UKBouldering.com

Food and sleep after training (Read 12250 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 12:43:38 pm
I heard it was important to eat within an hour of finishing training to stop the immune system weakening amd to help recover tissues. Is this true, and what sort of food should be eaten? Is it also important to get a good night's sleep to rebuild muscles?

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#1 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 01:19:07 pm
The optimal time is reckoned to be eat something within 20 mins of stopping and a proper meal within an hour.
Your body doesn't start to replace the energy it's used at the end of a training session, it starts replacing it (if energy's available) as it's used. So you need to constantly keep taking onboard carbs and some protein during your training. The best way I've found is SlimFast. This is what Olympic rowers use as it's easily digested when stomach isn't ready for something heavy.
Re Sleep: According to Tudo Bompa's  'Periodization Training For Sports' serious athletes need up to 10 hrs sleep a night and possibly even a nap during the day.

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 04:44:57 pm
The optimal time is reckoned to be eat something within 20 mins of stopping and a proper meal within an hour.

KFC on the way home from boulderUK tonight then!

Re Sleep: According to Tudo Bompa's  'Periodization Training For Sports' serious athletes need up to 10 hrs sleep a night and possibly even a nap during the day.

Does it matter when this 10 hours occurs? I.e. Is it OK for me to sleep from 3am until 1pm?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#4 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 04:49:37 pm
Andi, I sense the student in you is looking for ways to slack! I used to try and legitimate behaviour that was clearly detrimental to my climbing, but done all under the premise of 'i'm young'. Get pissed & get fat alongside the others, or get to bed and get strong.

Serpico

• forum hero
#5 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 05:17:01 pm
KFC on the way home from boulderUK tonight then!

Unlucky Fried Kitten isn't a proper meal...

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 05:19:00 pm
True, but I've heard goat's testicles do contain a lot of protein...
And anyway, it's there, beckoning me at the top of the hill, I can't resist popping in for a bite...

Serpico

• forum hero
#7 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 05:24:12 pm
True, but I've heard goat's testicles do contain a lot of protein...

Are you a Chupacabra?

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 03, 2007, 05:47:42 pm
I didn't think so until I looked in the mirror and compared it to a photograph...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 05, 2007, 12:26:41 pm
There is almost no nutrional value to KFC. You would be better off getting off home in a better time and making something healthy.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

bouldermonkey

• regular
#11 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 01:19:39 pm
So my Chips, Fried Chicken and onion rings from the local kebab shop after my 4 hour training session down the wall last night wasnt a particularly good idea?   :whistle:

Never mind - there was nothing in the house, and the grocery store around the corner is TOO expensive.

Monolith

• forum hero
#12 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 01:30:15 pm
It was probably the worst idea possible. I'm pretty sure that if you did a little bit of costing and nutrient analysis, pound-for-pound the grocery store would have triumphed. But endorphin-for-endorphin, your MSG laced, reconstituted chicken meat meal probably triumphed.

bouldermonkey

• regular
#13 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 01:39:20 pm
It was probably the worst idea possible. I'm pretty sure that if you did a little bit of costing and nutrient analysis, pound-for-pound the grocery store would have triumphed. But endorphin-for-endorphin, your MSG laced, reconstituted chicken meat meal probably triumphed.

Nutrition wise - you're definately right.  I've got gut-rot supreme today. 

As for cost wise... the kebab shop is the cheapest option hands down every time - the prices they charge at that local grocery store are extreme - i'm surprised they even remain in business charging those prices.

So what would be the best thing to eat after a 4 hour bouldering/climbing session - naturally protein is a fairly good option, so eggs, chicken etc.

The reason i ask is because i go climbing straight from the office, so from lunch, through the afternoon, into a climbing session, through that and home again, works out the best past of 11 hours without food.

Monolith

• forum hero
#14 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 01:46:10 pm
If I was in your shoes, I'd venture further afield until arriving at a decent greengrocers that you can afford to shop at. It makes very little sense to spend quite a lot of money on shitty chicken when you could go and buy a tuna steak and some broccoli for about the same non?

There's tons of threads on the forum on protein and diet-related matters. Just have a browse through the search function with some key words.

I'm still waiting for a thread to emerge along the lines of "how many times a week can I get pissed before my grade suffers".

P>S I've just noticed you're running the London Marathon this year. I'd have a drastic rethink on your diet if eating poor grade chicken in saturated fat is becoming your sports diet.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#15 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 09:35:21 pm
well.........without getting too out of order i reckon getting a bit pissed most nights is fine!! i.e: i have a beer or two most nights of the week.

there again, i dont climb font 8A, eat too much food, work too many hrs and have loads of non climbing committments.... I'm happy though  ;D

underground

• forum hero
#16 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 09:41:11 pm

I'm still waiting for a thread to emerge along the lines of "how many times a week can I get pissed before my grade suffers".

I did a lot of research into this, but it proved inconclusive. I think you need a control and a benchmark. I conducted all the experimantation myself....

Monolith

• forum hero
#17 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 09:46:39 pm
 :lol:

Underground, I still have a 'package' here for you which I absolutely must get out asap. Get back to your guzzling lad!

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 09:58:51 pm
As for cost wise... the kebab shop is the cheapest option hands down every time - the prices they charge at that local grocery store are extreme - i'm surprised they even remain in business charging those prices.

Really? where do you live? I spend around £20 a week on food and drink and thats having an organic veg. box delivered, not using supermarkets, using local free range butchers, fishmongers etc. I could just about get two meals a day at broomhill friery for that and your kebab shop can't be cheaper! ( (some people would beg to differ on this point i'm sure: I actually eat shit loads!)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#19 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 10:30:03 pm
I actually eat shit loads!

Paul you weigh 2 stone. Science doesn't agree. Calories in-calories used=how big you are.
maybe your bowels are defunct?

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 11:07:46 pm
56kg!
I don't think your in a good place to comment on the disfunctionality of someones bowels considering the smells you were letting off last time I saw you! nasty  :'(

bouldermonkey

• regular
#21 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 11:47:22 pm
Went down the local Jacksons store - nearest grocery store for 3 miles.

Bought:

Small bag of brown rice £4.00
450g minced beef  £4.99
1ltr skimmed milk £1.60
Carton of Fresh OJ - 1 Ltr £1.99

Total: £12.58

Made myself a Chilli Con Carne with a tub of sauce i had in the cupboard and ate half tonight, other half tomorrow night.  So thats about £6.50 per night.

I could eat for almost a week down at the kebab shop on the amount i spent tonight for those two meals.

Disgusting.  No wonder the nations getting fat... healthy food is just so damned expensive.

:furious:

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 23, 2007, 11:54:56 pm
go somewhere else then? where do you live?

bouldermonkey

• regular
#23 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 24, 2007, 12:45:35 am
go somewhere else then? where do you live?

Live city centre York - its the cheapest place for 3-4 miles.

I dont drive, and normally do a large shop which last 2-3 months via online shopping.

Just that this time of year, as for everyone, money is scarce. Once i get paid i'll be alright until then, it does work out cheaper to eat junk.

webbo

• forum hero
#24 Re: Food and sleep after training
January 24, 2007, 08:19:19 am
isn't there a sainsburys in york city centre.go just before they shut and you'll catch the stuff thats been reduced as it goes past its sell by date.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal