UKBouldering.com

Sprained Ankle (Read 1935 times)

Charles

• addict
Sprained Ankle
July 13, 2008, 11:49:00 am
Sprained my ankle by landing horribly on it yesterday. (Coming off Swastika Eyes - nearly got it though!)

Did a quick search on here and was a bit troubled to see that people seem to be requiring physio and can't get climbing properly until 3 - 4 months have passed.

Is this only for bad sprains? I don't know how bad mine is, but the doctor at A&E seemed mildly suprised my bones didn't break.

I'm currently RICEing it and have got a compression bandage on it inbetween ice. I'm also on Co-codomol. I can walk on it as long as I don't rotate/flex it.

How long am I looking at before I can climb on it again?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#1 Re: Sprained Ankle
July 14, 2008, 12:03:20 pm
try ibuprofen gel to help reduce swelling/inflamation

rest first couple of days (acute stage)

then get moving (not high loading forcing) but keep walking (try not to limp) - also try rotating your foot when sat down/writing the alphabet in the air with your toes.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Sprained Ankle
July 14, 2008, 12:23:48 pm
I've had many sprains (the price for climbing for many years before the invention of pads) and some have been as bad in terms of recovery time as the breaks I've also had. However, I would have thought the fact that you can walk on it the day after doing it suggests it might not be quite so bad. This is of course an extremely rough rule of thumb.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Sprained Ankle
July 14, 2008, 12:30:59 pm
try ibuprofen gel to help reduce swelling/inflamation

rest first couple of days (acute stage)

then get moving (not high loading forcing) but keep walking (try not to limp) - also try rotating your foot when sat down/writing the alphabet in the air with your toes.

:agree:

unless your under 20 years old and heal with the ferocity of a rabid dog I'd get to a good, recommended, private physio this week.. or kiss your bouldering goodbye for the summer.

Charles

• addict
#4 Re: Sprained Ankle
July 17, 2008, 05:21:44 pm
Well I am under 20. Not quite so sure about my healing capabilites though.

I've been icing the hell out of it and the swelling has gone down loads, not quite completely though, and its still a wonderful purple-y yellowish colour.

I can walk around pretty normally on it, maybe with a tad discomfort. Hoping to start strengthening it with some light running towards the end of next week.

If I can't get out bouldering I guess I'll have to just resume my affair with the fingerboard! 

DavidT

#5 Re: Sprained Ankle
July 18, 2008, 12:55:19 pm
Charles.

My advice would be not to push it too early. I shattered my ankle and had to take 6 months off about 8 years ago, then tried to put too much strength back into it too soon after the cast was off whilst still having physio. This led to a severe sprain which meant almost another 3 months off. I was cursing my self for not being willing to wait 3 weeks and ended up having to spend another 3 months off the rock.

Granted your case might not be so severe but bear in mind that you ankle has been weakened so its more susceptible to injuries now and at least for the next few months. Certainly no higballing for a while  :bounce:

Let me know if you want to know who i worked the strength back into my ankle, routines etc.

Rocketman Rob Smith

#6 Re: Sprained Ankle
July 18, 2008, 04:48:00 pm
Hi David

I would be really grateful if you could post some of the routines you used to  strengthen your ankle as I have also suffered a nasty sprain and it doesn't seem to want to go in a hurry.

I have a wobble board and some theraband which I'm currently using to try and gain strength but any additional help would be much appreciated as my summer is not looking to great at the moment.

Thanks a lot

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal