UKBouldering.com

The Climbing Academy - Bristol Bouldering Centre (Read 33796 times)

Paul T

• regular
After 12 months of constant head-banging, dead ends and other such disappointments, we have recently struck lucky, securing a fine building with the relevant planning, and are now just awaiting the paperwork to be finalised by the lawyers. Baring earthquakes, tidal waves or other such unforeseen disasters, we will be opening the doors for the first time later this summer.

From our floorspace of 8400 square foot, 6000 square foot will be dedicated to climbing surfaces, whilst a café, treatment facility and shop will provide services to visiting climbers. There is ample parking within a two minute walking radius, and easy road access from both the motorway and from the Bath direction. We are on a main cycleway and only a short walk of 15 minutes from both the train and bus/coach stations.

We are committed to being as friendly to our home planet and our fellow human beings as is humanely possible, and the building materials we use will be from sustainable or recycled sources where available. Thinking outside of the plywood box, we will be introducing some novel and interesting features to enhance our customer experience. We will also be fitting a chalk extraction system (no not just an open door on a windy day) and the company will be carbon neutral.

The exact location will be disclosed shortly, as soon as the men in grey suits have done their crucial bit for Queen, Country and South West’s expectant climbing population.

Paul Twomey & Rich Emerson Feb 2008

jern

• menacing presence
 :thumbsup:

Is this  a different project to Ron's?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Or indeed the Climbing Works?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Ron's project - AKA Climbing Works Bristol is till going to happen baring any further planning setbacks - we're aiming to open at the end of 2008 if all goes to plan. Paul's project is different one all together.

Bouldering centres seem to be like buses down Bristol way, no?

dave

what, covered in graffiti, full of chavs sat at the back, and when you enter they haven't got any change? I hope not.

Ackbar

• player
They need to have one of those high, overhanging walls with the ramped mats like they have in Switzerland.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=58279

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Gotta say, I like that idea. At first I thought "but why not do routes". But it's not about routes, it's about very long hard boulder problems without needing a route vibe. Looks like the fall would be okay - translating downwards velocity into angled velocity and all that.

All we need is a bouldering wall....with a high ceiling....and a track record of being willing to try innovative ideas.... :-\

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It looks shit and it would take up a ridiculous amount of room. They wouldn't be long boulder problems they'd be routes. A route is still a route if you do it without a rope or with that crazy safety net thing that uncle posted.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
No clipping, no faffing, no fear = different vibe.

You could have a normal bouldering wall on the underside of whatever structure holds the mats.

dave

thing is it'd be shit training for routes cos you'd not be prepared for having to climb slower and stop to clip, and it'd be shit training for bouldering cos most stuff in this country is only half a dozen moves long. it'd also be shit training for bouldering traverses, because you wouldn't be traversing. it'd only be good training for big links in parisellas, and that chipped slate quarry in scotland. its not all that different to the steep boards leading into the massive roof in the edge woody (RIP) which of the whole facility was the bit no fucker ever used.

yes it would be "fun" initially but the novelty would wear off faster than Tab Clear or Global Hypercolour t-shirts.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Sorry Fiend but I think you're being silly. What is the point? If you want to train endurance at a bouldering wall then do circuits or something. If you want to train for routes then go to a leading wall and experience the fear and the faff which are a necessary part of the discipline.

And what Dave said.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Looks fun to me. It's only a partial solution. We need to start landscaping crags so we can do away with ropes forever. Faffing is such a horrible disease.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Looks fun to me.

Once again the f word rears it's ugly head.  ;)

r-man

• forum hero
You're one of these people I'm never going to meet at the wall or crag, because we live in different dimensions.

If you feel a wierd breeze round your handhold, that'll be me trying (unsucsessfully) to dyno to it backwards.

If I walk into the works one day and everything seems slightly tinged with a hellish red, I'll know our worlds are close together...

:lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Sorry Fiend but I think you're being silly.

Silly for being positive about an idea that looks cool to me?? Ta  :-*

What is the point?

Fun?!?! I have no shame in using the F-word!!

Something a bit different??

God we don't want to start encouraging that. What next?? Colour-coordinated bouldering circuits without rigid grades?? Shit training that. Font style-circuits where you don't step off the ground?? Sounds like bollox to me. Novelty problems that are bizarre and creative but don't actually train you for big numbers?? It will never catch on.

Even worse it might infect outdoors....next thing people will be sitting down and starting boulder problems lower down to make them "more interesting". Or climbing on sea-cliffs without ropes!!

What nonsense. Stop the rot before it starts. Make sure everything fits inside the neat conventional boxes!!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The f word thing is a joke as you well know. That wall still looks utter wank though and if you were seriously suggesting that it would be a good idea for The Works to waste half the space they have creating a stupid novelty piece of shit that nobody would use then I stand by the fact that you are being fucking silly.

r-man

• forum hero
...So anyway, this Bristol centre, any more details Paul? What sort of walls/training facilities/fun will be on offer? Tell us more...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Smite away Fiend it doesn't change FACT.  ;D

Sorry I'll stop with the  :off: stuff now. Back to your dimension r-man.

Paz

• junky
everything seems slightly tinged with a hellish red,

Like you're nearly dead on Resident Evil and need some flowerpots?

Duma

• forum hero
Great news Paul, is there a website/mailing list I can get on for updates.
More bristol venues the better in my book.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
They need to have one of those high, overhanging walls with the ramped mats like they have in Switzerland.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=58279

Argument above notwithstanding, I think that looks ace! Surely that's the point of building climbing walls - more fun less faff.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
fact n. A thing which is undisputably the case because I fucking said so.

The offending item is the best training facility I've ever seen for the best facet of our dear 'sport', Deep Water Soloing.  No fear, no clips and about the height of Crab Party.  I'd go on it.

andy_e

• forum hero
What's wrong with Gollum's Cave?  :lol:

Paul T

• regular
To keep you posted either:

http://climbingacademybristol.blogspot.com/

or

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21270425153

but don't expect any news for a bit as I'm off to Panama to work on James Bond. Will let you know more though in due course....

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Fuck me, it sounds like UKC on here!

Just to add my opinion

...if you were seriously suggesting that it would be a good idea for The Works to waste half the space they have creating a stupid novelty piece of shit that nobody would use...

Seems to me that there's quite a lot of unused space at the Works which could be used. Starting from the back left corner (between the campus boards and the Competition wall), and going up the back wall (through the campus wall). Yes it would be a massive faff to get it put in, and no I'm not suggesting that Sam and Percy do add it, but it wouldn't take much space, and if the pad was a slide which brought you out into a ball pool (or maybe something a little more sensible), then I think it would be popular. I'd sure as hell use it (I wouldn't commute from Bangor to go there though!).

I think it would be fun. And an amusing training aid. It'd be perfect for me, as I'm currently trying to improve my power endurance.

Sorry about the  :off:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal