Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Ring finger injury
July 16, 2008, 11:59:23 pm
My left hand ring finger on the section closest to the hand is giving me some jip recently. Thought it had calmed down but after 1 go on perfect day direct start it was killing again. Put some tape on and it didn't bother me again (crushed PDDS after)
It mainly hurts after I've not been climbing on it for a couple of days and hurts when I pull with it or compress around the bone on it with my other hand.
I haven't taken any ibuprofn for a while (I shit you not), will this help it, is it likely to last for a while and whats the best solution for quick healing of this important finger
Tarly muchly

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#1 Re: Ring finger injury
July 17, 2008, 12:09:57 am
Icing the fuck out of any finger injury always helps me. Get a bowl big enough to fit your whole hand in, fill it with loads of icecubes (enough to last about 10mins) and then fill with water. Submerge hand for 10 mins, it will kill if its cold enough but man up and take it- (almost the hot aches stage when it starts to reheat). Do this everyday and give it a bit of rest from climbing. Maybe a bit of massage if it feels stiff with scar tissue. This has worked for me so many times. Save your stomach lining from ibuprofen - Ice is king!

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#2 Re: Ring finger injury
July 17, 2008, 10:52:50 am
Probably been posted before but this deals with finger injury's pretty comprehensively

http://www.davemacleod.com/articles/pullyinjuries.html

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Ring finger injury
July 17, 2008, 11:19:19 am
If it's any consolation Jim, I'm having the same trouble.  Had it for 2 weeks despite icing and massage.  Started one evening after doing some crimpy dynos at Brownstones (of all things).  FIne whilst climbing, several hours later it started to ache.
Gives me pain whenever I crimp, but tolerable when taped to fuck.  Open handing is fine.
Really, I should rest it.   :-\

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Ring finger injury
July 17, 2008, 12:55:19 pm
Don't finger your ring so much...

philo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Ring finger injury
July 18, 2008, 11:37:59 pm
i went to the physio today about this same injury on my left hand, its been a dull ache for a few months now but doesnt hurt when i climb on it, dont even use tape.  just after or if i catch a hold dodgy.
i have a pack of deep heat which im using to get the full flexability back in my finger as it hurts when i stretch it on odd directions.  deep heat then slow stretches like open hand to clenched fist etc.  the hot/cold method also works aswell but i only really feel it helps if i have done the injury recently, like if i have tweaked it more or caught it wrong.
this is my, recent problem which feels better already

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal