UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412421 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#725 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 05:00:16 pm
We went t4 because it was all we could afford. I'm not an expert but I've also heard loads of stuff about the t4 engine being more reliable and doing more miles etc. Apparently modern diesel engines are too complex to rack up the number of miles that we old ones did. Could all be hearsay for all I know.

While the T4 engine is a lot more basic as with most things if it is looked after right and serviced regularly then I suspect that most of the issues are moot between the two - my T5 has got something like 173000 on it now and as long as it is looked after then I see no problem with it doing that again.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#726 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 06, 2012, 03:51:24 pm
Ok, so I'm thinking of getting a camper again!

It's probably mainly going to be used in Europe so I'm actually considering getting a left hand drive version. Also, the price of unmodified T4s is actually pretty decent in the Netherlands (where my lass lives) so we're thinking of looking for one out there.

A few questions:

1. Is it easy enough to convert a dual-cab?  Can the partition be ripped out fairly easily?
2. What is the first thing to "go" on old T4s?  A lot of them are fairly high mileage (which doesn't scare me too much) but is it the engines, or chassis, or electrics? I don't mind the upkeep of an older van, unless it seems like it's going to become ludicrously expensive...

Is there anything extra to consider if buying from overseas?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#727 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 06, 2012, 04:10:19 pm
Is there anything extra to consider if buying from overseas?

Check for hidden compartments full of class As!

Bulkheads are generally easily removed. And check out taxation, insurance etc if you are considering using in UK for extended beriods.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#728 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 07, 2012, 07:46:03 am
I think that the bulkhead requires drilling out of spot welds - depends on how mechanical you are as to whether this is an issue or not. There is also the possibility of the air bag going off whilst doing this if it is not disconnected but this is all from memory.

From what I have seen it is the rear arches that are the weak point on the T4 - they attract the tin worm rather badly.

Having said all that I would ask on the T4 forum - you are more likely to get answers that actually have a basis in experience rather than what I remember reading of other peoples disasters posts on said forum.  ;)

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#729 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 12:23:59 pm
Anyone experienced getting the bulkhead out of a T5?

Just picked up my bus yesterday and pretty sure that I'll need to angle grind out the bulkhead fixing plate (bulkhead just screws out) but don't wanna wreck the thing I've just paid more money than anything other than my house for!

What are people's thoughts on remapping too? Spoke to the guy that's doing my roof and he told me all kinds of horror stories of folk that did it wrong with numpties....

So psyched to get this thing up and running now - doubt I'll be climbing much the next few weeks :-\

:D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#730 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 12:33:41 pm
What engine has it got?

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#731 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 01:55:05 pm
1.9 but it's the 84bhp version...

Seems to pull ok for the minute but dunno how it will once it's loaded, would like to get the extra MPG more than anything else....

:D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#732 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 01:57:35 pm
Depends how you find driving - if it's a but sluggish and you take it to a reputable person, the it should be fine. Ours is the 108(ish?) BHP and I've never really felt the need to get anything done - does 85ish without breathing hard (not that i would ever consider travelling at such speeds).

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#733 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 02:06:16 pm
What are people's thoughts on remapping too? Spoke to the guy that's doing my roof and he told me all kinds of horror stories of folk that did it wrong with numpties....

Pendle Performance was the name I was trying to think of in the pub last night - the only people I would trust to do a remap on pROJECT mAYHEM if I ever find the funds to get it done. 

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#734 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 02:08:32 pm
I drove it back from Leeds yesterday and had to do a double take an slow up when I was cruising at nearly 90... (honest officer I had no idea  :-[)

Suppose the best thing to do is keep a bit of budget in reserve and use it if necessary...

Already booked it in for fitting of Windows, M1 tested R&R bed and Austop roof (not as good as Reimo I know but a good price and they seem like nice guys).... Got all the carpet, panels and insulation, just need to buy the floor ply and vinyl and get it all fitted over the next 2 weeks before we take our first trip in it....  :o

andy_e

• forum hero
#735 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 02:10:10 pm
Already booked it in for fitting of Windows

Slack---line will be disappointed.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#736 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 08, 2012, 02:24:42 pm
Just seen the solution to all my seating problems

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/t5-double-seat-swivel.html

Been rracking my brains for months how to do 5 people in a van with a 3/4 rock and roller....

YYFY!!!!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#737 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 12, 2012, 09:06:48 pm
Folks,

I need some advice!

I had a look at this van today:
T4 for £3400

We're quite keen on having a left-hand drive as we'll be spending most of our time on the continent and, being a Dutch registered car the insurance looks cheaper.

It's got no rust (checked the wheel arches etc.) and the engine runs fine.

Obviously it's "sold as seen" since it's a private sale. Just trying to decide if it's a good deal for the age mileage.

It's got A/C, and a lifting tailgate which are both bonuses!

Any thoughts?

Paul B

• forum hero
#738 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 03:27:27 pm
have you bought it?

Does anyone on here run a Bongo? I know they're far from a T4/5 but I can see them being reasonably easy to find and then move on swiftly after a trip. My main concern (other than the rarity of manuals and my lack of knowledge surrounding the mazdas in general) is what appears to be a rather small amount of storage for what would ultimately be a large amount of gear (no pad)?

I reckon if our gear hadn't been out of sight in the t4, we'd have had a fair few more attempted break-ins than we suffered!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#739 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 03:48:49 pm
Doesn't FBSF have (had) one?

I think key issue is lack of economy due to them mostly being automatics and 4WD. We thought about one for a while, but dismissed it due to the above reasons and thought they might be a bit poky for my large frame. Obviously that may not be an issue for everyone though.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#740 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 03:55:52 pm
have you bought it?

Nah, got cold feet as the Lass thought the sellers were a bit shifty. (Lost in translation)

Been offered a Hiace for £1500 from people I know, decent runner. Considering it as a testing ground for my home build skills and enthusiasm before taking the plunge with something better in future...

Paul B

• forum hero
#741 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 03:57:37 pm
This wouldn't be a long term purchase so the fuel economy isn't too much of a concern. Ideally I'd look for a 2wd manual whilst also searching for some rocking horse shit.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#742 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 04:02:55 pm
Galpinos is a bongoer. I'm sure he will be along shortly to ladle love all over the subject.

andy_e

• forum hero
#743 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 04:06:07 pm
Uptowngirl is also a Bongoman. But he never frequents these places any more.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#744 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 04:17:23 pm
Been offered a Hiace for £1500 from people I know, decent runner.

Dogden has one and has had very little hassle with it, apart from it being like a sled in snow(its a RWD), but I think snow tyres helped a lot. Drop him a line if you want opinions.

galpinos

• forum hero
#745 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 04:18:30 pm
Galpinos is a bongoer. I'm sure he will be along shortly to ladle love all over the subject.

As if by magic........

My Bongo is no T5 California but:

We've got a 4WD (handy in Scottish winters, your natural habitat) Auto with a full conversion. We (the wife and I) really like it. Dream to drive, massive roof space when up (can be tricky in high winds) and the full conversion makes life really easy. You're right that there's not masses of storage. Depending on the converter, this varies quite dramatically and I've been looking into re-arranging the inside of ours to maximise it. We generally don't camp/park in scally high crime areas though so it's not been an issue. Fuel economy is poor but we don't do enough miles for that to really hit us. Everything is electric, roof, blinds, etc which is really cool until it goes wrong. It goes mean I can drive along making the blinds go up and down on the back winds though, swings and roundabouts. They are slightly narrower than a T4 so as you're a bit of a porker, this may be an issue. My svelte 14st slide in easily. Thankfully the missus is a more sensible size.

Parts have been really easy to get hold of and servicing is pretty cheap. I've no idea your side of the peak but there's a man in Bury who I take it to who's mint.

The final word is that my T4 owning mate prefers my Bongo, but can't get his windsurf kit in. My T5 owning mate prefers his wagon.

Paul B

• forum hero
#746 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 04:40:11 pm
Thanks, its been the off the shelf variety conversions I've seen thus far which mainly consist of a unit that covers all your cooking needs but nothing else. I can remember when we travelled our van started fairly empty and by the end we needed to move rubbish from front to back all the time (including various bottles of Scotch).

galpinos

• forum hero
#747 Re: Camper Van knowledge
August 15, 2012, 05:34:58 pm
We can generally store food and stuff in the cupboards but clothes are in a kit bag that goes in the roof when parked up but on the floor during transit. Not ideal if you're worried about getting broken into.

In the better conversions, the tall cupboard in the back corner is storage in the top half and gas bottle in the bottom. There should be storage under the sink and under the bed. The little long thin top cupboard can't fit much in but holds spices, tea, pasta rice etc.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#748 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 17, 2012, 01:59:29 pm
I have a VAN!   :dance1:

The lass and I picked up a scruffy T4 double-cab from the Netherlands on Saturday so let the DIY project begin :-)

It's a 1998 T4 2.5TDI, Dark Green - £2650 with 161000 mainly motorway miles. Mainly used a family transport so quite good interior condition!

Have any of you got any of the books/guides to converting a T4?  If so, do you want to lend/sell me one, or even just suggest which ones are best?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:23:11 pm by Fultonius »

Paul B

• forum hero
#749 Re: Camper Van knowledge
September 17, 2012, 02:10:56 pm
join the t4 forum and have a nose around. That seems like a darn good deal for a 2.d TDI, I haven't been able to find anything close to that in the UK, any problems insuring it?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal