UKBouldering.com

Mark Thomas Subversive Comedy Genius (Read 1328 times)

A Jooser

• menacing presence
Mark Thomas Subversive Comedy Genius
May 15, 2007, 10:49:10 am
The Gordon Brown thread has been quite interesting but a point only just touched upon is the current government’s tendency to keep inventing crimes through excessive new legislation.

Quote from topic: Gordon Brown
Quote from Andy B, May 11, 2007, 10:06:49 AM
I agree with Andy. many pieces of legislation that have been passed in the last ten years, alot of which didn't neccessarily grab the headlines, were, in my opinion, really positive changes and genuine attempts at improving social justice in Britain.

In last night’s Radio 4 programme – Mark Thomas: My Life in Serious Organised Crime – comedian Mark Thomas brilliantly exposes the flaws in the new Serious Organised Crime and Police Act. This is the law brought in to ban spontaneous protests outside the Houses of Parliament.

“A strange law… has lead us to the state where a woman was threatened with arrest for having a picnic in Parliament Square. Her cake had the word PEACE iced upon it and the police insisted this counted as an unauthorised political protest.”

If you missed the programme it’s available as a Listen Again item on the Radio 4 website. It’s funny, hugely entertaining and well worth checking out.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Don't you just love the quaint and quirky English legal system? It's what makes us.

lowlife

• regular
Heh Heh, very funny program. Particularly enjoyed the police statement:
"police on patrol will be able to impose measures...in case, in the defence of surrealism, you do anything silly".

:P

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
His book 'as used on nelson mandela' is well worth a read

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal