• forum hero
#67 Re: 8a.nu
December 17, 2008, 09:10:02 am
Tell you what it is useful for though. Checking on the dates that ascents are logged to see at what times of year you can expect certain crags to be in condition. I only seem to be able to navigate it though by searching on google and pre-fixing my search with '8a.nu'.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#68 Re: 8a.nu
December 17, 2008, 10:51:29 am
Tell you what it is useful for though. Checking on the dates that ascents are logged to see at what times of year you can expect certain crags to be in condition. I only seem to be able to navigate it though by searching on google and pre-fixing my search with '8a.nu'.

Try prefixing (or suffixing) it with 'site:www.8a.nu'.  Google will then only search the 8a.nu web-site as opposed to all sites that also mention 8a.nu.  See here for more information on this.

jamie

#69 Re: 8a.nu
December 17, 2008, 12:24:05 pm
Someone on there once described an 8a.nu debate over e-grades as "like a mule (referring to Jens) learning maths from a cornflake box". Very funny (and accurate) in my opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal