UKBouldering.com

The future of mobile computing? (Read 54069 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 23, 2007, 07:11:18 pm
4GB hard drive and 900 mHz processor? I doubt it...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 23, 2007, 07:21:59 pm
It runs on Linux.  You can also plug in flash memory.  Its about 23cm x 17cm

I'm not going to -ve Karma for not understanding reading more about these as I should have put in a link to the review

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49293507-1,00.htm

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 23, 2007, 07:24:25 pm
Didn't check the size out as that's not usually what I think about with computers  ;)

I did notice the Linux though, is that rare?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 23, 2007, 08:55:42 pm
I saw these reviewed the other week and am quite interested in them, they seem like decent specs for mobile computing and relatively cheap.  I suspect that the development of this (and future products in a similar vein) has been instigated by the OLPC initiative.  Was quite impressed and am seriously considering buying one (although have also been tempted by the OLPC buy one/give one initiative).

Didn't check the size out as that's not usually what I think about with computers  ;)

There are different classes of computers, multi-processor grids, desktops and laptops and embedded systems.  It sounds as though you assess computers based purely on the number of flops its capable of which is in my opinion ridiculous.  A computer is a tool, and different situations require different tools.

A laptop should be portable.  Over the years I've had a few different ones, and the one that I've kept isn't the highest spec (i.e. most "powerful"), its the most portable one, i.e. the smallest that allows me to connect to t'inter-web and do the things I need to do whilst on the move.  If your serious about video editing or anything else that requires a bit more oomph your going to have a dedicated server/machine for doing it, not lug some brick around that tries and fails to have half the computing power of the behemoth that can sit under your desk.

As the "Web2.0" is slowly developing things seem to be moving away from the desktop to having your data and applications provided online, you therefore won't need massive computing power and hard drives, simply the ability to connect to the internet and the processing power that that entails.  (Obviously there are security/privacy issues that each individual has to assess for themselves, etc. etc.)

I did notice the Linux though, is that rare?

Rare in what context?

There are millions of GNU/Linux users, hell, google even have a dedicated search engine to it (see here), as they do for windows, macs and BSD

GNU/Linux is used all over the place on embedded systems.  To cite a couple of examples of the top of my head....

Linksys (one of the most popular router manufacturers and part of Cisco) have used a customised GNU/Linux distro on their routers for years.

The Nokia 770 internet tablet uses an customised embedded GNU/Linux distribution.

Dell now provide the option to buy PC's with GNU/Linux pre-installed instead of Windows.

Morotorla, NEC, Panasonic, Samsong are all part of a foundation to develop embedded GNU/Linux systems (see Wikipedia for more information).  Even more detailed information/news on the range of embedded devices with GNU/Linux see here.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:09:21 pm by slack---line, Reason: cocked up links »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 25, 2007, 07:08:03 pm
Looks pretty sweet. Asus do some mint stuff and they are always spot on design wise

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 25, 2007, 07:12:30 pm

It looks perfect for doing browsing/word processing/other low power stuff on the move. Small but not annoyingly small like a PDA can be sometimes.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 25, 2007, 07:16:31 pm
Would it be worth switching over to XP? and if so how well would this run.  A big flash pen would probably boost the cache..............

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth just using Linux as most of the apps I would be using (word/movies/internet) are covered.

Thoughts?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#8 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 25, 2007, 07:38:45 pm
I see no reason why a good stripped down version of xp shouldn't work well on it.
I have no experience of linux but I'm sure slack-line will give you a 300 page essay on its benefits

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 26, 2007, 12:49:52 pm
As it is part of my job to investigate new kit.... :great:...we recently ordered a few of these babies to investigate their possible use in schools. Should be with us soon. One thing we intent to do is try and put XP/Edubuntu/etc on one, and see what happens. I'll report back and if anyones in Shef and wants to see one in the flesh let me know.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 26, 2007, 01:23:06 pm
Would it be worth switching over to XP? and if so how well would this run.  A big flash pen would probably boost the cache..............

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth just using Linux as most of the apps I would be using (word/movies/internet) are covered.

Thoughts?

A decent SD card (upto 32Gb, but pricey at that size) could boost storage capacity and might be less obtrusive than a flash pen (which would use USB slots), but this won't boost the cache per se.  If there isn't an app already installed to do what you want then its relatively straightforward to install new (free & open-source) software.

The only disadvantages I can see to installing XP is that the site/reviews recommend going with the higher spec'd machine and at present you would have to buy XP separately (seems to be around the £80-90 for XP, which is  very roughly 1/3 of the hardware cost!).

I have no experience of linux but I'm sure slack-line will give you a 300 page essay on its benefits

And here was me thinking I was being concise :)  I don't have the inclination to write 300 pages anyway especially anyone can  :rtfm:  (well, not really the manual, but the tons of other Linux v's [whatever] articles that others have written ;) )

I see no reason why a good stripped down version of xp shouldn't work well on it.

One other thought is that Asus may well have customised the kernel for the hardware specification removing unnecessary bloat and reducing the amount of RAM it takes up (thus leaving more available for software).   Obviously you could remove unnecessary software from XP, but how do you strip down the kernel being that they are closed source and only Micro$oft have access to this?   Found this article on tweaking services (although it suggests the performance gains are negligable) and goggling around on "XP kernel tweaks" suggest its to do with changing settings in the registry but having not touched windows in six or seven years I'm rather out of touch with these things.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 26, 2007, 01:39:00 pm
One other thing we may play with is putting Windows XP Embedded on one of these.
If you haven't heard of it it's a version of XP designed to run robots/kiosks etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/eval/xpe/default.mspx

As you can see here lots of 'vital' functionality has been stripped out such as:
- Windows XP tour
- Online product activation
- Out-of-box experience (welcome screens, setup wizards etc)
- Obsolete Windows Image Acquisition files 
- MSN explorer

Yippee!!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 26, 2007, 11:17:53 pm
Thread on the Asus Eee (.com so probably Asus showcasing their new product and enthused/disgrunteled owners).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 27, 2007, 09:48:27 am
...and also a forum, includes discussion on getting XP running on it, as well as lots of linux geeks discussing getting their own distro installed or designing a custom distro as opposed to the Xandros (Debian based) distro which Asus have in fact paid licences for (albeit drastically cheaper than windows licenses).

One thing to note (not that many will care) is that Asus may be violating the terms and conditions of the GNU GPL as they've included a modified version of the wireless network driver in the kernel and are being rather reluctant to release the source code (see story here)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 27, 2007, 10:59:26 am
Sweetness! Typing this on an Asus Eee PC. Only opened the box 10min ago so very much first  impressions...
- Very cute
- Quite well built (for £200)
- Quite well specced (for £200)
- Screen is pretty small, definitely wouldn't want to use it all day. Although you can plug a monitor into it. Likewise, keyboard and touch pad are pretty small, but USB keyboards and mice should work, touch typing is a bit fiddly, currently annoyed that arrow up is where you expect shift to be, but this is a small point.
- This is an IDEAL first pc for a kid, and will go down a storm in primaries, especially for the cost. Definitely not a machine to be used all day, but as it costs less than most PDA's etc this is a great toy to bung in your bag and check the forums/email whilst sat in Starbucks/McD's/TheWorks[delete and replace with your local choice of free wireless supplier]
-Hopefully this will mean the end to stupidly overpriced UMPC's (£1000 anyone?)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#15 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 27, 2007, 11:44:52 am
A few comparision shots between a MacBook, 15"MacBook Pro and the Eee PC. Tried uploading these from the Eee (the photo manager has an 'upload to Flickr... tool) but failed, may have been me rather than the machine.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#16 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 27, 2007, 11:51:44 am
Must say it looks really good.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#17 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 27, 2007, 09:51:20 pm

Is it me, or does it looks like one of those portable DVD players:

but an actual laptop?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#18 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 29, 2007, 12:51:22 pm
So after a bit of deliberation I went to Tottenham court and bought one of the few remaining.  MicroAnvika (sp) sold out in 2 hours on their 1st delivery!  So I paid an extra £10 which I guess I would have to pay in postage anyway.

1st impressions.  WOW this (I'm typing on it at the mo) is a VERY small laptop.  The build quality is amazing for the price.  The OS is pretty shit as it feels like I'm using some sort of Fisher price toy.  That being said it does have most of the software I would normally use.  I'm going to put XP on here tonight (will post) as I don't really want to put a better version of Linux on (too much learning)

The keyboard is small and it's taking a bit to get used to.  It's managed to pick up wifi very quick etc etc

So very very impressed for a second or travelling laptop

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 29, 2007, 01:01:19 pm
I'm going to put XP on here tonight (will post) as I don't really want to put a better version of Linux on (too much learning)

You may find the forum I linked useful...

...and also a forum, includes discussion on getting XP running on it, as well as lots of linux geeks discussing getting their own distro installed or designing a custom distro as opposed to the Xandros (Debian based) distro which Asus have in fact paid licenses for (albeit drastically cheaper than windows licenses).

The default Xandros installation sounds rather crippled, but you can get away from this Noddy/Fisher price config (or so I read in a review, and I'm sure the forums have details on how to achieve this).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#20 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 29, 2007, 01:07:10 pm
I'm going to put XP on here tonight (will post) as I don't really want to put a better version of Linux on (too much learning)
Before you get XP on it, I highly recommend following at least the first bit of these instructions:-
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/11/06/eee-pc-tips-a-crash-course-in-linux/

There is a pretty much full version of Xandros Linux already installed, it's mainly limited by the 'easy mode' interface. The first section unlocks the 'full desktop'. Then it goes on to explain how to update stuff and install new applications. I'd never used Linux before but had it working pretty quickly. There's a couple of qlitches like 'confirm' buttons not being visable so you have to tab through to them and hope you get 'ok' not 'cancel'!

If you do proceed with XP we are going to have a play with either embedded (as mentioned before) or...
http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
Which should save quite a bit of space.

Paul B

• forum hero
#21 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 29, 2007, 10:23:46 pm
these look really good, does anyone know if you can get a compatible ssh client? (Xstart or anything similar?) and has anyone had any experience using the os out of easy mode? It still looks a little downmarket on xp if i'm honest...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#22 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 29, 2007, 10:36:07 pm
I'm sure the upgraded version of Linux would be fine.  I just want all my computers to be compatable having spent ages trying to work between a mac and a PC

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#23 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 29, 2007, 11:20:43 pm
these look really good, does anyone know if you can get a compatible ssh client? (Xstart or anything similar?) and has anyone had any experience using the os out of easy mode?
it's got openssh-client installed.

others available like...
HSFTP
dropbear

Only used this for a couple of days in full desktop mode, and considering I'm no Linux expert probably not the best to judge. Pretty impressed so far, only limitations the screen size and keyboard as discussed below. got PhotoGimpShop, Audacity and a few games installed.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#24 Re: The future of mobile computing?
November 29, 2007, 11:45:29 pm
Just realised my copy of windows is not sp2 so it goes to the BSOD when I try to install. 
Having to download a new version...........

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal