UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide (Read 110665 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#150 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 26, 2008, 11:07:33 am
Oh, and I noticed in the intro that Bridestones is being omitted to rest it, but a PDF will be along later?  Am I misreading or is this self defeating?

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
#151 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 26, 2008, 11:48:26 am
Oh, and I noticed in the intro that Bridestones is being omitted to rest it, but a PDF will be along later?  Am I misreading or is this self defeating?

To be fare it says;
Due to the vast number of bouldering areas it was not practical to include every crag, however total-climbing has many of the omitted crags as free pdf downloads.........We decided it was best to "rest" Bridestones and include some new venues to help take the strain.

I interpret that as saying there won't be a Bridestones pdf?

Sypeland

• stalker
#152 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 26, 2008, 12:18:46 pm
Fare?Fair?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#153 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 26, 2008, 12:35:23 pm
Fair.
Fair enough.  I know the place anyway.  Let's keep it for future generations.  :lol:

Sypeland

• stalker
#154 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 26, 2008, 12:55:09 pm

Fair enough.  I know the place anyway.  Let's keep it for future generations.  :lol:

Who will all wonder where that splendid looking arête is on page 15!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#155 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 26, 2008, 04:08:51 pm
Exactly.  Most excellent problemo, which I'd probably hunt out if I saw the photo but didn't know where it was.
But photos and mentions of it being excluded maybe don't help the "keeping it quiet" aspect :lol:

We have concentrated on the bad points of this guide, which is maybe unfair.  It has good points to it too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#156 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 27, 2008, 12:05:12 am
We have concentrated on the bad points of this guide, which is maybe unfair.  It has good points to it too.

Having not bought it yet, the good points are....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#157 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 27, 2008, 12:18:26 am
It looks good.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#158 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 27, 2008, 11:42:14 pm
sorry i don't know, or care to know, how to group two quotes together. can somebody tell me ;)
when i pointed out that everybody i spoke to said the new guide was shit, i got this reply

Amazing - have you actually managed to see a copy to form your own opinion?  I think I already know the answer.....

i hadn't actually seen a copy, which may have gone some way to me saying "everybody i spoke to said the new guide was shit", which strangely enough wasn't my own opinion since i had heard this off others. if it was my own opinion i would have said the new guide is shit, which i didn't. however i read the new guide yesterday. the new guide is shit

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#159 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:24:59 am
sorry i don't know, or care to know, how to group two quotes together. can somebody tell me ;)

When writing your reply you scroll down, and find the reply you want to quote. Click "Insert Quote". You're father, or mother has a brother called Robert.

i hadn't actually seen a copy, which may have gone some way to me saying "everybody i spoke to said the new guide was shit", which strangely enough wasn't my own opinion since i had heard this off others. if it was my own opinion i would have said the new guide is shit, which i didn't. however i read the new guide yesterday. the new guide is shit

Nicely put. A very delicate response there.

By the way, [pedant] you would
don't... care to know, how to group two quotes together
and yet you ask
can somebody tell me

And I was getting the impression you don't mess your words
[/pedant]

And I'm fully expecting some -ve karma for that one!

Paul B

• forum hero
#160 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 12:49:00 am
can somebody tell me
it seems however (for whatever reason, maybe to make your point actually make sense?) that you decided NOT to quote the joking/winking smiley from that post!

(our clique is once again almost complete, all we need now is Saltbeef to join in and attack!)

1000.dave

• regular
#161 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 09:22:30 am
"The lines on the topos are ugly and look like they have been clumsily drawn on with the free drawing package in Word.  The number and frequency of spelling mistakes is utterly appalling and frankly insulting to the purchaser.  Reading the guide in a bad mood induced a mental sensation akin to reading a beloved novel rendered into teenage "txt spk" whilst listening to someone scratch a nail down a blackboard.

just a remedial ability to read English and perhaps match numbers in the descriptions

too little spent performing basic duties to the reader

Lots of photos of problems, even if the material around them is suspect

pointless a waste of paper

some perverse omissions
"

Those are brave words. Does me Mr Moose climb as boldly as he writes?

Does he have a real name?

1000.dave

• regular
#162 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 09:28:40 am
Sorry for the tpyo above, I hope I haven't upset Mr Moss. Moose. Sorry.

dave

#163 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 09:36:07 am

And this is relevant because....?????...??

1000.dave

• regular
#164 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:02:46 am
I believe it is relevent because I believe he would not dare to write that review if he actually had to identify himself...!

Greg C

• forum hero
#165 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:04:08 am
"The lines on the topos are ugly and look like they have been clumsily drawn on with the free drawing package in Word.  The number and frequency of spelling mistakes is utterly appalling and frankly insulting to the purchaser.  Reading the guide in a bad mood induced a mental sensation akin to reading a beloved novel rendered into teenage "txt spk" whilst listening to someone scratch a nail down a blackboard.

just a remedial ability to read English and perhaps match numbers in the descriptions

too little spent performing basic duties to the reader

Lots of photos of problems, even if the material around them is suspect

pointless a waste of paper

some perverse omissions
"

Whether or not you agree with Mr. Moose's general view that the guide isn't great, you can't be questioning the accuracy of the general facts he has stated or the eloquence of his response? Are you saying that there aren't the mistakes and (subjective) omissions he has pointed out?

dave

#166 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:09:26 am
I believe it is relevent because I believe he would not dare to write that review if he actually had to identify himself...!

why, are you going to hunt him down slash his tyres then or something?

if he's bought a guide then it strikes me he's entitled to an opinion. i don't think people need to disclose their name, address and NI number to have an opinion. (I assume "1000.dave" is not whats written on your birth certificate).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#167 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:24:43 am
Wouldn't the guide be better served by an eloquently put together defence of the book, countering the specific criticisms raised by Moose, rather than  questioning the guy's 'bravery' with what sound like thinly veilled threats.
 Besides, Moose is a regular user of the forum, has never made a point of hiding his identity and could hardly be classed as anonymous.

1000.dave

• regular
#168 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:25:38 am
I don't believe its fair or reasonable in anyway. I think the guide is excellent, a huge improvement on any of the old guides by any standards. I also think that if you're going to post such a detailed and considered response you owe it to the authors to present a reasonable balanced opinion. It doesn't come across as a flippant rant or a joke in anyway! And ... it's much easier to do if you're protected by being anonymous. Although Moose could yet put me to shame, prove me wrong entirely and print his name on the forum.

Yours sincerely
Lord Lucan

1000.dave

• regular
#169 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:29:50 am
Hey, if he feels threatened maybe he has a guilty conscience! It wasn't meant as a threat, but it definately says speaks volume s that that's how it is being interpreted!

Yours
Mr Big

1000.dave

• regular
#170 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:32:57 am
Okay, If Moose reprints his review with his real name next to it I will admit he is the big man and I will graciously concede defeat  :P

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#171 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 10:37:36 am
...it definately says speaks volume s that that's how it is being interpreted!

No it speaks volumes that thats how you are interpreting it.

I also think that if you're going to post such a detailed and considered response you owe it to the authors to present a reasonable balanced opinion.

And yours is where?

Fine you like the book, someone else doesn't.  Neither of you have revealed your true identity (although I'd imagine there are more users on this forum who know Moose than you).

Why do you have a bee in your bonnet about it?  If your that bothered by criticism then why don't you write a repost to Moose's giving the guide the praise you feel it deserves (although I doubt thats going to remove any typos from it, which as was pointed out shouldn't have been allowed past the QC).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#172 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:00:13 am
Hey, if he feels threatened maybe he has a guilty conscience!
I've no idea if Moose feels threatened, it was my opinion of how your post could be read. Why would he lack 'bravery'  unless there was some implied negative consequence to handing out his id?
It wasn't meant as a threat, but it definately says speaks volume s that that's how it is being interpreted!

I don't understand what you mean by speaks volumes. What do you think it says?

1000.dave

• regular
#173 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:01:57 am
No, it speaks volumes about how you are interpretting it, times infinity plus one.   :kiss2: I think like you're  a bit overly sensative. It'll wear off as you get more experienced.

You've read my opinion, its a great guide, I think it needed more gurning though.

C'mon you moose you big chicken! C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon C'mon .

1000.dave

• regular
#174 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 28, 2008, 11:08:03 am

I hope thats post a picture of a BIG CHICKEN!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal