UKBouldering.com

Ring training (Read 9877 times)

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Ring training
February 19, 2008, 08:09:37 pm
I have finally got round to putting up a nice new set of proper gymnastic rings in The Climbing Works. Nice, ninja black, and adjustable for height, these bad boys are the future of shoulder and core training. Cheers to Andy Earl for the knowledge, and for the low-down on the training exercises pertenant to climbing. Needless to say - these rings are not for kids to swing about on or for most of our customers to injure themselves on. If you want to train on them ask at the reception desk and we'll get them out for you. If you ask really nicely we'll even give you a demo of some of the exercises that will help improve your strength for climbing. They are in full view of the reception desk and the training board so abuse/encouragement can be hurled when appropriate (and so we can make sure nobodies doing anything they shouldn't with them)!

As a personal recommendation, I have done a couple of sessions on the rings and it really does work your core strength and shoulders like nothing else I have come across. Forget captains of crush and powerballs - ring training may possibly improve your climbing! ;)

nik at work

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 08:19:46 pm
Any chance of an online guide to ringing? Or any decent links....
The primary school next door to us has a set of rings they never use that I've had my eyes on for a few months.

All knowledge gratefully received (I'll go and ask for then tomorrow...)

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 08:21:22 pm
I think your preaching to the converted Percy:

http://www.ringtraining.com/training

Intermediate workout is a good one, just a few questions:

is your set up height adjustable?
do you have any blocks for working up to moves etc?

ps -whatever your setup its still small and insignificant compared to the mighty school rings and the dream machine setup  :P:

of course in my almost perpetual state of injuredness none of the above is of any use to myself!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#3 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 08:30:18 pm
Iron cross; Stuey 5 bellies . . .

None of these would be an issue if you had better techno to train to.   ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 08:37:19 pm
nik check out the link I posted above, you can find loads of videos at crossfit.com to show you what is what or alternatively on youtube although you have to make sure the people on youtube are doing the right thing, personally I prefer Mr. Dobbin or Monkey Boy to act as a drill sergeant, its easier that way. Theres also an old thread somewhere.

If anyone needs psyching up for rings then check this out:

excuse the slightly suspect description of Yuri Von Gelder Shirtless  ???...

Houdini: Sven Vaeth not ok to train to?

saltbeef

• forum hero
#5 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 08:38:20 pm
keith provides the techno.it does the job!

nik at work

• forum hero
#6 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 08:40:34 pm
 :jaw: Shit, now thats big fuckin' shoulders....
Cheers for the link.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 09:13:24 pm
keith provides the techno.it does the job!

I think its about time le sausage posts the video he has of everyone training...

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 09:43:17 pm
...will try to work out how to get it on. it will have to carry a government health warning though...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#9 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 09:49:24 pm
Sven?  Too commercial/light hearted:  not angry enough.  But if it ain't broke . . .

Cool vid btw in an impressive ringmaster but he'd be wank at the crag kind of way. 

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#10 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 10:22:06 pm
Excellent, glad you've got this sorted! I used to mess around with some gymnasts and the rings (stop sn**gering there'll be homoerotic jokes along in due course) and not only is it great training it's good fun and gives the opportunity for some good banter.

Now all we need is a proper pommel and some bars!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 10:43:56 pm
Was thinking I was going to be looking at some sort of hardcore gay workout.
Turns out I was right. When can I join in?

saltbeef

• forum hero
#12 Re: Ring training
February 19, 2008, 10:45:02 pm
jim i'm always ready to train your ring. just make sure you wear the zip mask.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 06:37:34 pm
I had a blast on the rings on Sunday, followed by an easy circuit. It felt like a really good workout, and made the circuit a hell of a lot more challenging. I felt a bit of a twat using them by myself with so many people about, which might put me off using them again.
Today I have some majorly aching shoulders.  ;D

Has anyone else tried them yet?

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 07:17:20 pm
Percy: Is there any chance you could build a box or something (theres a thread I think on ringtraining) to do things like chest fly's (for when mine's up to it), jacknifes, crescent pushes etc. putting those tall chairs on the mats to rest your feet on just seems like asking for a broken nose. You could then start the exercises from your knees rather than your feet.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#15 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 08:11:59 pm
ace,  anyone know where i can buy some at a reasonable price cheers dave

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#16 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 09:10:43 pm
Just type in ring training into google, and go to ring-training.com (or something like that...) $79.95, and they ship to the UK - so about £40 (plus £15 customs charge, the robbing bastards!)

Paul - use one of the small chairs. There's one next to the rings which works fine. Having a BOX as well as RINGS is too much fuel to the double entendre fire....

The Works is now sporting my patent "Ring Retraction System" so if you want them out, ask at reception and we can lower them down for you. When not in use we can pull them out of the way to stop kids messing about on them. There is also a folder with a shed-load of workout and exercise information in for users to peruse, and Sam and Brian have had the tour of appropriate exercises now too, so just ask one of us if you need pointers on basic exercises.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 09:57:54 pm
Paul, its better to have a training partner spot/assist if you have one. I am going to attempt to build up to planche press ups, hopefully I can convince my girlfriend to hold my sweaty feet whilst I train the movement. I am pretty sure there is no practical crossover to climbing with this exercise but its something I have always wanted to do.

Muscle ups on the other hand are way better than pull ups for boulderers to learn.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 10:00:19 pm
I am pretty sure there is no practical crossover to climbing with this exercise but its something I have always wanted to do.

Balls - if you can do a planche press you can tackle any bouldering mantle ever.  Muscle ups are piss.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#19 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 10:11:36 pm
Quite a useful video Re:  Muscle ups:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#20 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 10:16:28 pm
If you can get through the first third bollocks the rest is on the stages involved in doing a planche and front lever. Velly intelesting.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#21 Re: Ring training
March 03, 2008, 10:18:08 pm
Train something hard . . .

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#22 Re: Ring training
March 04, 2008, 09:58:12 am
Houdini, if you have your body in the position where you could do a planche press up on a mantle you will have probably used either your feet :-* or a muscle up style move to get there.
You would be a strong mother if you could do planche press ups but its probably not a worthy training exercise as compared to iron cross, planche, handstand press ups, half levers, russian levers and flexibility training.

I still fancy being able to do them....

Paul B

• forum hero
#23 Re: Ring training
March 04, 2008, 02:05:36 pm
Paul, its better to have a training partner spot/assist if you have one. I am going to attempt to build up to planche press ups, hopefully I can convince my girlfriend to hold my sweaty feet whilst I train the movement. I am pretty sure there is no practical crossover to climbing with this exercise but its something I have always wanted to do.

Muscle ups on the other hand are way better than pull ups for boulderers to learn.

Bollocks, who the hell is going to hold my feet or knees for nigh on an hour and a half? Monkey Boy, Dense? thought not.

Percy: you could just call it a volme if that made you happier  :-[

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#24 Re: Ring training
March 04, 2008, 02:14:58 pm
I still fancy being able to do them....

Exactly!  I reckon half of what I do is irrelevant and mostly to do w/ wanting new challenges and new forms of fun (and being addicted to training.  Any training.  Having goals would give me focus here; but my only goal is to enjoy myself uninjured for as long as possible.)  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal