UKBouldering.com

Best wireless router - what are you using? (Read 3139 times)

underground

• forum hero
Best wireless router - what are you using?
September 28, 2010, 11:52:15 pm
I think my problems are down to the router getting far too hot and being fried and hence, rubbish at doing the internet.

Amazon will refund, so I'm in the market for a new ADSL modem/router that connects to a phone socket (not cable).

slackers has made recommendations re. Linksys in the past but I can't find any of those with the blue bit on them for sale, they all seem to be Cisco branded now and the reviews don't seem ideal.

So - I want something that'll keep me online, do good wireless that stays connected, get new netwrok connections sorted easily (like my Readynas) and isn't a complete shit to configure.

Opinions appreciated please...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Linksys are owned by Cisco and have been for quite a while - Linksys is (or maybe was) their brand for the home so to speak.

Why is your router getting too hot in the first place anyway? Just a rubbish piece of kit or something else?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Linksys are owned by Cisco and have been for quite a while - Linksys is (or maybe was) their brand for the home so to speak.

Yep thats right, Cisco bought Linksys.

tomtom

• forum hero
Can you screw one out of your ISP? Or even move and get a free new one? Most ISP's have cheap/free ones with sign ups - and even if you stay with your existing one you may be able to negotiate something "my routers broken and I noticed that BT/VIRGIN/TALKTALK were offering a free router if I went over to them....."?

underground

• forum hero

Why is your router getting too hot in the first place anyway? Just a rubbish piece of kit or something else?

A bit of Googling suggests it's a bag of wank - got a refund sorted from Amazon so I'm now in the market for a new model.

So, to reiterate - what router should I buy? It needs to do ADSL broadband, not need the owner to be slackers to configure  ;) and not be shit at wireless in a standard semi detached house.

PS - I could have got a free router from the ISP but they need a 12 month commitment - currently on a cheapo no contract agreement with Plusnet and until I get this sorted, that's the way I like it. In fact I don't think I'd tie myself in with a 'standard' ISP again - I would with Zen Internet mind, they were always ace.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I've found Netgear decent and easy to configure. I've got an old one of these and it's been great.

underground

• forum hero

I've found Netgear decent and easy to configure. I've got an old one of these and it's been great.

I just reconnected my old one of those that has no wireless, and it's like a dream. The hot one I'm sending back is a Netgear DGN2000 - same model as the one you've got but 'draft N' apparently.

I think I'll grab a DGN834G as they're only bout 20 quid on ebuyer at present.

underground

• forum hero
I didn't order the old Netgear in the end as the v5 model is apparently very different to the one getting hundreds of good reviews on ebuyer. I opted for two 'Tenda' branded ones instead, 30 quid each - good reviews, and if they turn out any good, one will be pressed into service as a range extender right away

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I'm a cisco (certified no less) geek and would always recommend linksys, but i would say if you can get your hands on one, buy one of the linksys branded ones. I had a test of one of the new cisco linksys jobbies (cant remember model, but it was black and looked like an alien spaceship) and the wireless range was crap. I bought a linksys wag200g off the interweb and its brilliant. Better in my eyes than the netgear dg834 which i had previously.

Failing that, apparently those Draytek ones are really good, but i havent personally had a test of one (no discount for corporates! features i dont want my users to have)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I didn't order the old Netgear in the end as the v5 model is apparently very different to the one getting hundreds of good reviews on ebuyer. I opted for two 'Tenda' branded ones instead, 30 quid each - good reviews, and if they turn out any good, one will be pressed into service as a range extender right away

Were they any good? It seems I may have to get a new one as the PC doesn't like connecting to the free Sky one I'm currently using (people who know more about such things are testing them for me).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I bought a linksys wag200g off the interweb and its brilliant.

One of these Dob?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal