UKBouldering.com

Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering. (Read 16179 times)

Idol eyes

• junky
#25 !!!
March 29, 2008, 10:36:14 am
Will try to make it!!!

granticus

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
March 30, 2008, 12:40:26 am
Chris _ tis a thing of beauty and was working today!!  Good Stuff!  Shame the boulders were wet otherwise it would've been on the classic Lynmouth double session!

Res _ Bugger! Bovey gathering on the same day... We didn't realise. PM me and I'll forward contact details...   :o Tides!? Didn't think about that! 

:lol: ...Come on. What do you take us for........  Halfway between neaps and springs.. Low is around 3.30...  Meeting time is based on LOTS of experience of the area.

As stated before anyone welcome............  Just praying for decent weather.

Idol eyes

• junky
#27 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 12, 2008, 09:21:59 pm
Wanna meet up this weekend coming? thinking of Bonehills or something!!! never been north of Carn Brea! any one???

granticus

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 17, 2008, 01:55:31 pm
Wanna meet up this weekend coming? thinking of Bonehills or something!!! never been north of Carn Brea! any one???

Don't you need a passport to get out of Cornwall???

Would love to get out this weekend.. However...  RAIN is due... :thumbsdown:

Idol eyes

• junky
#29 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 18, 2008, 11:06:12 am
Surfs on this WE... Is there a chance of Lynmouth workin???

granticus

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 21, 2008, 02:20:09 pm
Idol - Sorry for slow reply and too late for the weekend.

However .....normally wouldn't share this sort of knowledge but as it is a bouldering forum and not a surfing one, no one will be interested apart from you!

Here's the gen...  First off, the swell was way too weak for the Lyndaka to work this weekend just gone.  You need a good 7ft to 8ft of groundswell (ie. it needs to be 4ft+ on the Atlantic beaches Wooly, Croyde, Saunton etc...) preferably from a westerly direction although south westerly direction.  Remember the swell has got to squeeze round into the Bristol Channel unlike the beaches that face the Atlantic.  Next you need the wind to be either non existant or from the south.  South easterlies can whip down the Bristol Channel, as can south westerlies and ruin the shape of the surf.  Finally, the preferred time for most to surf is low-tide on the push.  The wave is a perfect lefthander that peels round the cobblestone point.  The break to the west of the river mouth is shorter/faster and to the east slower/ longer.  Rumour has it that there is also a barreling right hander on certain tides and certain swells. I can't confirm or deny this rumour... :whistle:  Besides I hate going right!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 21, 2008, 03:44:05 pm
Goof!

I am getting the hang of going left and really enjoying it. Rode a couple of big ones when we were on N Uist last summer.

We used to optimistically look in at lynmouth quite regularly on surf trips to Croyde etc during winter (more swell, less traffic in winter), but only got it good once.

granticus

• forum abuser
#32 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 23, 2008, 02:50:22 pm
'Goof!' absolutely! Although I never can understand why some people get to be called 'regular' and us people that face the other way are 'goofy'!  It certainly pays to be a goof when it comes to breaks like Lynmouth...

L Mouth is not an everyday surf break, it works on special occasions only!  Rips are strong and you're surfing over rocks the whole time.  If you're not totally competent, don't go out there!!! Also...if things aren't right it will be rubbish.....It's long way out to check if it's working as well.  It takes me around 20 to 30mins to get out there from home...  I now have a pretty solid understanding of when it will be on form and 99% of time will not waste the petrol to get out there.  Anyhow bringing things back onto the thread......  You can always go for a boulder instead...

granticus

• forum abuser
#33 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 25, 2008, 03:56:50 pm
http://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=lynmouth

Weather forecast above for tommorow ^ No rain 0mm all day! Hurrah!  :thumbsup:

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#34 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 25, 2008, 05:18:44 pm
Hi there

was going to come up but bit busy this weekend, looks like you got some good weather! anothertime I'll drop a line.

Andy

Resonate

• addict
#35 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 27, 2008, 08:47:45 pm
Well, i don't know about anyone else, but i had a great time!
Barney Carver got a load of photos, hope to see some soon.
cheers all~

granticus

• forum abuser
#36 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
April 28, 2008, 04:14:32 pm
:beer2:  Cheers to everyone who came along on Saturday!

There were about 20 of us it total and I believe everyone had a splendid day out.  It was great to see people enjoying the problems there and enjoying each others company.  Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere all day. 

I think Ashley wins the award for coming the furthest from Milton Keynes!

Weather was great, rock was a little damp in places because the wind was from wrong direction but still plenty of dry stuff to be had.

Andy, anytime just give us a shout, weekends are normally good for me....  It was also commented upon that it would be good to do something similar down your way...hint.......hint....  West Penwith here we come!!

Maybe we could start up a bouldering area twinning scheme and do exchanges  :lol:

KH

• addict
#37 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
May 01, 2008, 03:58:37 pm
Well, i don't know about anyone else, but i had a great time!
Barney Carver got a load of photos, hope to see some soon.
cheers all~

Where are the photo's.  Couldn't make the meet and I'm really interested to see what the problems are like.

granticus

• forum abuser
#38 Re: Exmoor Coast Boulder Gathering.
May 08, 2008, 12:46:28 pm
I have posted some (not so good) photos from the meet in the 'places to visit - UK and Eire' section and shared them with UKBouldering Flickr group.  So they may appear on the front page of this site also.
 :thumbsup: Granticus

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal