UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 206026 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
On the theme of Indians, ate out at Nawaab on West Street the other week (been there a few times before) as they had an offer on for starter & main with sundry (rice, naan etc.) for £6.95/head available all night Sunday through to Thursday and 17.00-19.00 on Fridays & Saturdays.  Having just looked at the site to link to it it appears they have an even better offer on  :beer2: :pissed:.

Curries themselves were very tasty, a definite value for money night out.

Have enjoyed Rajput, further along on South Road the is pretty good too, particularly partial to their Naga curries (although they weren't as hot as I was expecting).

I think the variability in curries is likely down to which chef is in the kitchen on a given night.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Was at The Cricket Inn on Friday (traditional pre-comp venue) and complained for the first time. Fishcakes were about 4" thick yet only had enough fish for a 1" or 2" fishcake. Waitress noted it.

Otherewise good, especially the poached eggs on top of the fishcakes.

Paul B

• forum hero
Not Sheffiled based but its not really worthy of its own thread:

Does anyone know a good pub for food post Roaches climbing? Ideally it would allow dogs (even though the dog in attendance is sized similar to a cat).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's a strong look:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not Sheffiled based but its not really worthy of its own thread:

Does anyone know a good pub for food post Roaches climbing? Ideally it would allow dogs (even though the dog in attendance is sized similar to a cat).

Went to a wedding reception at the Three Shoes Inn and the food was good (although this was about two and a half years ago, no idea how the normal food compares to that these days).  Think they allowed dogs as my friends greyhound was with us.

The Travellers Rest is now the Kinghts Table, menu looked nice, but not eaten and no idea on dog policy.

Might be some more recommendations in the Peak Pubs -booze & grub.

jamiev

• regular

Lazy trout, meerbrook. Owner is chef/cook. Proper homemade great pub food. Excellent value too. Good beers. Friendly. Fire in winter. Dogs fine. (Paul - am duplicating fb message here as this pub deserves UKB custom - best pub food near roaches i reckon).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Recent eating out experiences:

Moran's - Went for my Mum's birthday last month. Excellent food again, lovely staff and reasonable considering the quality.

The York - Superb. On a par with the best meal I've ever had in a pub.

The Broadfield - OK. After The York and other people's reviews I was expecting a similarly high standard (seeing as they've based it on the same model / similar menu). It was in no way poor, just nothing amazing.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

The York - Superb. On a par with the best meal I've ever had in a pub.

Went again for my birthday on Monday and just to check that the standard wasn't a one off. Just as good. Every dish fantastic but it's worth going just for the wild boar scotch egg starter. Amazing.

Dolly

• forum hero
I've been there a couple of times and whilst the food was very nice I thought the portion sizes were too small.
I did mention this to them, but I don't think anyone else had a problem with it

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
someone was telling me that its the same people who have the York and the Broadfield. I like them both. Impressive whisky selection in the York.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I've been there a couple of times and whilst the food was very nice I thought the portion sizes were too small.

I thought they were spot on as I was able to trough three courses at lunchtime without feeling unpleasantly stuffed.

You're obviously just a greedy cunt.  :tease:

someone was telling me that its the same people who have the York and the Broadfield. I like them both. Impressive whisky selection in the York.

Yeah the same people who own the Forum etc.

Dolly

• forum hero
I only had the one course - but that should be enough
and yes... I am a greedy cunt - well always hungry anyway  :)

dave

Yeah the same people who own the Forum etc.

Awesome, can I get a moderator's discount Shark?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

There's an easy solution to this, do what we did and go for five courses!   :2thumbsup: Treated Mrs Obi to their 'Beer & Food night' last week, the title didn't do it justice, five courses of superb food accompanied by a fantastic selection of beers and a cider.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
My word - if they're doing that again I would make a special trip down!

Duma

• forum hero
my god that looks awesome!

franziskaner and mussels, mmmmmmm

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
That looks amazing value!!!!

Who went???

Give us the heads up next time.. UKB gastro nights are born

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
That looks amazing value!!!!
Yup.

Who went???

Mr and Mrs Obi. Brownie points all round from the Mrs as it was a surprise. :beer2:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
This is now my new fave beer

dave

Whatup, have any of you droogs been to the evening bistro at Bradfield Schoolrooms? Cos if its shit speak up in the next 24hours.....

dave

Ok went here tonight, very good food and reasonably priced, even the drinks.

www.theschoolrooms.co.uk/bistro/

Only quibble was they put ice in the beer glass.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
This is now my new fave beer

nuthin better with a prickly pear torta out of a taco truck, but it's one of those beers i've never revisted in this country, perhaps afraid of disappointment. It seems i should reconsider.

cofe

• forum hero
Just had pizzas from Italian Express in Walkley for the first time in a few months. Previously awesome, these were mediocre slop you get everywhere else, arguably worse. Waited ages too, very disappointed. Wondering if it's changed hands recently?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
heads up / thread resurrection..

Mrs FD and I had a midweek day off work on the same day today, first time in 5 years... with no kids as they are now all at school.

Hit the Angel at holmesfield for  lunch. Random decision.

open fire, just enough eating to give an atmosphere without being busy,  but felt lively... good service.

we love to eat fish when out... i had turbot and  sea trout combo, Mrs FD the halibut... we rarely eat deserts... to hell with it - had nothing else to do. All aspects good, even the coffee was on par.

A superb meal in all respects, Mrs FD got the wining dish.

I'll go back for sure.

BTW the starters looked huge!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Good knowledge FD.... A short (probably not that short in actual fact) dog-walk from our house - could be a good venue for a spot of mid-week, kid-free indulgence....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal