UKBouldering.com

Blood pressure monitors (Read 7368 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#25 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 15, 2008, 12:42:04 pm
Alas Fraudini has forgeooten (sp?  Is that Dutch?) to take the dumb 7 quid toy w/ her to her parents where she'll meet the Dr. in the family.

In all seriousness I've not had a full medical in 20 years so I'd be interested to know more about what we should be doing w/ ourselves to increase longevity / fitness etc.. 

Clearly drinking a bottle of wine every night or two won't be recommended.  Crazy that so many mates around my age still smoke and take drugs regularly.  Madness - I mean tripping's not that good . . .

Burroughs was 77 when he died, a lifelong junkie.  (Lee was his first pseudonym)  I'd like to add that the cornucopia of stimulants further back in this thread were consumed over 12 years - not in a weekend!

Now I get 139/83 (65 bpm)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:49:51 pm by Houdini, Reason: new reading »

webbo

• forum hero
#26 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 15, 2008, 03:58:53 pm
i would see a medic if your worried.i'm a bit puzzled to why your h/r is so high given the amount of aerobic activity you do.mines only 58 and i've just run up 2 flights of stairs having gone round the building trying to find a sphig.
when i was cycling competitively it was 38/42 at rest.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#27 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 15, 2008, 04:22:07 pm
I'm curious too.   Feeling pulse now.  Regular 1 bp/sec.  (Differences in stature?)  I'm not worried just increasingly curious and interested in health issues.  Heart rate monitor must be purchased.  Watches any good?

I'm doing a reasonable amount of cardio now, but it hasn't always been that way.  Last half a year I've upped it a lot, but before that I wouldn't call it a vast amount, if much (just skipping and swimming).  Also it hasn't always been regular (rarely get opportunity or have the gas to climb/train when in work mode).

I've a feeling that comparing it to what you do is erroneous.  You've been obsessed & busy w/ sport for 30+ years, much of it cardio.  (Is that accurate?)

webbo

• forum hero
#28 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 15, 2008, 07:50:42 pm
no my cardio is only the last 25 years ;).didn't start till my late 20s although i ain't done much since christmas,i rode my bike for the first time in 4 weeks on sunday.so its hardly olympic training.
what you describe i.e.running for 11/2 hours plus skipping for an hour should give a low rest pulse i would have thought around 40/50.try taking it first thing in a morning.
with the b.p. thing and your chemical past.i have had patients who had strokes in their 30s with similar drug use i.e.tobacco,cannabis,amphetamines,alcohol etc.the difference is they took no exercise and were on prescribed psychotropic meds.so you might just want to get a bit of an m.o.t.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#29 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 15, 2008, 08:02:02 pm
Shit, Houd- despite your ice water enemas you're still doomed.  Bummer.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#30 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 15, 2008, 08:33:57 pm
Fucking great. . .

Best start work on my heir sharpish.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#31 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 18, 2008, 10:09:41 am
#  Did manage to race this beastly toy to the Frau so she could get our Dr to test it but (quelle surprise!) he was ill, another time.

#  Was using it incorrectly (on the R wrist & not as you should on the L) & was testing wrong side of heart . . .

#  Tested myself a few mo's after waking & got:  119/79 (67 bpm).  Sounds better, except bpm . . . Had 1/2 bottle of red last night, perhaps it could be lower?

I put this down to having a well-fit frau  :-*

saltbeef

• forum hero
#32 Re: Blood pressure monitors
February 18, 2008, 10:30:18 am
ironically smoking lowers your blood pressure, but increases your cardiovascular risk. so don't it'll kill you. home bp monitors are rubbish. you're going running, this should help. go see your gp if you're worried. you need to be hypertensive on a number of successive occassions to be diagnosed with hypertension. i got "diagnosed" by a nurse as having hypertension, the fact i'd just run from the wrvs having had a strong coffee and had a job interview that morning probably didn't help. i repeated it on the ward later and it was on the low side. if you're worried see your gp, getting diagnosed over the internet is bullshit. we're talking science here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal