UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 204969 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Has anyone eaten at Make No Bones, vegan place on Chesterfield Rd? Thanks.

Sorry for the slow reply, just saw this. We've been a couple of times as we have a few vegan friends, it's very good. Menu tends to be 3 starters, 3 mains and 2 deserts but these are all changed out fairly frequently. Portions are large and as is often the case with vegan food, it's quite carb-heavy so leave plenty of room.

They're very good at vegan versions of non-vegan dishes, I've previously had "fried chicken" made from broccoli and jackfruit and my other half had "fish and chips" which involved battered seaweed-wrapped tofu. They're very creative and the range of flavours they can achieve within the limitations of veganism is very eye-opening for none-vegans like me. I'd certainly recommend it.

For vegan food in Sheff there's also BurgerLolz on Abbeydale Road, they do properly "loaded" vegan burgers and milkshakes, had a couple of good meals with veggie/vegan friends there too.

There's also one on Sharrow Vale thats meant to be good.  We tried to go for a work lunch there the other week but couldn't get in, guess that's a good sign.

And on that note,  Joro is fuly booked up Friday and Sat night for the next 5 weeks!!!!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
And on that note,  Joro is fuly booked up Friday and Sat night for the next 5 weeks!!!!

Think the word is spreading especially now they have a Michelin 'Bib'. Doubt it'll be long before they get a star and will be tempted to put up the prices and possibly move out of Sheffield. Hoping that's not the case. Go whilst you can.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I'm not making it up...
Jöro, Sheffield: ‘Some dishes are merely extremely good, others are downright extraordinary’ – restaurant review

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/03/joro-sheffield-restaurant-review-guardian-felicity-cloake

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Want a proper family Italian restaurant experience in west side of Sheffield? had a super fun time in a four day old restaurant in woodseats.. Da Vinci.. just off A61. Just off the dale, where it meets the A61. Old burger joint. Proper family run place. 5 people, 3 courses, 2 rounds of drinks, 2 rounds of free lemoncello, 105 quid. I'm going back.

it's not fast, they dont want it to be, it's not overladen with fat, the pizza is top drawer, the gnocchi like what mamma makes, and the sausage starter was just like what you get in the motherland. I did not have a coffee, I should have tried that, my bad. and the stuffed pasta is really really good. Yet to try fish or meat mains. I doubt anyone will have a shit time there, unless you want to order, eat and leave... that's not the intent. Great looking little proseco and cocktail bar downstairs too.. a welcome addition to the area.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Going there on Wednesday, based on your review. SO I know where you live if it's crap :-)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Some to avoid, mainly dodgy take aways, but surprised the Cross Sythes is listed. Only had a pint in there but looked fine.
https://www.thestar.co.uk/image-gallery/sheffield-s-zero-star-food-hygiene-gallery-1-8973387/8973392

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Wasabi Sabi: always quite liked this place in the past, although it's never had especially good sushi it's passable and a pleasant evening. Went at the weekend, sadly seems to have gone downhill drastically. Restaurant almost empty on a Friday night, terrible service and really tired looking sashimi that had been cut ages ago. Shame, hope it perks up again

Plattsy

• forum hero
Some to avoid, mainly dodgy take aways, but surprised the Cross Sythes is listed. Only had a pint in there but looked fine.
https://www.thestar.co.uk/image-gallery/sheffield-s-zero-star-food-hygiene-gallery-1-8973387/8973392
The Cross Sythes has changed hands recently. Had some food there a few weeks ago and it was very tasty.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
http://akentannos.co.uk

Brilliant place, great atmosphere, friendly staff, and excellent food.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
Bored on a nightshift so thought I'd stick in some recommendations for my favourite 3 restaurants..

The Rutland Arms in town, check out the specials board, had some really nice dishes here including deep fried black pudding (nicer than it sounds)

Murpuri tawa on London rd tother side of car lot next to Ozmen's, order the special, more curry than you can eat for a tenner a head

Golden Taste up near Highfield library on London rd, Hunan style cooking, heavy on the chilli's and the texture. They also do that hotpot thing where you cook meat and things in a boiling broth, it's Chinese cuisine but not as you know it.

Enjoy!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
They also do that hotpot thing where you cook meat and things in a boiling broth, it's Chinese cuisine but not as you know it.

Hotpot is one of the main things in Chongqing where they host a Bouldering World Cup every year and we always get taken out for at least one hotpot each visit. I might have to check it out, maybe get Seb and Echo down there.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Went to Frehiwet Habesha for the third time last night. Its absolutely brilliant Ethiopian food mainly served on big sharing platters. Pretty cheap too. Would recommend getting one of the meat or veggie sharing platters if you go. Service is a bit slow but definitely worth the wait. Wear warm clothes as it is pretty cold inside, I don't think they have central heating.

T_B

• forum hero
Just Falafs - Middle Eastern vegan food on Chesterfield Rd. Tasty, fresh, interesting flavours, big portions, quick and friendly service, embarrassingly cheap, now deliver. Recommended!

mark20

• junky
Ajantas Vegeatrian curry , on Abbeydale Rd. Been a few times now, great thali trays, cheap, and bring your own booze (little Tesco over the road). It’s all freshly made to order so isn’t quick , but the guy who runs it is really friendly.
The Two Thirds craft beer place next door is OK if you like that sort of thing, A bit pricey, and rammed Fri/Sat night.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal