UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412262 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#800 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 26, 2013, 07:47:58 pm
Looks awesome, good job!

I didn't do it myself, paid someone! Was easier and quicker. I did the speaker pics though.  :-[

I can believe you paid someone to do the carpet but were happy to cut holes in your van for windows  :o. That was impressive.

Just don't have much free time at the moment! And i need it done. Wasnt a case of not being able to carpet it. Time is precious!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#801 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 26, 2013, 10:55:55 pm
Does anyone have any experience of buying a van in Europe for use over there? Im particular, does anyone have any input on advantages or disadvantages of buying a van on the continent vs. back in Britain?

We are not in Europe at the moment, but trying to plan for roughly a year or so living in spain followed by a likely other period of living in france for 6 months or so. There could end up being more of an even split in terms of where we are, but this is the vague idea for now. 

Are there issues with buying a van in Spain and then using it in France for long periods? Would it perhaps be better to buy in the U.K. And then take it out there so that we can at least use it back home afterwards if needed? We're leaning towards a small diesel (caddy/berlingo plus renault and peugeot equivalents) for long weekends/short trips as opposed to a full living conversion.

I think fultonius has just bought one in holland for prolonged use in France so may have some knowledge

biscuit

• menacing presence
#802 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 26, 2013, 11:56:30 pm
I live in SPain and can tell you that second hand cars, but camper vans in particular, are very expensive compared to UK prices. I have a friend here who buys vans ( normally from Germany or Holland ) and then imports them to spain ( lots of paperwork, stringent MOT and taxes ) and still manages to sell them cheaper than a comparable van from Spain.

You may have an issue with driving a van for longer than a year. If ( and it's quite a big if in my experience ) you get stopped and your van is not MOT'd in it's country of registration you will get a whopper of a fine. They tend to turn a blind eye to cars on foreign plates as long as they are still MOT'd. My experience is limited to Southern Spain though.

I am considering getting a new van and am actually thinking of buying from UK and just driving it back home once a year to get it MOT'd ( via various climbing spots in Northern Spain and France of course ).

jmews

• regular
#803 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 27, 2013, 05:12:19 pm
I live in SPain and can tell you that second hand cars, but camper vans in particular, are very expensive compared to UK prices. I have a friend here who buys vans ( normally from Germany or Holland ) and then imports them to spain ( lots of paperwork, stringent MOT and taxes ) and still manages to sell them cheaper than a comparable van from Spain.

You may have an issue with driving a van for longer than a year. If ( and it's quite a big if in my experience ) you get stopped and your van is not MOT'd in it's country of registration you will get a whopper of a fine. They tend to turn a blind eye to cars on foreign plates as long as they are still MOT'd. My experience is limited to Southern Spain though.

I am considering getting a new van and am actually thinking of buying from UK and just driving it back home once a year to get it MOT'd ( via various climbing spots in Northern Spain and France of course ).

Thanks! That answers a lot of our questions!

It sounds like we might end up doing that then. I'm pretty out of touch with used car prices in eu/uk, and because used cars cost insane amounts of money where i live, i actually didn't realise that the prices I had seen for Spain were expensive! We are probably going to be in southern Spain, too.

The idea of a forced annual road trip to England actually sounds quite inviting! Are you aware of any other restrictions beyond the home country MOT? Does insurance also have to be I the country of registration, or can you insure in the country of use with a foreign reg.?

chummer

• forum abuser
#804 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2013, 05:41:24 pm
I've been looking at double hob stoves for my van and can't decide whether to get double hob with or without a grill. The idea of cheese on toast is all too tempting although I am aware of how bad these type of grills can be. Camping gaz chef of Hi gear elite? Or no grill at all?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-reviews/elite-double-burner-and-grill-p152181

http://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-23886-camping-chef174.aspx

I'll be using these with a regulator and big bottle.

Basically, please recommend me a cooker. :please:

gme

• forum hero
#805 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2013, 06:12:41 pm
I have a grill in my van(soon to be for sale) as Mrs GME really wanted it. Might as well be a cupboard as we never use it. Plus lots of sh** to rattle around in there.

As an aside just picked up my new (to me) Cali today so will be putting my 8 yr old Bilbo up for sale in the next few weeks once i have given her a good clean. Will post details on here first before the normal press.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#806 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 21, 2013, 07:38:14 pm
Does anyone have any experience of buying a van in Europe for use over there? In particular, does anyone have any input on advantages or disadvantages of buying a van on the continent vs. back in Britain?

Yeah, we bought a VW T4 from the Netherlands. (for a few reasons: price - generally cheaper than the UK for similar vans), colours - seems like less white vans!, Left-Hand Drive, easier to insure for long periods in europe (my lass is Dutch, so it's her insurance).
€350
We got a 1998 2.5tdi window van (i.e. windows on all rear panels and lifting tailgate) with ~ 140,000  miles which had been tuned to 140bhp for €3500.

Not sure about insurance if you're not living in the country of purchase.

The downsides of buying abroad are: :Language problems - it's difficult to catch the subtle nuances of sellers (i.e. trustworthyness etc.). Not knowing how the system works.Having to go to that country for MOT/APK or re-regestering in another country.

Any questions let me know.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#807 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 01, 2013, 02:24:48 pm
I've been looking at double hob stoves for my van and can't decide whether to get double hob with or without a grill. The idea of cheese on toast is all too tempting although I am aware of how bad these type of grills can be. Camping gaz chef of Hi gear elite? Or no grill at all?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-reviews/elite-double-burner-and-grill-p152181

http://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-23886-camping-chef174.aspx

I'll be using these with a regulator and big bottle.

Basically, please recommend me a cooker. :please:

I was hoping someone would be able to offer a better opinion on this, but seeings not; I would go for the campinggaz one for reliability over the go outdoors one; I expect it's a bit more? And the toasters are always fickle buggers to use properly; need to watch it like a hawk.

Any new van pron pics gme?

gme

• forum hero
#808 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 01, 2013, 02:41:09 pm
Chris

Its Rich Kirby's old van. 3 year old silver 180 California. All pretty standard so nothing really exciting to post. Getting the full leather treatment soon so will post pics once that's done. A little bit of bling but its the one thing i wish i had done with my old van as kids, food, drink, surf wax and dogs do not go well with material upholstery. It has seat covers but they are a bit ugly and it seems a shame to spoil the look of something you have just spent a load of money on.

Changing vans mainly for the roof space in the Calis, my kids are bigger now so the side hinged roof in the Bilbo didn't really give them enough space. that and i fancied a new one. A quick tip to anyone is never ever go to a VW garage for a "look" at the new vans.

Hopefully sort out the old one in the next few weeks and post it up on here, needs a good clean and a few small cosmetic bits fixing (cooker handles, freezer door) before i sell it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#809 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 01, 2013, 03:03:38 pm
Sounds good, although not a scoob who Rich Kirby is (unless he has an alias on here). Be nice to see finished product.

We got a Reimo roof on ours (with hinge at the back), so should be good for the kids for quite a few years; I am only just too tall for it, but OK with a bit of board I use to cover over the hole in the roof.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#810 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 10, 2013, 10:50:03 am

Apart from the wood stove in a wooden house...  :-\

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#811 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 23, 2013, 11:22:08 pm
The van is coming along - finished the sofa/bed, kitchen unit (just the door and a face panel to do - a friend of my dad is doing the worktop). Hoping the have it usable by a week tomorrow as that's when the other half arrives and we drive back to Amsterdam  :o

Bed pulled out:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:31:16 pm by Fultonius »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#812 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 24, 2013, 09:25:42 am
I like that bed design, hope it's sturdy enough for "action".

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#813 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 24, 2013, 09:44:31 am
What, like takin it to 'nam?  :shrug:

We might have to restrict "action" to the fixed side of the bed, but it's fairly sturdy. I'm right looking forward to our first trip...  :alky:  :lets_do_it_wild:

Any thoughts on somewhere to stay on the way to Dover, we'll be leaving Perth around 5pm?  We're thinking of doing a short hop down to the lake district, then from there down to Dover the next day. We have a ferry booked at 4pm.

tomtom

• forum hero
#814 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 24, 2013, 09:56:10 am
I like that bed design, hope it's sturdy enough for "action".

Chris likes a few more power points and shackles for his 'toys'.... ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#815 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 24, 2013, 10:50:40 am

Any thoughts on somewhere to stay on the way to Dover, we'll be leaving Perth around 5pm?  We're thinking of doing a short hop down to the lake district, then from there down to Dover the next day. We have a ferry booked at 4pm.

What route you taking? I know an ace spot for a wild camp just south of Berwick?

Otherwise have a look here http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/

We've parked up at lakeside parking spots in the Lakes on an evening but need to move early as there has been some NT person pitch up to collect parking payments at about 7 am.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#816 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 24, 2013, 11:19:11 am
Not sure sure what route we're taking to be honest, could go Berwick, don't really mind. How much would they charge for parking?

The sex swing will be in phase 2 of the build  :dance1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#817 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 24, 2013, 11:34:07 am
He didn't charge, just moaned that "you shouldn't be camping here".

Paul B

• forum hero
#818 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 09, 2013, 10:30:41 pm
I've seen quite a lot of these:

http://www.autohomeus.com/images/425_Montana-9-06-1.jpg

about in the US. Looking online they seem a bit $$$ but look like they'd be good for Euro-tripping (for people that'd really love a van but don't want to live with it the other 11 months of the year). Anyone know if there's a decathlon-priced alternative?

Teamed with a reasonable sized estate car there'd be plenty of room for all of the cr*p.

I've also been pretty impressed with some of the pickup, climber conversions. If anyone else is heading to the US I'd suggest a pickup and shell for the rear would be better and more versatile than a van of any sorts.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#819 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 10, 2013, 12:08:51 pm
I've seen a german guy at Glen Brittle at least twice with one of those roof-rack tents. It looked a bit shit to me, I think he just loved his discovery and was determined to sleep in it somehow. A tent would be nicer a lot of the time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#820 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 10, 2013, 01:21:32 pm
I thought they had them for use in places where there was a risk of gettin' bit by an ol' diamondback. Not much risk of that here. I think camping next to a car to get some shelter from the wind would be more useful here.

I quite like those "compartment" camper box things that you can load on the back of a pickup and bolt in place, or leave at home when not needed and just use the pickup.

JackAus

• junky
#821 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 10, 2013, 02:06:33 pm
Roof tents are very popular over here...

About $1500.

galpinos

• forum hero
#822 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 10, 2013, 03:42:41 pm
Those of you who've used cab beds for your little'uns.....

What do they sleep in? I think my daughter is going to be too big for a moses basket soon but seems too small for a ready bed style thing. Any ideas?

erm, sam

• forum hero
#823 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 10, 2013, 06:47:12 pm
Ru slept in a cardboard box at the end of the bed in ours for a little while (there was a little room on the floor). And by that I mean my daughter, not the Peak Bouldering Pixie.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#824 Re: Camper Van knowledge
June 10, 2013, 08:22:42 pm
Ru slept in a cardboard box at the end of the bed in ours for a little while (there was a little room on the floor).

Thats what the Finns do.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal