UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide (Read 111067 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#200 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:08:28 pm
Sheet!  Ah lurve me a lady in gingham . . .

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#201 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:11:26 pm
Sorry Dave, your comments aren't helping your arument.  When you are childish, accusatory, confrontational etc it's like the playground.  If anything people are more likely to ignore what you have to say.  I'm genuinely interested to hear your opinion, but not if it contains loads of "nah nha-na-nah-na" shit.

Love from Greg Chapman's Wench. :-*

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#202 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:14:39 pm
I've lost track here. Who is calling who a chicken? Who is calling who a bitch? Who wants some? Who's who? Who's in charge?

dave

#203 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:20:46 pm
You won't want my image on your homepage then.

Your image? I didn't realise you'd bought the rights from dobbin. I doubt anyones losing sleep over that loss though. ::)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#204 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:26:12 pm
Sir!

How dare you!    Madam Buchanan is my hero, not only as he is responsible for pushing world bouldering standards to new and lofty heights but his behaviour under duress is a credit to Britain and a worthy lesson to us all!

I demand a duel to the death!  Let no-one critisize her awesomeness in all things!  You unwholesome swine!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#205 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:30:24 pm
You won't want my image on your homepage then.

[pedant]
If its you in the picture then someone else took the picture and the copyright lies with them no?
[/pedant]

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#206 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:40:42 pm
Unless you have taken out a copyright on your own image? Many divas do this.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#207 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:47:45 pm
Blimey. The only logical explanation I can see here for why Mr B has chucked his toys out of the pram in such a dramatic and undignified manner is that it was him who proof read the guide and that Moose was therefore directly insulting him by pointing out the number of errors it contains. I say this is logical based on A: His reaction and B: The number of spelling mistakes in his posts.  :-\

If in doubt, post a picture of a chicken. Twice.

Jesus.  ::)

Paul B

• forum hero
#208 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 02:48:31 pm
I hope that photo gets taken down a.s.a.p

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6512.0.html

:whistle:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#209 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 03:09:15 pm
Christ almighty... I have a job interview... log back on...and ooh what a palaver.....

For those who are interested (seemingly a congregation of one), my name is Luke, I live in Selby, and am frequently to be found performing an approximation to bouldering at the Leeds Wall.  If you see me, say hello, my avatar is a distressingly accurate likeness (although I am more placid than Mr Keown - don't bother bringing the heavy mob).   

I appreciate that the new guide represents a lot of hard work and self-sacrifice.  However, I do stand by most of my critisisms, although I admit that the phrasing was perhaps a little harsh.  Sorry, but I was in a bad mood - a previous job interview - travelling the length of the country to have a bunch of very clever people criticise you for several hours does that ("man hands on misery to man, it deepens like a coastal shelf..."). 

So, I still stand by my opinion that the new guide is disappointing, perhaps especially given the amount of time and work that has done into it.  I do like the photos, and the crag / problem coverage seems fine (the decision to leave out the Bridies is brave and responsible), but the execution has left a sour aftertaste.  I find it hard to reconcile this seeming lack of care / courtesy to the reader with my favourable impression of Steve Dunning's decency and dedication to the project.  Especially as many of the faults should have been readily identified and remedied; presumably the writers had any number of friends willing to check the proofs (or were they all too busy arguing over the grade of Hot Dog Fromage)? 

Perhaps I just expected too much: the old YGB guide was a favourite (I still feel the clarity of its maps and the detail of its topos make it superior to the new Peak guide in certain respects) and in these days of digital photography, and with access to the peerless resource of the yorkshiregrit database, my hopes for the new one were perhaps ludicrous.  Possibly nothing short of a guide that shouted useful beta and moved your mat underneath you would have truly satisfied... although a problem index and less missing lines and glaring typos would have been a nice start. 

But, all things considered, the new guide is still the best available for the area: the faults are generally trivial and although annoying are no barrier to a good day out (I just get very irked by sloppiness).  In fact I recently baptised my copy with a trip to Brimham where I climbed on several butresses I had never attempted to find before.  The new guide's use of photographs meant that I could yomp over the moors secure in the knowledge that I would recognise the problems when I saw them (always a concern with Brimham).  That I guess is the most important test of a guide.  Although it could be argued that it is a just a base-line advantage of the photographic format (like arguing that Titanic is a great film because the ship sinks in a more impressive fashion than the radio version).

Sorry to take up so much room again with what is just one person's subjective opinion.  Next time I have an opinion on anything I feel to be of interest to the bouldering community I shall keep it to myself.  Or perhaps just post something along the lines of "I h8 gyde, the wordz and nmbers are gash" rather than bothering to clearly explain and elucidate my misgivings.  Incidentally, practically everyone I met at Brimham had a copy.......

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#211 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 03:37:45 pm
Blimey. The only logical explanation I can see here for why Mr B has chucked his toys out of the pram in such a dramatic and undignified manner is that it was him who proof read the guide and that Moose was therefore directly insulting him by pointing out the number of errors it contains. I say this is logical based on A: His reaction and B: The number of spelling mistakes in his posts.  :-\

That may be one mighty big nail you are hitting the head of there.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#212 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 04:45:19 pm
And if I may paraphrase Herr Popp:  What an edifying spectacle this has been . . .

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#213 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 08:00:28 pm
One of the most realistic and constructive review threads has now been totally brutalised.  Anally.  Thanks for that.   >:(

uptown

• junky
#214 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 08:01:24 pm

I counted 12 typos on page 245, and two missing problems. Fat punters roof is most certainly not a problem of outstanding quality and I'd like to have seen an action photo of Whitehouses too - I've got some good ones in my collection as has YG. On the previous page the typos continue, the grid reference is wrong and the road marked on the map as The Raikes is actually for local access only - Let's not annoy the locals.
Having said all this, Yorkshire grit did need a new bouldering book - I'm just not sure that this photo-topo format reveals its true quality.

I make no excuses for my opinion Mr B - I have met Steve, respect and like Steve, and take my white hat off to him for tackling the hardest of jobs for guidebook writers. I do however hope that he spells my name correctly for the second guide. I reckon that Dvae Sutcliffe (page 169), Andy Swan (page 13), John Syret (page 9) and Jerry Moffat (page 12/13) [sic,sic,sic,sic] would also be pleading for a more thorough proofread. I have offered this service previously on this forum and repeat that offer again so that future guides can have the quality feedback you seem to demand.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#215 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 08:47:28 pm
Fair? posting that review anonymously?! Seriously? You actually think this is reasonable!? I'm astonished!
His/her username was no more anonymous than yours. If you don't like a bad review of something you like then really it's just tough - welcome to the internet where people tend to disagree with each other.

I also have to say that I am totally ashamed that the picture of me on the front of this website represents all these sad fools who could not be any more negative and overly critical if they tried.
Awww. Poor you. That photo doesn't represent anything of the sort. I just grabbed one of Dobbin's pics and did 20 seconds photoshop on it - i had no idea that it was you, whoever you are. Of course you say that you're Dave Buchanan but really there's no way of you proving it.

Perhaps the time has come for the website to change its logo.  Please can it be replaced? I am no longer happy for that picture of me to be used and I do not wish to be associated with this website or many of its more pathetic users.
Errrm ok, whatever. I'm not sure you actually have any rights in that area but since you've acted like such a fool on this topic I'll get rid of it anyway so we're not associated with you :)

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#216 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:59:13 pm
can I just say..

went to widdop today..

directions, in 'the new guide' were shite..

did FOB in a session,

and.

thanks Moose for the beta..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#217 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:02:01 pm
Surely you mean Fight On The Black?

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#218 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:11:23 pm
ha ha! yes, how stupid of me...

is ten thousand dave gonna be on my case?

hmmm..

ironically I climbed with Jerry yesterday.. @ woodhouse no less..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#219 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:12:18 pm
Would that be Jerry Moffat or Jerry Peal?

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#220 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:21:22 pm
Ironically, I had this argument with someone earlier today..

metaphorically, it was which is better... sash windows or upvc? ie wood ones...

a life statement?????

jerry p or jerry m?

Im a little bit pissed

always jp.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:30:40 pm by nathan wind »

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#221 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:34:18 pm
oh shit..

it was one thousand dave..

i live in fear

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#222 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:37:38 pm
No, that's just a typo.  It's supposed to be Ten thousand Dave.
But we all live in fear nonetheless.   :o

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#223 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:43:09 pm

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#224 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:44:43 pm
Would that be Jerry Moffat or Jerry Peal?

mac said no whilst trying to answer

clearly..

jp

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal