UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 203895 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
So we've had a surprise offer of babysitting for Saturday night and I want to take the Mrs somewhere nice to eat. Preferably somewhere we've not already been. Know that it's going to be tricky finding somewhere at short notice but I'd appreciate the esteemed gentlemen and ladies of UKB giving me their opinions of the best eateries they've been to recently in the Sheffield hood. Cheers.

Oh and let me know approximate cost as i don't mind splashing out a bit but also don't want to spend stupid amounts of money - unless it's really, really worth it.  :greed:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
expensive - marco @ milanos by milhouses park, artisan in crosspool
moderate - cant really think of one - that new leopold sq is nice, zizzi is pretty good, catch in crosspool
cheap - the pasta bar on sharrowvale road is nice, and suprisingly cheap. Actually, that might have been on a 2 for 1 deal on a tuesday now I think about it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Loch Fyne was pretty good a few weeks back, and if you go before 19.00 you can take advantage of their £14 meal offer (two courses from a select menu & glass of wine).

Food at The Ivory was very good although a bit pricey (think we paid ~£100 for three people when I ate there last including drinks).  But nice ambiance and they often have live musicians.

Loved Wasabsabi, the yellow fin tuna just melted in the mouth, not too expensive either.  Haven't tried the teppanyaki bar yet though, but have found them highly entertaining in the past at other establishments.

fatkid2000

• junky
I went to Rowley's at Baslow last Sunday which was very good. £30/head ish for a la carte. The Cricket Inn at Totley does very good pub food - bit pricey for eating in a pub.

I think Milano's is shut at the moment for holidays - but check.

Artisan - agree very good.

Cafe Buon Deli next to Lloyds bank in Bromhill very good Italian.

If you like kebabs & turkish food Zuegma on London Road is good & very good value, approx £35 for 2 including a couple of beers.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Thanks lads! Plenty to go at there.  :thumbsup:

travs

• menacing presence
Top 2 places in Sheffield :

For under a £100 - Moran's next to Dore station ( way better than Artisan )
For a mega meal £200+ - The Old Vicarage in Ridgeway ( currently best food & wine list in the area )

I'm feeling hungry now ;D

fatkid2000

• junky
Old vicarage is awesome - I went with the wife to be 2 weeks ago, really really good. Luckily we had our meal bought for us by  some relatives, but I'd happily pay, as the food, service etc is fantastic. Is you have spare cash to splash I'd recommend it.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Loch Fyne was pretty good a few weeks back, and if you go before 19.00 you can take advantage of their £14 meal offer (two courses from a select menu & glass of wine).

£14 is after 7pm and not available on saturdays

They still have the £11 deal until the end of this month (2 courses plus glass of wine until 7pm), but you need to download/print a voucher first.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Aargh stop stop. Choice overload! Realised how many good places there are that we've not been to now as since the sprog arrived we don't get out much!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
well known bouldering food critic Dave Mason also likes that Zeugma's joint.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
Depends how long you have the baby sitting available for, but the one thing that we havn't done much since being parents is go to the cinema. Ok it depends what's on this Sat and if anything takes your (Or your Mrs) fancy. But if you like going to the cinema grab the oppertunity to go with both hands.

I thnk we have only been to the cinema about 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years now  :(

You could then go on for a nice meal afterwards.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I know what you mean. We went to see Batman the other week. First cinema visit for about 2 years!

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
If you go to Zeugma's, there are two. Go to the one further up the road, (furthest from the city centre). Last time we went, we thought we'd try the lower one. We ordered something that they couldn't cook there, and waited ages while they cooked the meal at the other restaurant and carried down the street to us. I always like the food there though, good big portions, and they dish out free olives and beautiful flat bread while you wait.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That's one of the few places mentioned that we have been to. It was very good actually and as mentioned, cheap as chips.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
As expected a lot of places fully booked apart from ridiculously early o'clock. However, The Ivory had one table for two left at a decent time so we're going there.  ;D

It has very good reviews on the net so I'll not hold slackers entirely to blame if it turns out to be shit.

Thanks again for everyone's help. UKB rules.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Another vote for Zeugmas. Beautiful food, and plenty of it.

There's also a nice little restaurant tucked between Sainsbury's on Archer Road and the hideous gym/bed emporium opposite it. I forget its name, but I know Fiend is a big fan.

The only drawback is it's perhaps a little too affordable, and can be chock-a-block with proles at the weekend.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Mwah hah hah!  :lol:

Oli

• obsessive maniac
I went to Rossi's (just off London road), a while ago, which was really good. Quite an interesting building too, as it is in an old bank. Probably heading towards the more expensive side of things though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I'm a big fan of Wig & Pen (actually that would have been good for you Jasper, undeserving bastard that you are), Sheiks, Wasabisabi, Ashoka, Baan Thai, Rafters, etc etc IF THAT HELPS.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Wig & Pen's changed hands / styles etc a lot hasn't it. What's it's present incarnation? Been plenty of times in the past for a few drinks but I've never eaten there.

This is a serious question by the way rather than a setup for more McDonalds pisstaking, I've resisted the urge.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I can feel you seething and straining against the bonds of restraint and decency from over here...

It shall be honoured.

It's very good. Tapas upstairs (extensive menu with plenty of cheesy stuff, errr, just nice really), newly opened/extended restaurant downstairs. Quirky layout to it all, very much like a restaurant set in some smart but old offices. Food is good, standard post-nouvelle-cuisine post-fusion high quality English cooking (well sourced produce, nods to traditionalism etc etc), not a huge menu and not huge portions but makes up for it in quality. Errr yeah that's it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
At the risk of being tarred with the 'London Wanker' brush, I thought the Walnut Club on Ecc Rd was worth a mention. Yes there was a decent "footballer's wives" contingent in there when I was last in, but the food was very tasty and reasonably priced, especially if you stick to their £5 / £10 / £5 (starter / main / dessert) menu.

If you're after a posh curry, Aagrah on Leopold Square has done us proud while we've been here, in fact I had my 30th birthday dinner there. I can recommend their tasty and generous tandoori mixed grill (if you're a meat-eater that is).

Paul B

• forum hero
At the risk of being tarred with the 'London Wanker' brush, I thought the Walnut Club on Ecc Rd was worth a mention. Yes there was a decent "footballer's wives" contingent in there when I was last in, but the food was very tasty and reasonably priced, especially if you stick to their £5 / £10 / £5 (starter / main / dessert) menu.

If you're after a posh curry, Aagrah on Leopold Square has done us proud while we've been here, in fact I had my 30th birthday dinner there. I can recommend their tasty and generous tandoori mixed grill (if you're a meat-eater that is).

Walnut Club was recommended us to Dave Mason however it looked a bit out of place for eccy road when we last walked past.

On the same vibe as Aagrah, Cafe Guru is pretty decent or was when I was last there.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
We've been to West 10, the wine bar/restaurant in Ranmoor recently, I rate the food there. Due to some of our fave places closing in the last year or so (Curators House, 543) it's nice to have somewhere reliable for the odd 'special occasion' (ie. whenever we get a baby sitter!)

Whose been to Rafters recently? Must get around to trying it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I haven't been to Rafter's recently, last time was a few years ago but I'd been a few times around then and always found it to be really good - great food, good service. It seems to have slipped off the radar a bit now, not sure why. More recent beta would be useful.

Went to Aagrah in Skipton a couple of weeks back (random chance find after climbing up at Simon's Seat) and it was very good, one of the best curries I've had. Vast, epic menu, swift service, and distinctive dishes with clear ingredients.

Edit: I have been told that I've undersold The Wig and Pen and that I should have used words like "brilliant" and "best restaurant in Sheffield" etc etc...

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:57:10 pm by Fiend, Reason: being nagged at »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal