UKBouldering.com

reducing your beer belly (Read 9216 times)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 10:10:32 am
ok, I getting fed up of my gut

Someone give me some ideas on how to get rid of a beer belly

I have change my diet, and dont drink a great deal, I'm putting it down to middle age spread.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 10:12:08 am
I have a growing beer gut, but that's cos I drink lots of beer.
If anyone has tips on being able to drink beer and avoiding beer belly I'd be grateful.   :pissed:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#2 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 10:30:09 am
It's not so complicated, just run 10k every day and I am quite sure you'll be looking trim fairly soon.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#3 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 10:47:21 am
hang on. last time I saw you, you had a bit of a gut, and love handles

and i have never seen you run 10k

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#4 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 10:52:37 am
but did you see me complaining on any forums?  ;)

I could do with losing 2kg and when the time comes I will, but for now it's natures very own weightbelt.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 10:55:31 am
for now it's natures very own weightbelt.
:lol:

Yeah, I'll give you that Unc.  The running does work, you just have to go regularly.  It only needs a spare 40 minutes a day, it's just getting off your arse and doing it.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#6 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 12:47:28 pm
do you think swimming will have the same effect, the reason, my little boy is not at school right now, so everything i do I have to do with him, night times are for the climbing wall, and I only get two hours 3 times a week

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 01:03:40 pm
its all about putting less in your gob.i've got one of these heart rate thingys that tells you how many calories i've used.
so it goes like this 3 hours hilly bike ride 2,000+ calories used.right that means we can eat loads so bottle of red wine,pizza,chips,choclate,biscuits etc then wonder why my gut isn't getting any smaller.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#8 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 03:01:55 pm
You say you've changed your diet, but what exactly have you done? Make sure that oats form a significant part of your daily food intake. Reduce your main meal portion sizes by about 10-20%. If you're hungry eat an apple, and drink lots of water.

I used to be quite an enthusiastic drinker, and consequently started to develop the dreaded beer gut, especially as I moved into my 30s. I did shift it pretty quickly once though - I went on a 10 day ice climbing trip to Cogne - climbed every day, got really cold belaying for some long photo shoots etc, and came back having lost much body fat. Suddenly had really strong fingers and did loads of bugbear problems.

I don't drink much these days, so it is less of an issue, but then again I do live on the aforementioned diet of oats and apples.

Not sure if swimming will help - surely junior will get bored if you are just lapping the pool rather than spending time splashing about with him?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#9 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 04:08:29 pm
could he not sit on a lilo connected by a length of cord to yourself as you lap the pool? that way, you get all the cardiovascular benefits of swimming with resistance, and he gets a free ride...

perhaps you could wear a dolphin outfit, and at the end of each length balance a ball on your nose while he feels you a pilchard.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 04:32:34 pm
perhaps you could wear a dolphin outfit, and at the end of each length balance a ball on your nose while he feels you a pilchard.

Or go the whole hog and have a dolphinplasty.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 05:47:24 pm
swimming will not help you reduce fat in any realistic way neil. run, don't eat so much, don't drink every night :o

Yossarian

• forum hero
#12 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 05:58:41 pm
swimming will not help you reduce fat in any realistic way neil.

it will if he rubs himself with seal juice and goes for a paddle with some great whites...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 28, 2007, 06:02:28 pm
don't drink every night

Ah, yes.  This is my downfall.  Cirrhosis and not being able to see past my belly are coming.   :alky:

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#14 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 29, 2007, 12:00:47 am
tops I think i will opt for the dolphinplasty :great:

then I can go get pissed.

Think the seal juice is a bit extreme at the mo, can still see my knob, just.

i just come back from 4 weeks in mello, and actually put on weight, despite climbing every day, mind you, I really did drink every night bar 1, god help me whn I move to font, bring on the desperado     ;D

account_inactive

• forum hero
#15 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 29, 2007, 05:44:52 pm
I think Jerry's advice is best........

'don't eat anything a go for a long walk'

I recently read a research project that said that the majority of weight loss came from exercise and dieting.  One group just dieted and the other dieted and exercised.  The difference between the two groups was about 10%!  So diet is key.

Try to reduce your calorie intake (500 max ish) per day and get running.  Unlike cycling its pretty much impossible to build any significant muscle in your legs.  I can't run (due to being a cripple) and tried losing weight by cycling.  After 6 weeks I weighed the same but my body fat had reduced somewhat.  Since I stopped I've lost most of the extra muscle in my leg and am back down to a better weight.

To target fat you need to work at a low heart rate (google it!).  Imagine body fat like the layers of an onion, you will only strip away layers of fat from your whole body.  There is no such thing as spot reduction unfortunately.  Tried to work on some core exercises that target your belly.  This will also help raise your metabolism from gaining muscle.

Its worth checking our these
http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/store/sports-supplements/fat-loss/muscletech-hydroxycut---50-caps.asp
, although the best (read illegal) versions are these
http://astronutrition.com/blog/weight_loss_products?gclid=COL73uWN6Y4CFQTolAodPCwkLA

Try http://www.brianmac.co.uk/fat.htm for some better info

Good luck BTW

(sorry for the lack of hyperlinks)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#16 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 29, 2007, 06:06:58 pm
sounds great,

I do have one more problem, that is, I have to opposite of diabettes, I produce to much insolin, or however you spell it, so I have to eat very regular. So I cant just simply stop eating. I have been cycling loads aswell, but I could actually do with some leg muscle, Im not to bothered about my weight, just the amount of fat.

So im guessing, just watch calories, and fat intake. I might get of my lazzy arse and go for a run when she get home from work 3 times a week.

So what type of running, gentle jog over a long distance or what?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#17 Re: reducing your beer belly
September 29, 2007, 10:56:50 pm
gentle jog for very long.
i think you don't start to burn the excess fat before the first half hour, more or less. before you take from quick sugar stockage.
i'd suggest you to measure you heart rate every morning, even before stepping out of bed, for like a week. then you go and run keeping your heart rate at more or less the double than what you measured.

Vitamin K

• addict
#18 Re: reducing your beer belly
October 01, 2007, 11:44:19 am
Not sure I'd recommend Ephedrine as a way to lose weight, although it can be effective for a quick, short-term reduction. The effect can be to feel pretty strung out in the end; although on the plus side you do feel you have loads of energy. Of course this is not from personal experience but simply what I've been told.

As Dylan writes, running is the way to go - I've just got back into it again and the weight does come off gradually. This means that you don't have that mad quick reduction, which only leads you to pile the pounds back on again when the hunger gets too much to bear.

Luckily your kids are younger than mine. Went for a run (when I started again) with my eldest (12). It was a bit hilly and I admit I struggled a bit. Got back to the house and I ask him how he found it - "Not bad for a loosener" was his response. Now that's what I call motivation.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#19 Re: reducing your beer belly
October 02, 2007, 12:13:08 pm
running and eating less are the easiest way I guess, taking the opportunity to bike or walk into town if you've the time can help..

best thing imo though is boxing, or rather cv training at a decent boxing gym.. most run some form of 'boxercise' class so maybe try that? plenty of running, skipping, core training, shadowboxing, easy padwork that kind of thing.. if you've never done anything like it before you'll shift weight fast, just dont do it the night before you go for the link on a project!!

even better than boxing would be a martial art, but it'd take time to get to proficient with all the different stances, hand techniques, kicks etc... learning and doing kung fu was a revelation for me, I started at a time when I wasnt climbing that much, just dj'ing and drinking, and had put on a stone... mistakenly I still thought I was fit.. turned out I wasnt even close.. think I lost 4lbs in my first proper class..

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#20 Re: reducing your beer belly
October 02, 2007, 11:29:41 pm
had to share this, checking out some weight loss shit and came across this

a dense loner

• forum hero
#21 Re: reducing your beer belly
October 03, 2007, 09:49:24 am
is it an advert for the red cross?

Idol eyes

• junky
#22 Re: reducing your beer belly
October 03, 2007, 12:57:03 pm
I have grave news for the ladies, not only do I possess a growing belly (product of not smoking for 2 years), but, I AM GOING BALD....WAHHHHH,
Or at least receding, sorry  mullet fans

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#23 Re: reducing your beer belly
October 04, 2007, 09:34:15 am
DONT WORRY Im going bold too along side my beer belly, and to top things off im going grey aswell

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#24 Re: reducing your beer belly
October 04, 2007, 01:48:17 pm
DONT WORRY Im going bold too

so you're going to try Gaia?
 ;)
sorry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal