UKBouldering.com

Ring training (Read 9876 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#25 Re: Ring training
March 05, 2008, 08:31:05 pm
depends what i get out of it paul ;)

muscle ups are as much use for climbing as tits on a bull. can't do one, only try so paul n monkey feel good and not demoralised at the end of a workout :-*

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Ring training
March 08, 2008, 07:37:06 pm
Paul - use one of the small chairs. There's one next to the rings which works fine. Having a BOX as well as RINGS is too much fuel to the double entendre fire....

Sorry if I sound a bit like a broken record here but after having a rings session yesterday a chair doesn't work at all, its damn unstable which scares me no end when your fully extended in a jack knife push up not to mention the fact you'll end up with more bruises on your knees than a foundry hooker. I tried your big bean bag thing as well but that wasn't any good. IMO not having a box (or as i've used in the past a huge stack of pads) you really limit what you can do with the rings and it ends up with a big group of blokes stood around trying muscle ups or telling you that their mate (and they're not on about Mule) went on the rings for the 1st time bla bla and did an iron cross straight away etc. More of a novelty item than a training tool.

The Works is now sporting my patent "Ring Retraction System" so if you want them out, ask at reception and we can lower them down for you.

I seem a bit negative tonight BUT I'm not so sure about your ring retraction system, it seemed really dodgy. The hook fell off the rings when hoisting the rings back up, if it had hit someone (and lets face it that person is likely to be me) its going to make a mess. Surely it would be better to hoist the rings straight-up and then if they fell off you wouldn't have a bloody big bit of cast iron swinging about?  :shrug:

dads

#27 Re: Ring training
March 09, 2008, 01:46:58 am
ring training is absolute hardcore, it's all to do with stability. I'm a big bodyweight training fan and If I had the chance to train on rings I would be so happy. 

philo

• forum hero
#28 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 12:49:24 am
watch the muscle up on this first move.

it can only be beaten by his dismount...

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 12:52:04 am
yeah i came across that clip a while ago when searching for "muscle up" or something similar.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#30 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 05:17:41 am
One of the most controlled and indeed odd routines I've seen.  His planches were, as Darth would say, Most impressive!

Any you ring-pimps sussed a planche yet?

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 01:51:10 pm
Sacked ring training it is too tiring and makes me shitter at climbing for days.  :oops:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#32 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 01:52:42 pm
the original crowd salute...

Paul B

• forum hero
#33 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 04:55:31 pm
Sacked ring training it is too tiring and makes me shitter at climbing for days.  :oops:

sorry houdini, had to sack it as well, broken sternum and all, i'd have started again around now however the school isn't currently accessible and the works don't have anything (secure) to do a lot of the easier exercises that I think I'd need to build back up to my routine. Weights it is.

I think working up to a planche would take a while, Dave and I did alright on assisted crosses which I think after continued use would of paid off however with him dislocating his shoulder I doubt its on the agenda. It seemed to put a lot of stress on the elbows.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#34 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 10:00:14 pm
Elite climbers could never tolerate that amount of muscle though could they?  Look at those guys.  I think some of them could boulder well on the good well spaced holds, I'd love to see a great ring athlete try bouldering.

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: Ring training
April 03, 2008, 10:04:50 pm
Elite climbers could never tolerate that amount of muscle though could they?  Look at those guys.  I think some of them could boulder well on the good well spaced holds, I'd love to see a great ring athlete try bouldering.

I don't know its a great base and just because you have shed loads of muscle doesn't necessarily mean that you would maintain that. I think it would be hard for someone who is already very strong to learn some of the subtleties of technique but that just a bit of guessing and opinion mixed into one sweeping statement.
Now lets get that strong chap, Yuji or something like that from the Netherlands and lock him in a board room...then we'll see.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#36 Re: Ring training
April 13, 2008, 06:20:27 pm
Fair enough Paul - I'll make a box if a chair don't work for you. As for the pulley system for moving the rings out of the way, it works fine providing you use it properly (the trick being to put the tapes into the hook and not the rings!) If you ain't sure, ask a member of staff and they'll do it for you. There is no danger of anybody being hit by the hook though - the only problem is being hit by one of the rings if they aren't put in the hook properly (the hook can't fall anywhere - its attached to the roof by a climbing rope).

Paul B

• forum hero
#37 Re: Ring training
April 13, 2008, 06:44:23 pm
Nice one percy, on second viewing your hook looked a lot smaller anyway, i'm just afraid of everything. Enjoyed watching the comp yesterday.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#38 Re: Ring training
April 15, 2008, 09:27:22 am

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal