UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412512 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#1025 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 14, 2019, 07:29:25 pm
What do people do for beds? Currently thinking thickish mattress topper over bouldering mats might be a good shout.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#1026 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 14, 2019, 07:39:33 pm
Sorry, one more question... Did you put the sound deadening layer everywhere or just 50% coverage like the web page recommends?

I did more than that, most of the available surface, probably a bit overkill!

andy_e

• forum hero
#1027 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 14, 2019, 07:40:24 pm
Haha, cheers. I decided in the end to order an extra roll and go for a bit of overkill too!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1028 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 31, 2019, 08:09:31 am
Looks like we have just committed to a van (at least I paid a deposit today...)

Transit Custom.

Not doing a full convert but going to do a few things. I'll look through this thread when I get chance but info on the following would be great if people have it handy...

Leisure battery - keen for this + more electrics in back - charging points (maybe for normal plugs as well??) extra lights in back. I'd be keen to do this myself/with a bit of help (in exchange for climbing gear)

Pop top roof - I like the look of the Austops roof, any other suggestions/info.

Whats current thinking on insulation? Both sound and heat? I used the wool type stuff on the old van years ago, just stuffed it into the cavities behind the panelling.

Pretty excited!

My big tip for van electric would be to install a DC-DC charger rather than a split charge relay, these days you canget them with a built in solar charge controller. Reasons:
  • Modern alternators often don't like split charge/VSRs
  • Future proofed for solar install
  • Can pair up some old laptop chargers as a 230v aux feed

E.G:  https://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/MPPT-solar-regulators/CTEK-20A-12V-dc-dc-battery-smart-charger

Having owned a self built van for 7 years, I'm not totally sold on the idea of using wool insulation. We used recycled plastic rockwool, but if I did it again I'd probably go for something solid so that some airflow can get in a make sure all the cavities get to dry out once in a while.

I can imagine wool getting damp and smelly...but...if others have done it and been happy, then it's maybe ok?

Motown

• regular
#1029 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 31, 2019, 02:20:10 pm
Having owned a self built van for 7 years, I'm not totally sold on the idea of using wool insulation. We used recycled plastic rockwool, but if I did it again I'd probably go for something solid so that some airflow can get in a make sure all the cavities get to dry out once in a while.

I can imagine wool getting damp and smelly...but...if others have done it and been happy, then it's maybe ok?
[/quote]

What ‘solid’ stuff would you use?

Thanks

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1030 Re: Camper Van knowledge
November 05, 2019, 09:17:42 pm
The non-eco version would be something like kingspan, but I'm sure there are versions that are better for the environment. Maybe recycled cork?

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#1031 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 11:07:30 am
Hi everyone. I'm having some trouble deciding what size van to buy, so I'm hoping for some thoughts based on experience.

Quick background. Intended use: daily commute (10 miles / 25 minutes each way), regular weekend climbing trips and a couple of fortnight trips to Europe each year for me and my girlfriend.
My priorities: economy / low emissions (the environment innit), the ability to leave it idling in a car park for 45 minutes without being advised of dickish behaviour (that one isn't serious).

Valuing economy has pushed me towards a caddy maxi or similar. So the crux of it is, will regularly sleeping in such a van be a pain in the ass? Will I regret not getting something the next size up (like a Peugeot expert or Nissan nv200 for example)? Obviously getting something larger will compromise the economy but am I trying to go too far in the direction of sacrificing the comfort of larger vans?

My second question is about how much to spend. Given that electric vans currently do not have adequate range, what is the risk of this changing in the next five years and diesel becoming obsolete to the point that anything I buy today will depreciate in value much faster than expected? Obviously I don't want to spend loads on something that has completely lost its value in five years time.

Stuart Anderson

• regular
#1032 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 11:15:25 am
I've got a Caddy Maxi, ex- British Gas. I had windows put in the side loading doors. Retro-fitted seats which fold flat (I've got two youngsters) . Built shelves and a base in the back then when I fold the seats down gives me a large area to sleep on.

I looked at other vans such as you mentioned. There wan't actually that much more room when I was in it (rather than just going off manufacturers volume sizing). I had a Toyota Hiace before which was obviously more roomy but not massively so in the headroom dept.

The NV200 felt like it was made from tin foil. The new Expert types do look solid though.

As for living in it? I work away lots and it's fine. Admittedly I'm solo but for your intended use it beats a tent.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1033 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 11:43:34 am
Currently in spain for the winter in my lwb sprinter. Its not built with the best use of space and have mates with smaller vans that are laid out better for a climber. Mine has a huge storage space in back which i dont need. Also shower and toilet thats never needed.

When i come back ill be downsizing to something like the fiat ducato sized vans. Probably lwb. Obviously other manufacturers make identical vans so again, citroen and peugot variants also perfect.

The key is being able to sleep across the van and also the bed being fixed. Obviously being able to stand is a must.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1034 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 12:02:21 pm
Sleeping across the van seems like sh*t beta to me. I'm far from the tallest person but having a bed that was compromised (my Ford Econoline thing) was really annoying. Two mates recently fitted their bed across their van and after the first weekend of use changed it.

Apart from the need to sterilise the van from your 'expeditions' I think I'm going to start following you around buying your vehicles the amount you change!

Quick background. Intended use: daily commute (10 miles / 25 minutes each way), regular weekend climbing trips and a couple of fortnight trips to Europe each year for me and my girlfriend.
My priorities: economy / low emissions (the environment innit), the ability to leave it idling in a car park for 45 minutes without being advised of dickish behaviour (that one isn't serious).

Valuing economy has pushed me towards a caddy maxi or similar. So the crux of it is, will regularly sleeping in such a van be a pain in the ass? Will I regret not getting something the next size up (like a Peugeot expert or Nissan nv200 for example)? Obviously getting something larger will compromise the economy but am I trying to go too far in the direction of sacrificing the comfort of larger vans?

My second question is about how much to spend. Given that electric vans currently do not have adequate range, what is the risk of this changing in the next five years and diesel becoming obsolete to the point that anything I buy today will depreciate in value much faster than expected? Obviously I don't want to spend loads on something that has completely lost its value in five years time.

I've not owned anything bigger than a T4 (in Europe) with a pop top but I think  something of that size would suit what you've mentioned best. I found my Caddy (not a maxi) compromised in many ways. It's fine until it rains (where are you going to cook?) and then there's just no space with two people. For me they're car camping where you sleep in the car.

I haven't looked so perhaps someone can help here, is there any evidence that a new electric vehicle has less environmental impact (cradle to grave) than buying a second-hand (already exists) vehicle and running it to the end of its life (late-adopted adult to grave)?

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#1035 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 01:58:55 pm
Thanks for your replies guys.

Adam: although I can see that being able to stand up would be fairly essential if you're loving on the been for a season, this isn't what I'm going to be using mine for and so the extra size rules this out for me.

Paul: re cooking, one caddy maxi I've seen had a bench seat across the width (folds out into a bed) and a table for cooking which folds down in front of this bench. To me this looks like enough room for cooking, but as you've been dissatisfied BV with a caddy (not maxi), does that sound like it weeks work to you? Of course, do say so if you think I'm fooling myself about this

Stuart: what's your experience of space to cook or hang out if it's wet? Nice and cosy or intolerably claustrophobic?

sdm

• forum abuser
#1036 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 02:47:22 pm
Sleeping across the van seems like sh*t beta to me. I'm far from the tallest person but having a bed that was compromised (my Ford Econoline thing) was really annoying. Two mates recently fitted their bed across their van and after the first weekend of use changed it.

It would be shit beta for the average height person in any van except the Ducato and other Sevels. They can fit a full length double bed sideways without having to compromise insulation. None of the other vans are wide enough to do this.

Stuart Anderson

• regular
#1037 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 02:59:30 pm
Thanks for your replies guys.

Stuart: what's your experience of space to cook or hang out if it's wet? Nice and cosy or intolerably claustrophobic?

Going to try the impossible. Describe a 3d layout...

Barn doors looking through to the driver area:

2+1 split rear passenger seats that folds flat or can be put forward or taken out completely. I have on occasion taken out the single rear.

Left hand side (about 80cm wide) self built wooden bench which is flush height wise to the folded seats.

Blank middle section approx. 50cm wide, allows access to stacker boxes under the bench.

Right side - work van shelves (ply) bought off ebay. This has had a hinged flap which acts as a table/cooking platform. The shelves hold all sorts - food, kit.

I spend about 150 nights a year in it up to a week at a time. I have a tarp which goes over the barn door (takes 30 seconds to put up), and a larger tarp and poles if I'm static, which goes on the side.

I should have just uploaded a picture.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#1038 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 03:07:01 pm
We’ve got a berlingo with a boot jump. Bennett’s description of car camping has some truth to it, but is too pessimistic for a small van with a good setup.

The table and chairs setup allows you to cook simple meals indoors if it’s foul, or in low wind you can cook under the tailgate in the worst of weather.

It’s comfy enough to fester in for a day or two in bad weather, but there isn’t much space and getting stuff in and out of storage is an operation.

For us, and for regular weekend use and a couple of weeks abroad each year, it’s perfect. You’re welcome to have a gander if you like.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1039 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 05:46:04 pm
We’ve got a berlingo with a boot jump. Bennett’s description of car camping has some truth to it, but is too pessimistic for a small van with a good setup.

The table and chairs setup allows you to cook simple meals indoors if it’s foul, or in low wind you can cook under the tailgate in the worst of weather.

Pessimistic? I've never been called that before  :tumble: In all honesty I'd imagine Reeve would be far more positive about the compromises involved.

We lived in my Caddy for an awesome month+ in Pembroke and the main driver for us downsizing initially was commuting (Sheffield to Leeds daily) with a pop-top T4 complete with a kitchen which seemed ridiculous. However, I found that the Caddy wasn't better to drive than my 2.5TDI T4 and with less glass in it, was more of a pain to manoeuvre/drive in general. I didn't notice any massive saving in fuel economy either (1.9TDI). Costs of T4/5/6s seem complete madness to me these days (#VanLife?) which could obviously be a limiting factor.

We could/did cook underneath the tailgate etc. but as Stu mentioned, in general you'll find yourself moving stuff around to get to other things (especially if you take a pad for any reason). Even with a welded platform bed, there wasn't much headroom (it's a balance between storage/foam/headroom) and ours didn't have any way of spinning the passenger seat so this was somewhat wasted space. Even a T4 sized vehicle feels fairly cramped if the weather is sh*te.

I recently had a Pug Rifter on holiday (a cycling holiday of all things) and it really impressed me given it fit three adults, all our luggage, 3 bikes (both wheels on all) and a weeks worth of food shopping. It also drove really well.

If you want to message me on FB or send me a WhatsApp message I can quickly forward you some photos of the Caddy as I did the same recently for someone else. I was really proud of the level of finish on the conversion TBH.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#1040 Re: Camper Van knowledge
December 06, 2019, 07:16:17 pm
Going to try the impossible. Describe a 3d layout...
I should have just uploaded a picture.

Nice one, cheers Stuart. Good describing!

Pessimistic? I've never been called that before  :tumble: In all honesty I'd imagine Reeve would be far more positive about the compromises involved.
Beat me to it!  ;)  Positive re-frame: it's because you've got very high standards Paul

We could/did cook underneath the tailgate etc. but as Stu mentioned, in general you'll find yourself moving stuff around to get to other things (especially if you take a pad for any reason). Even with a welded platform bed, there wasn't much headroom (it's a balance between storage/foam/headroom) and ours didn't have any way of spinning the passenger seat so this was somewhat wasted space. Even a T4 sized vehicle feels fairly cramped if the weather is sh*te.
This doesn't bother me at all, but I'm quite organised. Marie, who could lose herself in an empty room - is far more concerned about organising the storage and always having to be rearranging things to find something.

For us, and for regular weekend use and a couple of weeks abroad each year, it’s perfect. You’re welcome to have a gander if you like.

Thanks Stu. I might take you up on this.

petejh

• forum hero
#1041 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 13, 2020, 01:28:58 pm
Random question: does anyone here know where I might be able to find a single front passenger seat for a Peugeot Expert 2017. It's to replace the bench seat with a single seat on a swivel plate. Having trouble finding anything from breakers - plenty of replacement bench seats but no singles. Wondering if a single seat from one of the Expert variants would fit - Traveller / Spacetourer etc..?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1042 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 14, 2020, 09:17:35 am
eBay?

petejh

• forum hero
#1043 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 14, 2020, 05:47:40 pm
There are a couple of single passenger seats from Citroen Spacetourers or Peugeot Travellers on ebay, but the compatibility chart thing says they aren't compatible with an Expert van. Which seems strange given they're the same base vehicle. Perhaps different fixing points..

tomtom

• forum hero
#1044 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 14, 2020, 06:14:19 pm
One that in the good old days you could go to a big scrapper with a tape measure and check for yourself... :(

Must be something on a forum somewhere about this...

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#1045 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 14, 2020, 07:37:47 pm
Could give http://www.findapart.co.uk/ a try?

Duma

• forum hero
#1046 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 24, 2020, 12:52:20 pm
Looking for some legal advice re speed limits...

Got a Notice of intended prosecution the other day - doing 69 on a dual carrigeway.

The van (MWB sprinter) has had its registration amended so the body type on the V5c is now Motor Caravan.
As such I believe it should be subject to the same speed limits as cars - (Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)) (https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits)
However the police are saying that speed limits are from the "vehicle category" - on the V5c, which is N1. This is basically unchangable and set when first registered. (Cars and Motorhomes converted from new are M1)

Literally everything I can find from online forums etc says this is wrong, and its the body type that should count - there's a several instances of these getting dropped when challenged, however the police are holding their line with me...
Does anyone have any official/legal knowledge on this? I really don't want to cave in if they're wrong, but...

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#1047 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 24, 2020, 01:19:13 pm
Absolutely everything ive read, and from everyone i know that has campervans, and has changed them on logbook, understand it to be down to what its classed as on logbook. So campervan class is 70mph.

Duma

• forum hero
#1048 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 24, 2020, 01:29:53 pm
Absolutely everything ive read, and from everyone i know that has campervans, and has changed them on logbook, understand it to be down to what its classed as on logbook. So campervan class is 70mph.

But there is no "campervan class"

There's "Body Type" (for mine this has been changed to "motor caravan")

There's "Taxation Class" (this says "light goods vehicle")

and There's "Vehicle Category" (which is N1)

The police are saying its the "Vehicle Category" that counts. (but this is set at first registration and can't be changed I believe)
This would seem to be in contradiction to this, which I found on the Caravan club site:

In the UK, according to The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, motor caravans are subject to the same speed limits as passenger cars unless they exceed 3050kg unladen weight.

The Act also states that “motor caravan” has the same meaning as in Regulation 2(1) of the Motor Vehicles (Type Approval) (Great Britain) Regulations 1979.

In this Regulation it states: ' “motor caravan” means a motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation for its users'

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#1049 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 24, 2020, 01:37:44 pm

But there is no "campervan class"

Sorry rushed my reply, yes motorhome is the class, or at least what i understand to be what counts. I am with you on this you dont need to convince me....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal