UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 207172 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk

dave

Anyone now anywhere sheff/peakside that is particulary vegan friendly? But ideally happy to serve the flesh of dead anaimals too?

Gallant

• player
Blue Moon Cafe in Sheffield might do food, I've been recommended their cakes by vegan and non-vegan friends, so they might do a decent lunch or so too, never been myself though.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Another top quality meal at the York last night..highlights include the 'Bacon Jam' which is hard to describe but well worth trying, (somewhere between a pate, a savoury marmalade and a chutney, mmm sweet bacony goodness...) and the still warm home-made apple and cinnamon doughnuts dipped in a cream and cinnamon sauce.... :2thumbsup:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Still in love with Shimul curry house at norton, schobuzz massala and naga being the sig dishes...

Paul B

• forum hero
I met a few mates for a meal last night outside of Thai Punna to find it closed (is this permanent?). We ended up driving to Siam-inter on Eccy Rd. which really was outstanding, prices were considerably higher than our first destination but then portions were significantly bigger too.

Dolly

• forum hero
Continuing the Thai theme we went to All Siam on Eccy Road on Friday. First time there and I thought it was very good.
Portion size was big, service attentive and some nice amuse bouche bits as well

a dense loner

• forum hero
Went to the prince of Wales on Eccy rd the other wk, food wasn't up to much, wine was rank, n service was terrible

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
We couldn't get a table at The Broadfield last night (turned up at 6.30pm) so went to our old regular Thai place next to the post office on London Road - now called The Orchid. Didn't recognize any of the staff. No one seemed to know what they were doing (except the guy behind the bar - he was very good at drinking) and the food was mediocre and more expensive than it used to be.

Even the ornamental fish looked sad

Don't think we'll be going back

a dense loner

• forum hero
London rd, everyone bangs on about it for food, its fuckin wank

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Been to those Turkish places a few times, and always had a great time

:beer2:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Any place particularly upset you Dense or do you just object to area as a whole? We still rate Pho68 for both eat in and take away. Like anywhere with a high concentration of restaurants/take aways, there's always going to be some that are better than others.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Any place particularly upset you Dense or do you just object to area as a whole? We still rate Pho68 for both eat in and take away. Like anywhere with a high concentration of restaurants/take aways, there's always going to be some that are better than others.

I think Noodle Inn is great, although it's never going to win any awards the portion sizes are bloody huge which always makes up for any mediocrity

I enjoyed Pho68, the older waiter (manager maybe?) was really rude but to an extent where it was funny, Falty-esque.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

I think Noodle Inn is great, although it's never going to win any awards the portion sizes are bloody huge which always makes up for any mediocrity

I enjoyed Pho68, the older waiter (manager maybe?) was really rude but to an extent where it was funny, Falty-esque.

The other thing I was going to observe in my previous post is that it's funny how impressions of places are often based on a single meal or one bad experience. We have the opposite view of the two places, only had good experiences at Pho68, they are very accommodating when we take the kids there. Whereas we have only been to Noodle Inn twice, once was ok, but once had a very bizarre experience. I had ordered a duck dish and the duck had been chopped into pieces whilst still on the bone. Consequently the dish in my view was inedible as it involved eating around or picking out very sharp shards of bone in every mouthful. We complained and the chef came out and basically ranted at me for about 10 minutes claiming "it's the authentic way to cook it", "if you went to Hong Kong this is the way it is always served", I didn't bother to tell him that I had actually been to Hong Kong a far bit and never had duck served like that. Or that just because something is 'authentic' doesn't mean it's the best way to serve it to the UK public.

I may be imagining it, but I seem to recall he was carrying a large meat cleaver during this conversation!

This was several years ago, and the guy has probably moved on but suffice to say it's consequently not a regular place we go.

Wood FT

• forum hero

The other thing I was going to observe in my previous post is that it's funny how impressions of places are often based on a single meal or one bad experience

that's true, but let's all just agree the York is top bollocks.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah anyone who argues against that is just wrong. FACT.

Dolly

• forum hero
Apart from the portions being too small and the prices too high

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
:thumbsup:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
:thumbsup:

Followed up the recs and went last night with family. Nice understated dining area, friendly service. I had the Hake, Ben burger, Tom Thai Fish Cakes, Poppy kids sausage and mash and Sonia Beef. Sonia's beef was a little tough and fatty and the hake portion was a bit small but otherwise food was excellent. Desserts were outstanding especially the pear creme brulee, again too small although the cheese platter was large. The bordeaux was very quaffable. Ace evening. Cheers folks.

Dolly

• forum hero
Agree
Food is good but the portions are too small unless you're a hobbit or summat
For that reason...

dave

Needed somewhere to trudge with kids today so walked to Graze Inn on Eccy road. Used to be Champs or some shit bar like that.

http://www.grazeinn.co.uk/welcome.html

Not especially cheap but the sunday roast was great, huge yorkshire pudding, and the kids desert at £1 was basically the same size as the desert my wife had. Menu looked to have a few interesting things on. Spacious inside, nicely laid out, with plenty of tables with room for pushchairs etc. Apparently midweek kids eat for free - bonus. You can do a lot worse than this place if on eccy road.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Interesting. Didn't realise it was one of this lot's ventures:

http://www.relaxeatanddrink.com/welcome.html

a dense loner

• forum hero
Don't rate noodle inn at all, plastic food terrible service. Pho68 was a bit strange, first time me n leo had terrible duck but everyone else's food looked good, second time food was ok, service was ridiculous both times.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
We wanted to check out the 'Twisted Burger Company' at the Harley, but their introductory half price offer proved too popular so we couldn't get in. With a taste for a burger we decided to check out the 'Mud Crab Diner' on Ecclesall Rd and were generally impressed. Good atmosphere, quite busy. Very accommodating for kids (and clumsy partners who manage to smash a full bottle of ketchup all over the place  :slap:). Burgers and fries were generous portions, nicely put together and tasty but not what I'd call outstanding. Slight wait for puddings to arrive but when they did they were worth the wait. Proper freshly cooked 'Churros' doughnuts with warm chocolate sauce for dipping.   :2thumbsup:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
We wanted to check out the 'Twisted Burger Company' at the Harley, but their introductory half price offer proved too popular so we couldn't get in. With a taste for a burger we decided to check out the 'Mud Crab Diner' on Ecclesall Rd and were generally impressed. Good atmosphere, quite busy. Very accommodating for kids (and clumsy partners who manage to smash a full bottle of ketchup all over the place  :slap: ). Burgers and fries were generous portions, nicely put together and tasty but not what I'd call outstanding. Slight wait for puddings to arrive but when they did they were worth the wait. Proper freshly cooked 'Churros' doughnuts with warm chocolate sauce for dipping.   :2thumbsup:

Churros rule - there's a Mexican place near me that does them and they're so good as a lunchtime snack with a coffee!

Your story about the ketchup reminded me of my Dad, when I was a kid, sat at the dinner table and shaking what he thought was bottle of ketchup with the lid tightly on. Sadly not, the lid had already been taken off and was just resting on. He gave it a fearsome shake, the lid flew off resulting in ketchup up the walls, ketchup on the ceiling, ketchup all over me and my sister...as I remember he also managed to get a fair bit on our cat as well!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal