UKBouldering.com

Help! Sheffield restaurant recommendations needed - now please! (Read 207007 times)

Plattsy

• forum hero
Went to Tin Tin last night (situated behind Waitrose on London Road - formally called Tin Po) and ordered from the Chinese based menu. Got some really interesting dishes. Of note the poached pork belly and crushed garlic starter was very good even though it was spicier than mentioned due to the puddle of chilli oil it was served with.

The beef fillet, fish fillet and beef belly hotpot dishes for mains were nice. The poached beef stew would've probably fed two which was tamed for us and still quite hot but the stand out dish was the Chongqing Chicken with chilli's. Rather suspicious cuts of chicken still on the bone, (unbeknown to me until it was pointed out, I just thought it was gristle) battered and fried served with lots and lots of red chilli's, fresh peppercorns and coriander. The whole dish was very dry and the chilli's were very warm. I had about 10 and sweated more than a vindaloo! I left a few............

If you wanna try some weird hot shit get yourself down there.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Thought I'd posted this photo but it doesn't seem to be there now. I'll try again. Plate of dried hot chilli's anyone?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'm not sure what you've tried to link to there but I certainly can't fix it!

That place sounds worth a visit.

Plattsy

• forum hero

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Looks like a dish for slackers!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Went to Fischers at Baslow for the first time today. Mrs Obi sorted out a Guardian offer that got us a lunch of 3 courses for £20. Pretty impressed, a couple of students were there with there mothers for an end of exam meal so we we're even the youngest! Food was mostly excellent, although the chef does seem  a bit keen on using 'foam/mousse' as we had one type or another on each course! That said the pea one was exceptional. All in pretty good, and a nice place to celebrate our first scan of Mini-Obi MkII  :thumbsup:

underground

• forum hero
Dosanj last Friday was mediocre, a touch unloved inside, and reeeeaalllyyyy overpriced for what is essentially, standard one pot curry fare, in spite of the scallops / monkfish etc. on offer.

I was very glad to be getting £30 off the bill courtesy of Charity Unleashed vouchers, I'd have been mortified otherwise.

Couldn't fault the friendliness of the waitress though, she was really nice and got a decent tip regardless of the grub...

Paul B

• forum hero
Emailed the milestone regarding our shit meal to which they responded saying they'd fix it if we were willing to try again, we responded ages ago saying we would. No reply  :thumbsdown:

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
I heard that the Milestone was really good? I was considering a pilgrimage, but maybe I won't bother.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Dosanj last Friday was mediocre, a touch unloved inside, and reeeeaalllyyyy overpriced for what is essentially, standard one pot curry fare, in spite of the scallops / monkfish etc. on offer.

I was very glad to be getting £30 off the bill courtesy of Charity Unleashed vouchers, I'd have been mortified otherwise.

Couldn't fault the friendliness of the waitress though, she was really nice and got a decent tip regardless of the grub...

Pretty much my sentiments too (we used the Charity Unleashed vouchers to visit too).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's still going then? Quite surprised. Posted about it here a while ago.

Paul B

• forum hero
I heard that the Milestone was really good? I was considering a pilgrimage, but maybe I won't bother.

read my last post on this if you need clarification.

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Yeah I went back and found it. Sounds very disappointing, particularly the apparent stupidity of everyone involved in your evening and the lack of any response to your complaint. It makes them seem kind of arrogant, as though they are above your criticism as they are becoming increasingly popular.
 I read a Jay Rayner article in the Guardian a while ago that made it sound good, that's all.  http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/may/23/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-milestone-sheffield

Paul B

• forum hero
I've eaten there a few times before (as I live 2 mins away from the Foundry) and had some ok/middling meals (never tried the upstairs). I did have Brunch there on my birthday and that was pretty darn good (Eggs Benedict/Florentine). One thing is for sure they do know how to fix a good cocktail, try the Hibiscus Mojito or a Leffe done right (the latter isn't ideal for these temps!).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
we've have had a pretty good meal down stairs and a pretty average meal upstairs. sounds like they have some off days, or a different chef who is not up to scratch.

Paul B

• forum hero
There's a Food Festival on in town today (presumably all weekend), some good food by the winter gardens etc.

Worth a look for anybody keeping half an eye on this thread.

Paul B

• forum hero
As I hadn't seen my other half for a while we popped out to Kitchen on Eccy road tonight.

The food was fantastic:
Fish cake with a poached egg and curried mayo to start
Followed by duck breast, slow cooked leg, celeriac pure and figs

(she had - Chicken and ham terrine
Herb crusted chicken on a chorizo and bean stew)

Everything I tasted was great although my duck dish would have been better minus the breast and plus another leg. Tasting the two side by side revealed slow cooking as the true winner.

The service was leisurely but not annoyingly slow. Cost was middling I'd say, it could get pricey depending on what you have (one starterwas £12).

This is what Thyme used to be (you can however book) and no longer is.

how is homemade at Nether edge cross roads?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Quote from: The Wondermule on another thread
She really likes Homemade at netheredge cross roads. Very nice, mainly veggie.

dave

As I hadn't seen my other half for a while we popped out to Kitchen on Eccy road tonight.

good arrows word, I've had my eye on this (30secs from our gaff) but not got round to going yet. might check it out cos we're due a meal out.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Interesting, off to Kitchen for a works do next week, was reading some good reports online so good to hear people agree on here. Will report back.

Paul B

• forum hero
hope I've got it right.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Ha ha. It's on our list after I explained to the Mrs that ultrapicky Bennett had recommended it. ;)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Went to Kitchen for the second time last night, excellent meal, I had whitebait followed by amazing rump of lamb, Mrs Obi had goats cheese tart with a whole round slice of goats cheese on top and cod wrapped in parma ham. Then we shared the white choc cheesecake and the cheese board. Service was excellent. The only minor thing I would criticise is the bread could be better. Interestingly on a review site they rave about the bread board but when I had it on my first visit it was pretty average, same last night on the cheese board. That said don't put it off you ordering the cheese board, they pick some amazing cheeses and their home-made chutney is pretty special too.

On another note, Jonty (previously impressed us when he was at West10) has opened a Cafe on Sharrowvale road, looks nice will be testing it out soon.

account_inactive

• forum hero
Another vote for Kitchen.  Went there for our anniversary and was very impressed.  Subdued surroundings and amazingly textured meals.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Went to Kitchen tonight for Ms Bubb's birthday spurred on by recommendations in this topic...

Thumbs up from me - haddock fishcakes with hollandaise sauce and poached egg starter, cod with bacon crust main and the cheese for afters were all extremely good. Great food in a cozy, unpretentious atmosphere. Will definitely be going back again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal