UKBouldering.com

Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering. (Read 16180 times)

granticus

• forum abuser
Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 12:00:37 pm
We're holding a gathering at the wonderful Exmoor seaside resort of Lynmouth to show peeps around the bouldering we have been developing over the last 3 years. 

Meeting at 2pm on Saturday 26th April on the green opposite the aptly named Rock Inn.

Anyone interested is welcome to join us.......... 

I will attempt to post some piccies to give an impression of what is on offer, suffice to say it is excellent bouldering venue and well worth a look if you're in the area.

granticus

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 12:19:45 pm

granticus

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 12:21:19 pm
Oh bother! That didn't work - Could someone please advise the technophobe on how to post piccies...  I really am clueless!  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 12:27:12 pm
Oh bother! That didn't work - Could someone please advise the technophobe on how to post piccies...  I really am clueless!  :-\

Theres an overview here

If the picture you want to post is already on-line then go to that web-page, right-click on the image and select "Open in New Tab/Window", then copy the URL from the address bar.

In your post put that URL between [ img] and [ /img] (removing the space that follows the opening brackets in the text to the left.  You can alternatively use the third button in on the second row to insert these 'tags' and then paste your URL between them.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 01:21:11 pm

granticus

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 02:12:45 pm

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:30:22 pm by granticus, Reason: photo link doesn\'t work!!! »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 02:23:42 pm
UKC won't let you link  :lol: post it somewhere else and then link it.

Nice pic

granticus

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 02:33:49 pm
Cheers..
UKC are meanies...  I truly am showing my ignorance.  Now....I'll start a flickr account thingy and try again.  I love the fact that you are sitting there laughing at my lame attempts to post a piccie and that you can sort it so quickly!   :shrug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 02:46:52 pm
There is a UKB flickr account i think you can use?

No Jam? No Throwdown?

granticus

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 02:56:58 pm
Thanks and don't Start SA Chris, there's no pleasing some people. Love and Respect  :kiss2:

OK let's see if this works.  Mike on Batman's Wall Lynmouth East (Point Perilous).  Hopefully!

Oh Yes!!  I am a full on computer whizz kid! Thanks starfish and slack for your guide which has enlightened me!

granticus

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 03:10:51 pm
A few more.. Grades are from Easy to Font 7c ish, well over 100 problems, there are projects to go and more areas to be explored by the adventerous!  Watch out for the massive tidal range...  Having bouldered a lot at other North Devon areas (Northcott, Sandymouth, Hartland, Upton etc. I can confirm a)that this area is quality and b) there is a far higher concentration of bouldering.

Tutan Come On - Font 5+ - Giza Area

Slopey Traverse - Sit Start Extension - Font 7b

The Joker and the Thief - Font 6b

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 03:12:31 pm
There is a UKB flickr account group

You still need an account for yourself, then you can post them to the group (they may even appear on the UKB front-page too).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 03:21:29 pm

What is that on the back of his head?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 03:25:22 pm
No worries Granticus. Looks mint actually, pity it's the other end of the country to me. Wish I had known about it when I lived in Bristol, or when I was last in Lynmouth for a wedding and waves were flat.

granticus

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 03:39:35 pm
Heh starfish! That's me and it's my curly locks not the small furry animal that I think you are suspecting. The hair has since got longer and looks less like a syrup stuck to the back of my head!!

Chris - All Cool. Shame that you live so far away... it is probably the ultimate extreme sports destination..... when the river is in flood apparently it's a very gnarly high standard kayakist's dream...when the surf break is on it is one of the best waves in the country IMO...... the bouldering is fantastic... and to top it all it's a very beautiful place.  Discovering lots of unclimbed boulders at a spot like this has been a great experience.  We felt it was time to share and allow others to enjoy!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 03:54:04 pm

it is probably the ultimate extreme sports destination..... when the river is in flood apparently it's a very gnarly high standard kayakist's dream...when the surf break is on it is one of the best waves in the country IMO...... the bouldering is fantastic... and to top it all it's a very beautiful place.  Discovering lots of unclimbed boulders at a spot like this has been a great experience.  We felt it was time to share and allow others to enjoy!

Throw in some winter climbing and skiing and, remove the grockles, it would be the ultimate. Actually it would be Scotland :)

granticus

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 04:04:25 pm
Scotland!  There must be a downside?

Grockles vs. Midges which is the most irritating??? 

Could be grockles but that only gets ridiculous for 6 weeks a year and if you're proper local you know where to go to avoid the hordes!  However, midges always will always find their dinner.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 11:06:39 pm
Not East Coast, very few over here. Midgies may be a menace but not as painful as snapping a board on a grock's head.

Paz

• junky
#18 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 11:25:54 pm
You've kept this to yourselves for three years, and now I have to wait another month?  Are we going to have to go through initiations or something?  I know it was hinted at it in the guidebook, but jesus, throw the fucking dogs a bone!  Where is it dammit ;-)!

P.S.  Details required, campsite, local pubs, trad potential. 

P.P.S Nice work.

Duma

• forum hero
#19 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 11:26:47 pm
granticus - can't make the meet up but would like to check this area out - is there any info available online?

KH

• addict
#20 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 27, 2008, 11:58:42 pm
We're holding a gathering at the wonderful Exmoor seaside resort of Lynmouth to show peeps around the bouldering we have been developing over the last 3 years. 

Meeting at 2pm on Saturday 26th April on the green opposite the aptly named Rock Inn.

Anyone interested is welcome to join us.......... 

I will attempt to post some piccies to give an impression of what is on offer, suffice to say it is excellent bouldering venue and well worth a look if you're in the area.

I get back from Font on this day so can't make it, but would love to come down and try out the new venue some other time.  I'm based in South Wales so not too far for me.  Is there going to be a guide available?

granticus

• forum abuser
#21 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 28, 2008, 11:01:54 am
Paz - You don't have to wait a month!  Go to Lynmouth.. Park by the harbour or sea wall.  Walk across the footbridge over the river Lyn, past the Rock Inn.  Keep walking east along the beach, you'll get to the first area of boulders in about 5mins,  keep walking eastwards and you'll find more.  Around low tide is better BUT DO NOT GET CUT OFF!  Tell us when you're going and we'll arrange the initiation for you!  'You're not from round 'ere are you?'....

Loads of campsites in North Devon, including one at Lynbridge on the hill down into Lynmouth.. Pubs, cafes, chippy, all the usual tourist trappings etc.. all next to parking, Open March to October... Winter goes into ghost town mode but parking is free and the surf break works more regularly!!

There is lots of trad potential on the Exmoor coast Martin Crocker is the man in the know or visit Terry Cheek's website. http://www.exmoor92.fsnet.co.uk/Exmoor%20Coast%20Climbing/ Full Exmoor traverse anyone?

We (myself and Mike) are putting a bouldering guide together which is nearing completion... other than that there is no other information available.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to arrange to meet and be shown around another time.. PM me and I will try to arrange.

And Some more teasers..

Goofy Foot Traverse

One for the surfers - Goofy Foot Paradise!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 28, 2008, 11:11:24 am
Tis a thing of beauty.  Got it like that once in my sponging days, would love to get on it now I can surf properly, and brush up on those back-hand skills.

Resonate

• addict
#23 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 28, 2008, 08:59:44 pm
I'm there for sure! tho you did manage to pick the only day of the year that apparently the cornwall bunch were going to head to Bovey Woods...

will bring others too.

Anyway... msg me contact details.

What are the tide times that day? they have been checked yes?

cheers~

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#24 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 28, 2008, 09:41:13 pm
Nothing like a good bit of new rock.  I keep missing the meets due to work and family, but I actually have bugger all on that weekend - I shall try and get  the Taffia on the road.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal