UKBouldering.com

fingerboard and campusboard cycles (Read 16202 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 21, 2008, 01:25:44 pm
Days ago in the gym with the guru we were talking about campus board and fingerboard
routines. They are semi-specific tools, so they stimulate specific climbing
related muscles, but in a very simple movement scheme.
the guru thinks they should be used in short, high intensity cycles, he says no
more than 6 SESSIONS usually every other day or 3 sessions for 2 weeks in
total, that are enough to produce enormous gains, due to better neural activation and recruitment. THEN
we have to transform them with a super specific tool: CLIMBING WALL.
A friend (EXPERIENCED AND TRAINED CLIMBER) was saying he can’t deadhang
ON VERY LITTLE HOLDS (TO IMPROVE FINGER STRENGTH), because clearly
he had left behind this aspect of his training. the guru suggested that FEW
SESSIONS will produce the required effect, and that after that he should
go back IMMEDIATELY to the climbing wall, since deadhanging gains will
almost stop, and since anyway there is no direct relation between deadhanging and
climbing performance.
So, briefly, he thinks that fingerboard and campusboard are
short term training tools, that have to be abandoned as soon as the
progresses start to slow down or when progresses become less evident, before
saturating out body.
my friend for example, will improve his deadhanging times in few sessions, twice or even three times his
starting times, but subsequent gains will become just self aimed,
useless, because the progress curve is not linear: it becomes flatter
and flatter. once the tool has given you a very high impulse, the goal
is obtained. for those who have a climbing wall, campusboard and
fingerboard are complementary tools, that in guru's opinion should be used
in short, high intensity cycles.

What do you think?
What is your
direct experience?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 21, 2008, 02:16:32 pm
My experience is that there is a +ve corellation between camussing, injury, & down-time.

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 21, 2008, 04:11:19 pm
last time i had a campus routine,i ended being a cyclist for 6 years.i find that deadhanging i can hang two handed on most the holds on my board with added weights but i'm absolutely nowhere one handed and this never seems to change even after doing it in a structured way.
i only do it when i can't climb.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 21, 2008, 06:47:56 pm
If you mean 6 weeks=6 sessions then this is a minimum amount of time for adaption in sport science cycles.  I usually fingerboard for 6 sessions/weeks and then take a month or so off.  After the last cycle I took time off and then was able to complete the same routine fairly OK.  The trick is to bump up the intensity to avoid boredom/plateaus. Of course I got bored and need to construct a harder routine that will still be doable in 6 weeks.

I've never used campus boards for very long either. I usually try to get to a decent standard 1-4-7 small/ 1-5-8 medium and then stop.  In the past I've used them just to make sure my power levels were back to normal.  If I had regular access to one I might be tempted to try harder exercises but I'm not sure about the direct links to improving my climbing compared to more time climbing. I suppose it depends on your personal strength/weaknesses

So in a long winded way, yes.  Training tools should be used for short intense periods and cycled with climbing depending on your goals/strengths/weaknesses

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#4 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 21, 2008, 08:54:47 pm
I haven't campused for some time, but my experience was that the biggest gains I made were all in the first couple of weeks.
Whatever you train for, even hypertrophy, the gains you make in the first couple of weeks are neural, after that physical adaptations start to take over (depending on load/rep/rest structure).
My deadhanging is aimed at promoting hypertrophy, so it has to be done long term - I look at 6-12 weeks to make any lasting changes. But because it's hypertrophy training it doesn't matter if you're not 100% fresh when you train (unlike power), so I do a session after a day at the crag (providing I'm not completely trashed). This way it doesn't interfere with my climbing, and I don't have to worry about a conversion phase.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 21, 2008, 09:46:30 pm
Initial changes to muscle strength are due to neural factors (motor unit activation, firing frequency, input from the opposite side of the spinal cord, input from muscle spindles and reflexes, input from lower and higher spinal cord levels). Over time, the increased rate of neural activation decreases to a slower rate and muscle hypertrophy commences (this is postulated to be stimulated by the neural system). The muscle cross sectional area (CSA) increases with continued training. This also results in increased strength. The CSA does not increase to the same extent as the muscle strength. The total strength increase is a combination of increased neural activation and muscle hypertrophy.

I haven't campused for some time, but my experience was that the biggest gains I made were all in the first couple of weeks.
Whatever you train for, even hypertrophy, the gains you make in the first couple of weeks are neural, after that physical adaptations start to take over (depending on load/rep/rest structure).
My deadhanging is aimed at promoting hypertrophy, so it has to be done long term - I look at 6-12 weeks to make any lasting changes. But because it's hypertrophy training it doesn't matter if you're not 100% fresh when you train (unlike power), so I do a session after a day at the crag (providing I'm not completely trashed). This way it doesn't interfere with my climbing, and I don't have to worry about a conversion phase.

Have you measured this hypertrophy as a increased muscle cross sectional area? and if so what are your gains

Serpico

• forum hero
#6 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 21, 2008, 10:47:58 pm
I did try measuring overall CSA but gave up after inconsistencies with the measurement details: which part of the arm, flexed or relaxed, pre/post training. In the end I just use 1RM tests as a measure of improvement. My Deadhanging routine is 10x10secs with 5secs rest intervals. Originally it was 4x30s with 1min rests, but I think this is too long without flexing the joints to lubricate them. It's loosely based on studies that have shown greater CSA and strength increases with isometric exercise at longer durations, and increased CSA/strength with exercises done with either tourniquet or intra-muscular  pressure (through isometric contraction) induced ischaemia.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 22, 2008, 05:44:19 pm

I'd agree with this, its also worth remebering that its generally a huge leap (pull?) between your level and the next level up, e.g. 1-3-5 to 1-4-7, thats a massive step. This limits their usability for long periods of time because you just can't expect gains of that size to keep on coming.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#8 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 22, 2008, 06:05:35 pm
I did try measuring overall CSA but gave up after inconsistencies with the measurement details: which part of the arm, flexed or relaxed, pre/post training. In the end I just use 1RM tests as a measure of improvement. My Deadhanging routine is 10x10secs with 5secs rest intervals. Originally it was 4x30s with 1min rests, but I think this is too long without flexing the joints to lubricate them. It's loosely based on studies that have shown greater CSA and strength increases with isometric exercise at longer durations, and increased CSA/strength with exercises done with either tourniquet or intra-muscular  pressure (through isometric contraction) induced ischaemia.

I would be interested in reading these studies, can you provide a link or post an attachment?

In my experience, as long as the volume is low, campusboarding has been safe - year round.  As you progress, it is worthy to note whether plateau's are technical or kinetic in nature.  For example, climbers who latch whatever rung they're going to - then sink, straight arm, seem to be unable to activate their shoulder girdle properly and can not ladder to the next rung they're going for.  Climbers who latch the rung with a bent arm/active shoulder adduction are ready to ladder to the next rung using a short-powerful down (eccentric) movement (akin to jumping up for a basketball for the tip-off), before the concentric up movement.

Serpico

• forum hero
#9 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 22, 2008, 07:03:28 pm
I would be interested in reading these studies, can you provide a link or post an attachment?

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x6x412x072t6rp14/
http://www.springerlink.com/content/wpe10qlxf4lwackl/
http://www.springerlink.com/content/v0236x1q62550380/

There are a couple more but at the moment I can't find them.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#10 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 22, 2008, 08:07:25 pm
Cheers for those

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#11 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 03:33:05 pm
this is very interesting.
campusing seems to be very very complicated in its nature: for some time i have campused regularly, and despite having a few top notch sessions, sometimes i seemed to hit a plateu, in my case this is if i can't do 158 right hand every time i try.
two days ago, without much serious campusing during the winter, as i've said in the blog, i went and could campus 158 right hand first try, and then with 5 kilos on.
for sure mu overall power has increased alot his winter, but is this enough? facts prove it to be enough because i did it, but maybe something still escapes me: i mean, did i really campused (technically speaking) or did i just do some one armers on the rungs?
is this second option spoiling the real gains of campus boarding?

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#12 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 03:56:22 pm
My Deadhanging routine is 10x10secs with 5secs rest intervals. Originally it was 4x30s with 1min rests, but I think this is too long without flexing the joints to lubricate them. It's loosely based on studies that have shown greater CSA and strength increases with isometric exercise at longer durations, and increased CSA/strength with exercises done with either tourniquet or intra-muscular  pressure (through isometric contraction) induced ischaemia.

Is your goal to increase MVC (Maximal Voluntary Contraction), CSA (Cross-Sectional Area) or AT (Anaerobic Threshold)?  The rest periods seem to be too short to recover from a 'Max Strength' protocol or period.  As the paper you provided suggested, they ran their program at 2s on w/3s rest with 40% MVC - suggesting that this is a 'Hypertrophy' protocol instead of 'Max Strength'.  Is 10x10sec a specific period or what you are doing year round?

Thanks for the links provided

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#13 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 04:40:41 pm
campusing seems to be very very complicated in its nature: for some time i have campused regularly, and despite having a few top notch sessions, sometimes i seemed to hit a plateu, in my case this is if i can't do 158 right hand every time i try.
two days ago, without much serious campusing during the winter, as i've said in the blog, i went and could campus 158 right hand first try, and then with 5 kilos on.
for sure mu overall power has increased alot his winter, but is this enough? facts prove it to be enough because i did it, but maybe something still escapes me: i mean, did i really campused (technically speaking) or did i just do some one armers on the rungs?

I think it would be helpful to videorecord two angles of your campussing to determine if you are getting the correct technical movement.  In my experience, climbers can ladder to a higher rung 3 ways; 1. use the momentum gained by the pulling of both arms (while outstretched - say, 1-3 or 1-4) and subsequent press out of the lower hand to gain a higher rung.  These climbers tend to do the shortest distance. 2. use the momentum from the initial pull with both arms (as in #1), press out with the lower arm and be able to 'lock off' the upper - but still unable to gain vertical height, and advance the lower hand to a higher rung.  These climbers, don't get me wrong - while still very advanced, tend to be able to do 1-4-6/1-4-7.  Solidly respectable, but not elite.  3. use the momentum from the initial pull with both arms (as in #1), press out with the lower arm until it is fully outstretched and gain vertical height with the upper hand - resembling a 1 arm, to latch the higher/highest rung.  These climbers, usually get 1-5-8/1-5-9.

In my experience, some of the technical miscues are as follows; 1. lower body not in concert with the pull of the upper body.  As one is pulling up, the knees or legs should travel upward.  This usually ends sometime during the lower hand passing the upper hand.  2. straightening the upper arm as soon as it latches the upper rung.  The climber, unless unusually strong from this position, tends to adduct the shoulder girdle but not bend at the elbow subsequently only being able to reach slightly higher the the upper hand. 3. not pull with both arms while in the outstretched position, say 1-3/1-4.  It appears that they try to 'lock off' the upper, outstretched arm, and press out only with the lower hand - usually resulting in matching the same rung or gaining 1 higher.  4. weighting the Center of Gravity (CG) over the lower hand too much after the initial pull.  Obviously a mechanical advantage to twist toward the upper rung, however, once latched, I think climbers have a difficult time activating both arms to pull to gain vertical height in this position.  It seems they 'lock off; the outstretched arm and, again, try to do everything from the lower hand press out.  5. on crimpers, climbers with less ability seem to pull their CG up and away from the holds creating a horizontal angle with the forearm : crimp.  The better climbers seem to pull toward the upper hand, aiming their face toward the higher held rung which keeps the forearm : crimp angle low/somewhat vertical angle - giving a more positive hold.

I would be very interested in hearing from others who campus regularly, possibly in a group - getting to view many different strengths and weaknesses of others, to read what their observations are.

Physiological adaptation to Sport is indeed very complicated.  Unfortunately, climbing is less-researched than other 'linear' (technically staying very similar throughout the event, ie...swimming/sprinting/cycling) sports, possibly due to the high variation in technique, strength, power and kinanthropomorphic aspects to each problem (not to mention mental/perceptual issues).  For those who are interested in fatigue as related to Sport, the Journal of Physiology did a special publication Jan. 08 on Olympians:

ADDIN EN.CITE  ADDIN EN.CITE.DATA (1-21)

ADDIN EN.REFLIST 1.   Amann M, Dempsey JA. Locomotor muscle fatigue modifies central motor drive in healthy humans and imposes a limitation to exercise performance. J Physiol 2008;586:161-73.
2.   Burgomaster KA, Howarth KR, Phillips SM, Rakobowchuk M, MacDonald MJ, McGee SL, Gibala MJ. Similar metabolic adaptations during exercise after low volume sprint interval and traditional endurance training in humans. J Physiol 2008;586:151-60.
3.   Crandall CG, Wilson TE, Marving J, Vogelsang TW, Kjaer A, Hesse B, Secher NH. Effects of passive heating on central blood volume and ventricular dimensions in humans. J Physiol 2008;586:293-301.
5.   Enoka RM, Duchateau J. Muscle fatigue: what, why and how it influences muscle function. J Physiol 2008;586:11-23.
6.   Hasegawa H, Piacentini MF, Sarre S, Michotte Y, Ishiwata T, Meeusen R. Influence of brain catecholamines on the development of fatigue in exercising rats in the heat. J Physiol 2008;586:141-9.
7.   Hawley JA. Specificity of training adaptation: time for a rethink? J Physiol 2008;586:1-2.
8.   Joyner MJ, Coyle EF. Endurance exercise performance: the physiology of champions. J Physiol 2008;586:35-44.
9.   Karayannidou A, Deliagina TG, Tamarova ZA, Sirota MG, Zelenin PV, Orlovsky GN, Beloozerova IN. Influences of sensory input from the limbs on feline corticospinal neurons during postural responses. J Physiol 2008;586:247-63.
10.   Koch LG, Britton SL. Aerobic metabolism underlies complexity and capacity. J Physiol 2008;586:83-95.
12.   Levine BD. : what do we know, and what do we still need to know? J Physiol 2008;586:25-34.
13.   Lundby C, Boushel R, Robach P, Moller K, Saltin B, Calbet JAL. During hypoxic exercise some vasoconstriction is needed to match O2 delivery with O2 demand at the microcirculatory level. J Physiol 2008;586:123-30.
15.   Magnusson SP, Narici MV, Maganaris CN, Kjaer M. Human tendon behaviour and adaptation, in vivo. J Physiol 2008;586:71-81.
16.   Morse CI, Degens H, Seynnes OR, Maganaris CN, Jones DA. The acute effect of stretching on the passive stiffness of the human gastrocnemius muscle tendon unit. J Physiol 2008;586:97-106.
17.   Nielsen JB, Cohen LG. The olympic brain. Does corticospinal plasticity play a role in acquisition of skills required for high-performance sports? J Physiol 2008;586:65-70.
18.   Tanaka H, Seals DR. Endurance exercise performance in Masters athletes: age-associated changes and underlying physiological mechanisms. J Physiol 2008;586:55-63.
20.   Volianitis S, Fabricius-Bjerre A, Overgaard A, Stromstad M, Bjarrum M, Carlson C, Petersen NT, Rasmussen P, Secher NH, Nielsen HB. The cerebral metabolic ratio is not affected by oxygen availability during maximal exercise in humans. J Physiol 2008;586:107-12.
21.   Williams AG, Folland JP. Similarity of polygenic profiles limits the potential for elite human physical performance. J Physiol 2008;586:113-21.

Serpico

• forum hero
#14 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 05:01:22 pm
Is your goal to increase MVC (Maximal Voluntary Contraction), CSA (Cross-Sectional Area) or AT (Anaerobic Threshold)?  The rest periods seem to be too short to recover from a 'Max Strength' protocol or period.  As the paper you provided suggested, they ran their program at 2s on w/3s rest with 40% MVC - suggesting that this is a 'Hypertrophy' protocol instead of 'Max Strength'.  Is 10x10sec a specific period or what you are doing year round?

The goal is to increase CSA. The rest periods were chosen to be just long enough to flex the joints and reset on the holds. As I mentioned previously I didn't measure CSA before and after (Iwish I had), but I did measure MVC which went from 1-2 secs one arm deadhang to 7 secs deadhang in 8 weeks.
I'm not deadhanging at the moment (I'm recovering from an bouldering injury), but when I resume I'll do a few weeks of 10x10 and then a few weeks of MVCs. I haven't campused in a couple of years but I think I'd probably benefit from a couple of weeks every couple of months.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#15 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 06:51:58 pm

I think it would be helpful to videorecord two angles of your campussing to determine if you are getting the correct technical movement.  In my experience, climbers can ladder to a higher rung 3 ways; 1. use the momentum gained by the pulling of both arms (while outstretched - say, 1-3 or 1-4) and subsequent press out of the lower hand to gain a higher rung.  These climbers tend to do the shortest distance. 2. use the momentum from the initial pull with both arms (as in #1), press out with the lower arm and be able to 'lock off' the upper - but still unable to gain vertical height, and advance the lower hand to a higher rung.  These climbers, don't get me wrong - while still very advanced, tend to be able to do 1-4-6/1-4-7.  Solidly respectable, but not elite.  3. use the momentum from the initial pull with both arms (as in #1), press out with the lower arm until it is fully outstretched and gain vertical height with the upper hand - resembling a 1 arm, to latch the higher/highest rung.  These climbers, usually get 1-5-8/1-5-9.

In my experience, some of the technical miscues are as follows; 1. lower body not in concert with the pull of the upper body.  As one is pulling up, the knees or legs should travel upward.  This usually ends sometime during the lower hand passing the upper hand.  2. straightening the upper arm as soon as it latches the upper rung.  The climber, unless unusually strong from this position, tends to adduct the shoulder girdle but not bend at the elbow subsequently only being able to reach slightly higher the the upper hand. 3. not pull with both arms while in the outstretched position, say 1-3/1-4.  It appears that they try to 'lock off' the upper, outstretched arm, and press out only with the lower hand - usually resulting in matching the same rung or gaining 1 higher.  4. weighting the Center of Gravity (CG) over the lower hand too much after the initial pull.  Obviously a mechanical advantage to twist toward the upper rung, however, once latched, I think climbers have a difficult time activating both arms to pull to gain vertical height in this position.  It seems they 'lock off; the outstretched arm and, again, try to do everything from the lower hand press out.  5. on crimpers, climbers with less ability seem to pull their CG up and away from the holds creating a horizontal angle with the forearm : crimp.  The better climbers seem to pull toward the upper hand, aiming their face toward the higher held rung which keeps the forearm : crimp angle low/somewhat vertical angle - giving a more positive hold.

I think this can be summed up as being the technique element of campusing.  If gaining the most height is the goal then you are correct, however this is not that standard a move in climbing (correct me if I'm  wrong). I would say that it is very unusual to have to hit a hold dynamically and then move off it immediately without feet.  I'm sure that there are examples of problems like this, but I bet there are not many.  I can however think of many moves that involve hitting a hold and then moving again footless by a combination of pushing and pulling. What would be interesting to research is the power gains from the 'flick' movement that you describe. I would think that the research would show why there isn't such a direct link between better campusing and better climbers........

account_inactive

• forum hero
#16 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 07:04:14 pm

I assume this is on a standard campus board.  Are you using the small rungs?   

I started a PhD researching various climbing tools and their links to climbing performance (though dropped out after a year).  I'd wondered if there would be an average ability in all of these tools at various climbing levels e.g. the average font 8a climber could do a one arm pull up.  Of course it could always be argued that the ability to perform these feats of strength did not relate to performance but I'm sure the stats would have sorted that out!

It would be interesting to know what grade you climb Nibile, but I'm guessing you would get more gains elsewhere.

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#17 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 07:50:10 pm
The goal is to increase CSA. The rest periods were chosen to be just long enough to flex the joints and reset on the holds. As I mentioned previously I didn't measure CSA before and after (Iwish I had), but I did measure MVC which went from 1-2 secs one arm deadhang to 7 secs deadhang in 8 weeks.
I'm not deadhanging at the moment (I'm recovering from an bouldering injury), but when I resume I'll do a few weeks of 10x10 and then a few weeks of MVCs. I haven't campused in a couple of years but I think I'd probably benefit from a couple of weeks every couple of months.[/quote]

How did you come up with a few weeks (I'm assuming that means 3) for your adaptive periods?  I'm not saying that I know the best length of physiological adaptation for forearm and hand strength/hypertrophy/power, but those time periods seem relatively short given general research guidelines.  You seem to be well informed on sport science, as I have read several of your posts from here and rc.com, so my question lies in whether or not you are basing this on anecdotal experience (which at your experience/skill level - seems valid) or research based?

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#18 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 08:15:35 pm
I think this can be summed up as being the technique element of campusing.  If gaining the most height is the goal then you are correct, however this is not that standard a move in climbing (correct me if I'm  wrong). I would say that it is very unusual to have to hit a hold dynamically and then move off it immediately without feet.  I'm sure that there are examples of problems like this, but I bet there are not many.  I can however think of many moves that involve hitting a hold and then moving again footless by a combination of pushing and pulling. What would be interesting to research is the power gains from the 'flick' movement that you describe. I would think that the research would show why there isn't such a direct link between better campusing and better climbers........

Are there climbers out there who are campusing without the goal of gaining vertical height?  I have personally experienced and witnessed many problems that have some variation of a campus-type move.  Maybe the feet get to smear, or the overhang is not the same exact angle as the campus board, but the gross movement pattern is very similar.  In addition, the kinetic values of starting strength, explosive strength and general laddering intermuscular coordination are developed by campusing.

One of my crew, just developed a V12 close to home.  Scroll down for 'New front Range FA Bambi' on the list.  Thomas is a V12/13 boulderer.  I have witnessed him campus 1-5-8, 1 arms off 1 pad holds and easily perform muscle ups.  None of these activities are to be confused with climbing, however, they are a window into his kinetic ability to adduct and flex at the glenohumoral joint - which happens in climbing on most everything past vertical.  Campusing is just one aspect to improving shoulder girdle strength and power, so I include it on a weekly basis, but the volume is very low compared to what I have read from others.

http://www.momentumvm.com/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage

The 'flick' I have described is an upper body SSC (stretch shortening cycle) movement.  If you want to use the elastic energy of your tendons (and you should if the distance between holds is near or at your maximum), you need to develop a slight 'bounce' (just 1), before your pull.  This is relative to the hand hold(s)...if you are desperate to hold on, any bounce or SSC will throw you off.

Serpico

• forum hero
#19 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 08:36:39 pm
How did you come up with a few weeks (I'm assuming that means 3) for your adaptive periods?

I'll be doing 3-4wks (maybe more) of 10x10s because it was a phase interrupted by injury (I've already done 8wks), the original intention was to do around 12wks. The ~3wks is to ease me back into it before switching to max strength hangs (up to 5 secs).
I tend to organize my phases very loosely depending on the season, the weather, what I want to be fit for, but I use a few general rules of thumb that tend to work for me:
I need at least 12 wks to make any lasting changes in strength, and at least one session in a 10 day period to maintain those gains.
I make my biggest gains in recruitment in 2 - 4wks.
Power Endurance I get very quickly and plateaus around 6-8wks, it also seems to stick around for a long time with little maintenance.
Bottom end endurance (onsighting endurance) takes a lot of ARCing, takes years to make improvements, and is something I've neglected for a couple of years, consequently I've got the biggest difference between my redpoint and onsight grade I've ever had.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 09:49:04 pm
. . . I tend to organize my phases very loosely depending on the season, the weather, what I want to be fit for . . .

I can't believe you use organize your training phases in such a bullshit wooly way, Serpico . . .

Always train when the moon is in Aquarius plus your star sign, if Aquarius is your star sign, train in Libra; 24/7,  Never (I repeat) N E V E R  ever train when the moon is in Uranus;  always sport the blood of a freshly killed black cockerel daubed on your cheeks, pecs and traps; never wear purple when training; and steer clear of menstruating women before and after training.

Pfft!  Some people . . .   ::)

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#21 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 10:02:15 pm
"steer clear of menstruating women before and after training."

Fucking ever

account_inactive

• forum hero
#22 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 10:09:40 pm
Are there climbers out there who are campusing without the goal of gaining vertical height?  I have personally experienced and witnessed many problems that have some variation of a campus-type move.  Maybe the feet get to smear, or the overhang is not the same exact angle as the campus board, but the gross movement pattern is very similar.  In addition, the kinetic values of starting strength, explosive strength and general laddering intermuscular coordination are developed by campusing.

Campusing can also describe different exercises on the campus board, so yes climbers are.  I was talking about proper campusing technique, not campusing in general.  You gave 3 examples, I said that the 3rd was the perfect technique but probably the least cross over into performance.

One of my crew, just developed a V12 close to home.  Scroll down for 'New front Range FA Bambi' on the list.  Thomas is a V12/13 boulderer.  I have witnessed him campus 1-5-8, 1 arms off 1 pad holds and easily perform muscle ups.  None of these activities are to be confused with climbing, however, they are a window into his kinetic ability to adduct and flex at the glenohumoral joint - which happens in climbing on most everything past vertical.  Campusing is just one aspect to improving shoulder girdle strength and power, so I include it on a weekly basis, but the volume is very low compared to what I have read from others.

http://www.momentumvm.com/cms/index.php?option=com_frontpage

I'm not sure why you have told us about this.  Is this to do with my research in 'base levels'? 
window into his kinetic ability to adduct and flex at the glenohumoral joint

You mean his ability to generate movement from the shoulder.  Who are you writing this for? 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:17:07 pm by Dylan, Reason: bitch like response to someone trying too hard to make us think he is really clever when we either don\'t care or believe him anyway »

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#23 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 23, 2008, 10:17:48 pm
I'm with you Dylan
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:26:46 pm by robertostallioni, Reason: who cares »

athletikspesifik

• regular
    • Athletik Spesifik
#24 Re: fingerboard and campusboard cycles
March 24, 2008, 12:48:06 am
I'll be doing 3-4wks (maybe more) of 10x10s because it was a phase interrupted by injury (I've already done 8wks), the original intention was to do around 12wks. The ~3wks is to ease me back into it before switching to max strength hangs (up to 5 secs).
I tend to organize my phases very loosely depending on the season, the weather, what I want to be fit for, but I use a few general rules of thumb that tend to work for me:
I need at least 12 wks to make any lasting changes in strength, and at least one session in a 10 day period to maintain those gains.
I make my biggest gains in recruitment in 2 - 4wks.
Power Endurance I get very quickly and plateaus around 6-8wks, it also seems to stick around for a long time with little maintenance.
Bottom end endurance (onsighting endurance) takes a lot of ARCing, takes years to make improvements, and is something I've neglected for a couple of years, consequently I've got the biggest difference between my redpoint and onsight grade I've ever had.

Thanks, much appreciated!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal