UKBouldering.com

The future of mobile computing? (Read 54263 times)

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#150 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 09, 2009, 09:27:16 am
Link isn't working for me Tris?!  :shrug:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#151 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 09, 2009, 09:31:25 am
Ooops, sorry - updated now, thanks  :)

More, bigger pics

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#152 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 09, 2009, 09:31:41 am
Link isn't working for me Tris?!  :shrug:

Here let me....

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#153 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 09, 2009, 09:34:44 am
The Bravo looks the shizzle....

Under "Performance", there's just one handset - the very intriguing-looking Bravo, which will have a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, large 3.7-inch AMOLED touchscreen, a 16GB microSD card and 1400mAh battery. It's due to arrive in April.

It's labelled as HD ready, and should be able to capture 720p video through its 5.0 megapixel autofocus camera, which also comes with a welcome flash. It'll be packing Android, as well as an optical trackpad, and "Dolby" is listed under "special features", suggesting that high-end audio is also on the cards.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#154 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 14, 2009, 03:55:56 pm
4G goes live in Scandinavia today

offering ten times the speed of 3G, promising speeds between 20 and 80 Mb/sec at 2.6GHz

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#155 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 14, 2009, 04:30:50 pm
Interesting project pre-Google Chrome OS, http://www.jolicloud.com/ invite only currently (still waiting for mine)
Jolicloud is no longer invite only, a year ahead of Chrome OS. Installed on my Aspire One fine, automatically partitioned the HD and sets up dual-boot. Only had a brief play but looks nicely designed and quite intuitive.

tomtom

• forum hero
#156 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 14, 2009, 06:24:45 pm
Interesting project pre-Google Chrome OS, http://www.jolicloud.com/ invite only currently (still waiting for mine)
Jolicloud is no longer invite only, a year ahead of Chrome OS. Installed on my Aspire One fine, automatically partitioned the HD and sets up dual-boot. Only had a brief play but looks nicely designed and quite intuitive.

That looks cool - am downloading...

Paul B

• forum hero
#157 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 15, 2009, 11:19:13 pm

I'm hoping its as easy to get off as it is to get on!

Why the hell doesn't it offer WPA1 in network manager? I had the same sh*t with Ubuntu and it being a faff with my broadcom wireless card on a previous laptop. Pre-beta I suppose but even so  :spank:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#158 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 16, 2009, 09:03:57 am
'Cause WPA is more than five years old?  Providing your router is newer than 2006 theres no reason why WPA2 shouldn't be available as since then it has been mandatory to have WPA2 built in.

Might be worth looking to see if you can ditch Network Manager and install WiCD instead, its far superior and is the app of choice for most these days over Network Manager.

Paul B

• forum hero
#159 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 16, 2009, 11:20:12 am
'Cause WPA is more than five years old?  Providing your router is newer than 2006 theres no reason why WPA2 shouldn't be available as since then it has been mandatory to have WPA2 built in.

Might be worth looking to see if you can ditch Network Manager and install WiCD instead, its far superior and is the app of choice for most these days over Network Manager.

WPA2 wasn't there either slackers... just WEP

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#160 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 16, 2009, 11:33:29 am

WPA2 wasn't there either slackers... just WEP

Thats wank!

Mind you I see little point to encryption anyway since with enough packets sniffed someone can hack you're network anyway (I've an application on my phone that does this).  This doesn't mean that you're bank details will be stolen when using your laptop to do internet banking though as the connection the the banks server is made over Secure Socket Layers.  Simply that someone can piggy back on your network.

I try and avoid this by...

a) filtering MAC address' on the wireless router's access list
b) periodically checking to see if anyone's sneaked on and booting them off if they have

...which again is fallible as you can sniff the MAC address thats being used on my wireless devices and spoof it.

Ultimately any and all wireless networks are susceptible to piggy backing.

Paul B

• forum hero
#161 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 16, 2009, 11:36:01 am
Is there really a need for a specifc OS for netbooks anyway? This just seemed like Ubuntu re-arranged.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#162 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 16, 2009, 11:41:30 am
Is there really a need for a specifc OS for netbooks anyway? This just seemed like Ubuntu re-arranged.

There tweaking is to get things optimised for the hardware, things like compiling packages with specific C-compiler flags that are optimised to the CPU's architecture, and including drivers that work with the specific wireless cards etc.

Sliming down on the package bloat that exists in binary distributions is beneficial too as it means less RAM will be used leaving more for actual work.

Paul B

• forum hero
#163 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 16, 2009, 11:44:30 am
Fair enough, the wireless splitter nonsense in Ubuntu did my head in.

The fact that my netbook is both more powerful and has more storage that my desktop probably clouds my judgement on whether anything needs slimming down for them  ;D

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#164 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 16, 2009, 11:45:08 am
Why the hell doesn't it offer WPA1 in network manager? I had the same sh*t with Ubuntu and it being a faff with my broadcom wireless card on a previous laptop. Pre-beta I suppose but even so  :spank:
I'm glad I held off from installing it - my older 3com wireless router uses WPA1 also.. thanks for posting this  :beer2:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#165 Re: The future of mobile computing?
December 23, 2009, 03:53:50 pm
OLPC tablet

Looks pretty sweet, just hope its more successful than the original!  :P

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

tomtom

• forum hero

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#168 Re: The future of mobile computing?
January 27, 2010, 02:40:18 pm
The key part of the spec is obviously that it has 299 Swarovski crystals, rather than the Windows Vista Home Premium operating system, 1GB of memory, 100GB hard drive, or unnamed processor (a Mobile Sempron 3400+).

:lol:

It's shit and it costs over a grand!

tomtom

• forum hero
#169 Re: The future of mobile computing?
January 27, 2010, 02:47:30 pm
The key part of the spec is obviously that it has 299 Swarovski crystals, rather than the Windows Vista Home Premium operating system, 1GB of memory, 100GB hard drive, or unnamed processor (a Mobile Sempron 3400+).

:lol:

It's shit and it costs over a grand!

What do you mean its shit!  >:( its PINK and has diamonds and hearts and everything...!

is  299 Swarovski crystals a code name for a new release of Linux?

;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#170 Re: The future of mobile computing?
January 27, 2010, 03:17:31 pm
It'd better be cos it comes with Vista.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#171 Re: The future of mobile computing?
January 28, 2010, 09:10:17 am
Nice colours, how long do you think it will take before the jewels start falling off from taking it out of a laptop bag? I give it 1 week  :)

Oops - silly me, you wouldn't want to take it anywhere anyway!

Nice find Tom, I know you've pre-ordered it  :whistle:

PS things looking good so far for tonight. Will text you later...

tomtom

• forum hero
#172 Re: The future of mobile computing?
January 28, 2010, 10:44:55 am
I bought myself a packet of tutti fruiti and a tube of Bostick and decided to make my own! With the added bonus I can eat them if I get any blood sugar cravings...
Though I thought I was going to have to order one last night after MrsTT spilt 1/2 glass of Pinot Grigio over the laptop.. thankfully the lid copped most of it and it seems to be working fine after a night on the radiator drying off...
T

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal