UKBouldering.com

Non-Quality Bouldering Videos (Read 1944162 times)

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#7150 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 21, 2023, 11:10:31 am
Quite a few people have done it from a true sitter already E.g. Jim and Shauna

csl

• junky
#7151 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 21, 2023, 11:33:22 am
Definitely. I demand a video of him doing the Alliance if he's 5 '5, that would be awesome. The Thick End of the Wedge vid is good too, presumably the slip is on home cooking?

Yeah he's well into Home Cooking when he almost bins it. Equal parts hilarious and impressive! Just seems to completely forget how to use his feet having done all the hard climbing  :lol:

https://youtu.be/1d00n6-6Et0?si=97hxRvBskROkrPzb

Daniel Woods level toping out skills.

I thought he was on his own but there's someone operating the camera, I would have been asking politely for a spot!

Also, he looks more like 5' 7 to me. With +1 ape index

Video description here says 175cm - which is just shy of 5'9", with a 5'7" ape.

Bradders

• forum hero
#7152 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 21, 2023, 12:27:24 pm
Quite a few people have done it from a true sitter already E.g. Jim and Shauna

Is there a video of Shauna doing it? Only ones I can see are heavily edited together, and it looks like she had a pretty big stack of pads.

I did hear she did it more than once on the day.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7153 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 21, 2023, 12:33:42 pm
Not sure if you're after proof or beta? I was there when Jim did it, off the floor or at most 1 thin pad as I recall. Even more impressive given his lack of reach.

Bradders

• forum hero
#7154 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 21, 2023, 12:37:49 pm
Can't I just be interested?

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#7155 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 21, 2023, 12:55:19 pm
Here’s the sitter off a single moon warrior pad, if you’re shorter it basically adds a move into the left hand crimp which most people start on

https://youtube.com/shorts/mFgiUZ0ehp4?si=6iUvKzKUWFJddjnN

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#7156 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 21, 2023, 07:38:55 pm
Here’s the sitter off a single moon warrior pad, if you’re shorter it basically adds a move into the left hand crimp which most people start on

https://youtube.com/shorts/mFgiUZ0ehp4?si=6iUvKzKUWFJddjnN

Lookin good on that

Definitely. I demand a video of him doing the Alliance if he's 5 '5, that would be awesome. The Thick End of the Wedge vid is good too, presumably the slip is on home cooking?

Yeah he's well into Home Cooking when he almost bins it. Equal parts hilarious and impressive! Just seems to completely forget how to use his feet having done all the hard climbing  :lol:

https://youtu.be/1d00n6-6Et0?si=97hxRvBskROkrPzb

175cm - which is just shy of 5'9", with a 5'7" ape.

That makes me feel better about mossatroscity.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7157 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 23, 2023, 05:26:05 pm

5'8", 5'9" Ape Index, no dabs, and no qualms about posting a video online as as far as I know I've just done the fucking boulder problems. And if I haven't, whatever, I'll edit the video description or take a lower grade #noshitsgiven

Wellsy

• forum hero
#7158 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 23, 2023, 09:38:41 pm
Primo vid as always amigo

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#7159 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 23, 2023, 10:02:43 pm

Third of the year (and grade) - psyched for what 2024 will bring :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7160 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 30, 2023, 09:45:42 am

Final, and worst, part. Nothing special but some cool climbs and some effort by a weak shitebag for literally half the V points of Coops ;) Also maybe some useful warm-ups for anyone visiting in March who wants to rampage through the 7s...

Also pretty sure I didn't dab but feel free to try to call it out anyway...

Duma

• forum hero
#7161 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 30, 2023, 10:12:13 am
Nice Matt, still plenty of quality in there. Anglophobie is ace, didn't it used to get 7A? I remember that span on Rouge-Gorge Assis too!

Duma

• forum hero
#7162 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 30, 2023, 10:21:39 am
Edit, just watched your previous (also great) vid. I must have been thinking of the sit.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7163 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
December 30, 2023, 10:24:48 am
Nice Matt, still plenty of quality in there. Anglophobie is ace, didn't it used to get 7A? I remember that span on Rouge-Gorge Assis too!
Thanks Duma! Yeah there's a bit of an overlap with the 7A video (Anglophobie assis and Corne De Bizon / Bisonneau) but I figured the semi-duplicates were tolerable (and quite different experiences for me). Yeah Rouge Gorge Assis was....hardly a king line, but I really enjoyed working it out and trying hard on it - fun foot sequences. Note my wee "6C Punter" fan....definitely not allowed a Makita....

Fraser

#7164 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
January 12, 2024, 12:03:29 am

Little video of Physical Graffiti at Dumbarton, matched with some nice music I found online.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#7165 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
January 20, 2024, 10:30:48 pm
First 10 of the year  :punk:

stone

• forum abuser
#7166 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 03:15:05 pm
As a general BigUp to everyone who publicly posts bouldering videos:- Jakob Schubert said watching videos was a key part of his process in sending Alphane . 01:17:20 in https://thenuggetclimbing.com/episodes/jakob-schubert

So no, posting bouldering videos isn't just about showing off. It is providing a valuable resource for the community. Thanks to everyone who contributes to that.

Duma

• forum hero
#7167 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 05:44:12 pm
What a crock of shit. Are you seriously suggesting any of the videos of Alphane were posted for any reason other than showing off (or variants of, eg sponsorship requirements)? Get a grip.

Kingy

• forum hero
#7168 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 06:31:44 pm
posting bouldering videos is mostly about showing off.

I've fixed that for you, you're welcome!  ;D

JamieG

• forum hero
#7169 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 06:42:52 pm
What a crock of shit. Are you seriously suggesting any of the videos of Alphane were posted for any reason other than showing off (or variants of, eg sponsorship requirements)? Get a grip.

Bit full on Duma. You can post videos because you think people will enjoying watching them (which we do) without it all being showing off. Not really that different than football highlights is it?

Bradders

• forum hero
#7170 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 08:00:23 pm

Bit harsh and uncalled for.

That said, videos are all well and good, but I've had several recent experiences where I've been trying things with either simply no videos, or where the only ones out there feature a climber with such different morphology their beta is totally worthless to me. It's taken longer to figure things out, but doing so has been a properly joyful experience each time. Just yesterday I was trying something with only a couple of videos of very tall people available and finally landed on a sequence, after 2 full sessions of puzzling, with not a single move being the same as the videos. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

The other thing is that finding beta which works for you optimally is a real skill, which you can only really acquire through practice. In the short term it's obviously quicker to find a video and then do that beta even if it's not perfect, but in the long run I think you'll be a better climber if you learn to figure things out for yourself.

peterbeal

#7171 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 09:11:37 pm
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3nNdA4tHle/

The never-ending debate in one IG post: fans, music, future of Font, etc

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7172 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 09:13:02 pm
In the short term it's obviously quicker to find a video and then do that beta even if it's not perfect, but in the long run I think you'll be a better climber if you learn to figure things out for yourself.

But if I just become a better climber can I still give that a green tick on IGs?

stone

• forum abuser
#7173 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 09:22:20 pm
For myself, I like to try something and then if I can't do it, watch videos, then try it again. It's just like watching other climbers in real life. The last three problems I've done (Bad Habits, Alpha and Mermaid) all used quite different beta from what was in the videos but I think I learnt from watching nonetheless. As much as anything, I learnt how I'm probably climbing around weaknesses that I could rectify a bit by working on them.

The trickiest problem I've ever managed (Ben's roof many years ago) was done by slavishly following Leah Crane's video. It totally was the opposite from what I was being told and shown by people at the crag. They said to tighten up the core and step feet along at all times. Leah flops and swings gibbon style.

I was struck by, and thought it notable, that Jakob Schubert, one of the best climbers in the world, chose to say at two points in that interview how much video watching contributed to him.

I couldn't say I really know any top climbers, but at the crag, people like Steve McClure, Ben Moon and Will Bosi appear to be motivated by a love of climbing. Perhaps they don't post videos with the intention of helping/inspiring other people's climbing -I haven't a clue. But it does, and I'm thankful for that and even more so for those posting videos of easy problems/routes I might climb.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 09:47:49 pm by stone »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7174 Re: Non-Quality Bouldering Videos
February 25, 2024, 09:48:39 pm
So no, posting bouldering videos isn't just about showing off. It is providing a valuable resource for the community. Thanks to everyone who contributes to that.
All the more reason to post half-decent ones in terms of angles and edits and lack of bullshit, and to NOT FUCKING DAB :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal