UKBouldering.com

Quitting smoking made me weaker! (Read 8293 times)

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:00:14 pm
As the message say's, I've packed in the fags/cigars (again, this time for good. I hope). I went down the wall yesterday and felt weaker than I've been for a long time, not to say I was ever strong, but it was depressing. My stamina seemed worse as well. Does anyone know why and for how long this persists?

All help and info greatfully received.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:16:13 pm
I stopped almost 6 months ago, from 20 a day.  Since then I've had nothing but colds and coughs.  I am definitely quicker and better at walking up hills but worse at bouldering.  I feel as strong but stamina is crap.  It may be lack of rests between attempts (ie fag breaks) but I'm not sure.
So, in answer to your question- at least 6 months!!!!!
Smoking makes you climb better and harder

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#2 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:21:36 pm
Which doesn't make any sense now does it? Surely packing in the fags wil increase your aerobic and anaerobic capacity so you should feel stronger and have more stamina pretty quickly, nevermind 6 months down the line (it's only been 3 days for me, I don't want to be weak and crap in the middle of the chuffing season as well).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#3 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:28:06 pm
You are quite right, but that's how it feels.  Carbon Monoxide may not effect anaerobic capacity which may mean bouldering power is not affected, whilst endurance is since this relies on oxygen binding to haemoglobin.
So when you quit, power may not improve but you would think endurance would.   :-\
But smoking is a stimulant too, and I used to have a puff before the send so maybe that helped??
Stick to beer.

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:35:54 pm
Just wait til' you start putting weight on. That happened to Messenger, then again he was fat to begin with anyway!  :oops:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:38:20 pm
I put on a stone when I gave up smoking. Obviously that didn't help with bouldering. Are you eating plus drinking more boose to compensate for the cigs?
 I certainly had more coughs and colds for a while after stopping. I also had trouble sleeping for a while. It's to be expected really, you are changing the balance of your body chemistry. You are going to have a whole host of side effects if you give up any drug, these are going to be felt keener and sooner than any benefits. I'm sure you don't need telling it's worth it in the long run.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:39:49 pm
That's true.  I put on nearly 3kg since I stopped.  Power:weight ratio is going downhill.
Maybe it's the beer?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#7 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:41:37 pm
To GCW: I would stick to beer but I tend to spill my pint mid-slap...

Carbon monoxide in the bloodstream should (I would have thought) still affect maximum power as it limits the amount of oxygen the body can carry, hence reducing the amount available in the cells at any given time, hence reducing the efficiency of the cells to respire. But don't quote me on that as I'm no Biologist.

To Bonjoy: I drink way to much at the minute anyway, so I doubt I'd notice a difference there.... Trying not to eat to much, just snacking on dried fruit (dates, banana chips etc).

To Cuban: Most people say I need to put some weight on anyway, just ask Ian P

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:43:02 pm
Like Bonjoy said, your brain adapts to constant imput of stimulants and toxins from smoking by changing its chemistry. When you suddenly remove said smorgasboard of chemicals you leave it pretty confused. It will take time for the brain chemistry to readjust. As your brain controls virtually every process in your body the knock on effects can be quite big.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#9 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 12:54:08 pm
i have a recommendation for giving up smoking - running

don't know if you already do some - or if you'd rather poke yourself in the eye with a pencil
but running was a massive motivator whilst i was giving up smoking.

benefits
- stress relieving
- helps  with the whole weight gain thing
- gives better aerobic capability

- more significantly from a motivation point of view - makes the benefits of not smoking much more apparent, much sooner

mood wise - climbing is (for me) much more psychological - a frustrating session can leave me feeling worse afterwards than before - where as with running (maybe cos its not my main sport and i don't push/expect as much) even if i'm tired and runnig slow - i will feel better afterwards.

good luck with the giving up smoking - remember in the first few weeks there will be events that seem like crises that warrant smoking a cigarette - when in reality a traffic jam, or a bad day at work isn't the end of the world (damn that pesky withdrawl)

also remember after a few weeks/months - you will think that giving up is really easy, don't know what all the fuss is about - bet i could just have one down the pub (you know - now and then like) - this is generally a delusion

account_inactive

• forum hero
#10 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 01:01:33 pm
Its been a year and a half  :beer2: since I gave up and I feel WAY better for it

I found that my health got better after a couple of months,  my skin was clearer and I wasn't puffing on the way to the crag

Just remind yourself that you have made and excellent choice

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 01:36:29 pm
I remember Rob Smith saying giving up made him realise why he could never develop any stamina. Maybe it's just the ticket Andy! Hope you manage to stick with it.

IanP

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 01:46:19 pm
Your stamina didn't look too bad on Sunday, Andy!  And you don't look like you've put any weight on (yet!) - we'll all know that the weights going on when you no longer feel the need to remove you top as soon as the temperature starts to move towards double figures  ;)

More seriously one thing I'm finding with trying to fit more training sessions in is that that  I'm tending to get a few poor sessions in between the good ones even though I'm pretty sure that overall I'm getting fitter and stronger.  Probably need to do some lower intensity sessions - just always feels like a bit of a waste!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#13 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 04:26:57 pm
And if I see you smoking at the snug Andy, I'll similarly punter you twice!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#14 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 04:32:59 pm
And the other thing to remember is how much money you save. 
Assume 20 per day= £5 per day= 2 pints
1 Week= £35
2 weeks= £70= new pair Pinks
1 month= £151.66
1 year= £1820   
etc
:jaw:
Put it in a jar and go on a trip to Bleau with the procedes.  Good luck, it does get easier with time (a bit).

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#15 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 04:38:54 pm
And if I see you smoking at the snug Andy, I'll similarly punter you twice!

If that's not enough incentive then I don't know what is ;)

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#16 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 14, 2007, 09:36:47 pm
Its been just over a year for me now and I soooo much better. Its shit to start with and I was weak as fuck for the first couple of weeks and but after a while my body adapted and now I'm stronger than I've ever been, despite not really training any more than during the time I was a smoker. The hardest part for me was that it was part of my rest time at the crag - I'd have a few cracks at a problem and then a smoke.

Stick with it but start running (or do something aerobic) and drop maybe 500 cals a day immediately. I did, to counteract the weigh gain, and thakfully didn't put any on at all. :great:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#17 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 15, 2007, 12:22:20 am
Good luck with it Andy, it will be refreshing for you not to harass the counter for tobacco on a Thursday ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#18 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 15, 2007, 01:34:39 am
To Cuban: Most people say I need to put some weight on anyway, just ask Ian P

Is that fleece still far too big for you?

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#19 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 15, 2007, 08:48:35 am
Yep, and it's a child's size as well  :o

Dr T

• forum hero
#20 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 19, 2007, 10:28:31 pm
I went from 30 rollies a day to zero and according the the now missus I was a complete nightmare for the first two months
didn't boulder at the time so can't say how that affected my climbing but I did manage to walk to four sets of stairs to the lab' whereas before I had to rest on the third floor or take the lift.
as for sleep patterns I think the reason I was such a bitch to be around was I didn't get more than two hours sleep an night for the first couple of months
but man so much healthier now no contest....
sure there are days when I still want one, teaching'll do that to you even if you've never smoked but the increased time makes the urges less and the will power stronger
come to think about it I could have been too bad, I mean she did still marry me!!!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#21 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 19, 2007, 10:36:54 pm
I am also trying hard to ditch the smokes at present.

I'm doing fairly well considering I have smoked for 10 years. I was on rollies, maybe about 10-20 a day and I have managed 5 days out of the last 8 without any and only had a few on the other days. They were mainly with a drink in my hand as well, so I am figuring that keeping out of the way of the boozer will help.

I did notice today I was craving a little bit, when I was out at the cobble I found myself wandering about aimlessly when I would normally be smoking away.

I am determined though as I said I would quit when Golt Jnr arrived, I hope I can stick with it.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#22 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 20, 2007, 06:18:32 am
I am determined though as I said I would quit when Jnr arrived, I hope I can stick with it.
I said that too but she was 2 before I got around to stopping.  Personally I found it easier to go cold turkey.  Tried cutting down/ having an odd smoke before and it never worked.

Good luck to the UKB quit club!!!!!! :great:

Dr T

• forum hero
#23 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
February 20, 2007, 08:51:21 am
found it easier to go cold turkey

the only way...
it hurts but it works....

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#24 Re: Quitting smoking made me weaker!
March 20, 2007, 11:01:40 pm
I am also trying hard to ditch the smokes at present.

I'm doing fairly well considering I have smoked for 10 years. I was on rollies, maybe about 10-20 a day and I have managed 5 days out of the last 8 without any and only had a few on the other days. They were mainly with a drink in my hand as well, so I am figuring that keeping out of the way of the boozer will help.

I did notice today I was craving a little bit, when I was out at the cobble I found myself wandering about aimlessly when I would normally be smoking away.

I am determined though as I said I would quit when Golt Jnr arrived, I hope I can stick with it.

Well, I'm a terrible failure  :'(

I have found myself back on the smoking wagon again. The urge to smoke was worse than previuos attempts to quit, and I have folded big style. I was moody as fuck and the found myself craving a smoke really badly. Its weird as i have stopped before cold turkey stylee with no worries.

I'm seriously considering going to my GP for Zaiban.

:(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal