UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412451 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#700 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 24, 2012, 01:43:35 pm
The door handle covers look good too. Make sure you attach them well though, we lost one and you can only buy them as a set!

Also worth getting these

http://www.vanstyle.co.uk/shop/side-wind-deflectors-front-transporter-caravelle-p-973.html

useful if you want to open the windows a bit to let some air in when you are kipping and it's pissing down outside.

Are you trying to bankrupt me Chris!  :'(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#701 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 24, 2012, 01:55:50 pm
Just spending money vicariously! :)

Duma

• forum hero
#702 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 27, 2012, 11:21:59 pm
Those deflectors are really worth it, keeps the rain out and makes it less obvious the window's open. Can't say the same about the bonnet bra, can someone explain the point of these?

north_country_boy

• junky
#703 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 27, 2012, 11:37:48 pm
Those deflectors are really worth it, keeps the rain out and makes it less obvious the window's open. Can't say the same about the bonnet bra, can someone explain the point of these?

I'd second that.

Wind deflectors = functional, money well spent
Bonnet bra, fake chrome trashy tat trims = perfect way to make you look like a drug dealer in Bradford/gypsy

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#704 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 28, 2012, 04:22:14 pm

Stops your bonnet from sagging ......

Paul B

• forum hero
#705 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 28, 2012, 04:24:49 pm
Can't say the same about the bonnet bra, can someone explain the point of these?

To prevent stone chips.

With regards to the 'pimping' of vans, at times I wished my Caddy looked a lot more like any other as it just screamed "rob me".

Willriseley

• player
  • idiot child
#706 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 28, 2012, 09:25:13 pm
Currently turning my tranny into  mobile apartment for me and the mrs to live in for a few months while climbing, trying to find lights which are cheap/bright and small.

I have found these but anyone have ideas? Need to be LED and kinda bright

http://www.sourcingmap.com/12v-light-leds-car-roof-ceiling-interior-wired-lamp-white-p-32800.html

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#707 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 29, 2012, 08:40:37 am
IKEA do some - Dioder I think they were called, but they are quite a white light, better with a 12v dimer switch. 

With LED lights in general then be careful with the voltages - when your engine is running then your batteries will be charging with a voltage of ~14v, which may well damage your LED lights.  You can fit a regulator in the circuit to limit the voltage to 12.

tomtom

• forum hero
#708 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 29, 2012, 09:25:24 am
IKEA do some - Dioder I think they were called, but they are quite a white light, better with a 12v dimer switch. 

Speaking of IKEA, I'm not 100% what a rock and roller bed is, but have seen them mentioned here a few times and I believe Ikea have somethign like this at the moment - I got one for MrsTT's spare room - as it takes an old futon mattress.. Its like the sofa shape of a futon, and with one pull the bottom kind of pulls out on wheels and it becomes a bed.. it was £60 odd...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#709 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 29, 2012, 09:39:09 am
Totally different thing tt. Rock and roller beds are way smaller that the sleeper couch type things you are talking about, and don't actually have any rollers in them at all.

tomtom

• forum hero
#710 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 29, 2012, 09:50:38 am
Totally different thing tt. Rock and roller beds are way smaller that the sleeper couch type things you are talking about, and don't actually have any rollers in them at all.

oops.. and back around :)

ben

• obsessive maniac
#711 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 29, 2012, 11:23:33 am
speaking of Ikea, completely unrelated to lights but their kitchen wall units are frequently used for DIY T5 conversions for side furniture. Apparently two of their units fit perfectly between the drivers seat and wheel arch..   plus you can then pick your door finishes!   don't think i'm gonna do this however as it requires clear floor space for the doors to swing open and invariably in a van that isn't the case!

Will - have a search on here  http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/ for led lighting suggestions..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#712 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 29, 2012, 11:47:35 am
Wehave some excellent stalk mounted LED units in our van, but not sure what make they are as they were put in as part of the conversion. Will see if there is any brand name on them.

horn

• regular
#713 Re: Camper Van knowledge
February 29, 2012, 01:02:57 pm
I've got a reel of this soon to go up in the van:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LTW02-Warm-White-5M-3528-SMD-Light-Strip-300leds-waterproof-DC-12V-Halloween-DI-/280743946621?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item415da4a97d#ht_5666wt_979

along with something like a bit like this for a directional light:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spotlight-Spot-Light-LED-SMD-Wall-Lamp-IP65-Outdoor-3W-/270785505620?pt=UK_Garden_Lighting&var=&hash=item84b82837e3#ht_2742wt_1102

Strip light is awesome, i hung it all around the edge of the roof and it gives a lovely warm even light. you can get loads of different colours, even a colour changing one if you want to transform into a rave bus! Spotlight is maybe too bright though!

Got to admit I hadn't thought of the voltage peak when the engine runs, although tbh I don't think I'd ever need to use the lights in the back while the engine is running.

philo

• forum hero
#714 Re: Camper Van knowledge
March 09, 2012, 11:21:13 pm
christ, all you need is a disco ball and you have a full on party!  8)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#715 Re: Camper Van knowledge
May 31, 2012, 06:00:28 pm

Van pimping continues.

New alloys today. I am getting rubbing when cornering and on full lock so might have to shave some off my arches or get smaller tyres. They came with alloys so thought id try them first.

Also had the engine remap to 138bhp.
I have sound proofed/insulated inside just need the windows fitting then i can carpet it.

;D

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#716 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 12:29:39 pm
This thread is great and having pretty much read the whole thing over the past few days I've got a much better idea of what's going on but I'm still not 100% sure of where to go with this camper business... So thought I'd see what the UKB oracle has to say....

Basically I've got a budget of about £10K and my requirements are van with decent mpg (will be the only vehicle and the missus mum's in Cornwall so needs to not be too thirsty),windows, pop roof to put the 2 kids in, rock and roll bed with seatbelts (preferably crash tested) and some storage and cooking space (not necessarily built in, could live with a couple of gas rings on a bolted in unit for instance)... A fridge would also be nice as would lights/ electrics but these could be foregone or added at a later date (if this is physically possible).

I've been racking my brains and have a shortlist of 4 vans each with pros and cons, please feel free to put me right if I'm wildly out on any of these.

Merc Vito: Pros: Good size, decent MPG. Cons: Rust buckets, reasonably expensive.

Mazda Bongo: Good size, cheaper to buy, already have pop roof, can get already converted one within budget, Jap Engine. Cons: Old, Automatic, Shit MPG (although LPG is an option - anyone got experience of this?), Mileage is debatable on many.

VW T4 (2000-2002?): Cheaper than a T5, decent MPG, good conversion community, can get fully converted within budget (possibly), hold their value (although these do seem to be a bit cheaper since the london emissions stuff's come into force - could be coincidence tho). Cons: Old(er), might not be able to visit London (might actually be a pro that;-).

VW T5 1.9 (2004-2006?): Decent MPG, good conversion community, hold their value, loads around so parts etc. in good supply. Cons: Expensive, every fucker has one (this is a sticking point with the missus), seem to continually swallow cash (subjective I know but most people I know have had to shell out for ECU upgrades/replacements, engine rebuilds, timing belts, waterpumps etc.).

There's also the Vivaro's and Transits but these have been vetoed by the missus as being too "van like"....

So I know from that where I want to go (T5 I think :-\) but not sure budget will allow it so wanted to get an idea on what the smart people here think of the shortlist  :smart:

Is it realistic to think that if I spend £4-6K on a panel van that I'll be able to get what I'm looking for within budget without ending up with a lemon or a half finished job?

Where do you all recomend starting the search once decided (I've been looking hard the last few week so have a good idea but any no go's would be appreciated). Already got a handle on insurance etc. but anything else that anyone thinks I need to think about would be appreciated....

Cheers guys.

:D

Paul B

• forum hero
#717 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 12:41:36 pm
I've been looking again recently with future plans in mind and I've been quite shocked by the price of T4s and 5s. They seem to have gone through the roof (especially if I was going to look for the 2.5 Tdi again, which was awesome).

Looking online (ebay) , I've seen companies offering full fit-outs for (or starting at) 5K ish. With that in mind, if you can buy a van for 4-6 then you should be within budget. Doing it yourself I'd say that'd certainly be the case (I found it was time that I underestimated on, even for the caddy),  it'd be the base van that would appear to be the limiting factor. I've seen people scrimp on this and invest a lot of work into something that has then become a money pit.

Although Bongos are laughed at a bit, they look like a reasonably good off the shelf options but I remember that they seemed a lot smaller inside than a t4.

I know you've said they're too van like but Vivaros\Traffics have companies that do really good conversions and you'd get the van and converison for your budget. They seemed like a popular choice amongst Spanish climbers that we met travelling. The inside space did seem a little low though?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#718 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 12:56:12 pm
Cons: Expensive, every fucker has one

At first we were against getting a transporter because everyone has one. But this turned out to mean that the insurance would be loads cheaper (a grand for us) which would add up quickly over the years. Making the initial outlay worth it in the long run. I'd recommend give Adrian Flux a call to see what they'd be able to offer you before you buy.

rock and roll bed with seatbelts (preferably crash tested)

We got a bed from JDS metaltech - they are crash tested - have seatbelts. Service was really good and the bed seems very good too. Apparently there is a place next door to them who do full conversions.

decent mpg

we can get 39mpg out of the t4.

You'll save loads doing most of the conversion yourself but I'd agree with Paul about the time thing. Everything takes way longer than expected but it's also way more satisfying.

Got ours through vantrader.co.uk

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#719 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 12:56:36 pm
Sold my good old van today.
A bit sad but it was due.
End of a 10 years adventure.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#720 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 01:02:05 pm
Hi Paul, thanks for the knowledge. I'm erring towards a semi-self conversion (i.e. getting the big stuff done by pros and doing the panelling etc. myself)

The space inside a bongo isn't really an issue (it'll be mainly short trips and summers in France so an awning should give us teh extra spece we'd need), actually as it'd be parked on the street the size is probably a plus.. The MPG is though..

I've got a mate with a Vivaro and the missus just aint having em unfortunately (even though he swears his is better to drive than a T5).

Have you got a link for the fitters just for refrence...

Cheers,

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#721 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 01:09:16 pm
We got a bed from JDS metaltech - they are crash tested - have seatbelts. Service was really good and the bed seems very good too. Apparently there is a place next door to them who do full conversions.

Are these the £620 3/4 ones - seem well reasonable if so...

What's the year and mileage on you T4? Do you reckon it's worth going down this route rather than the T5?

I actually saw somewhere that the T5 engine will do around 450K while the T4 will do summat in the region of 600K... Is this bollocks?

So many questions......

Paul B

• forum hero
#723 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 01:29:40 pm
I used JDS metaltech to weld up a frame to go inside the Caddy. Good blokes.

Their beds are bit different to the standard design and (if I remember correctly), don't have the rear facing lip which they were suggesting gave more interior space when the bed was a bench. For me that isn't a plus as I used that bit of storage to cram full of crap when we were living in ours for 6 months (I could just fit a Moon Saturn across the back).

As pete said; the unit nearby does full conversions and his work was really really smart (I stuck my nose in whilst they were welding my frame) but I've got no idea on prices. Similarily, for foam the guy JDS use was very helpful and cheap.

This was the Vivaro/Traffic conversion listing I was on about:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Vivaro-VW-Transporter-Camper-Conversions-/330752920335?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item4d02690b0f

The MPG concerns me with Bongos too, our T4 (2.5 Tdi Ex AA) returned ridiculously good MPG, far outperforming our 1.9 Tdi Caddy that we got soon after (although North Contry Boy seems to be able to get better MPG than I ever could). With those in mind, and a current vehicle that is averaging 64 MPG, I can see filling up being painful.

Yes, that looks a little suspect.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#724 Re: Camper Van knowledge
July 01, 2012, 01:36:01 pm
Are these the £620 3/4 ones - seem well reasonable if so...

That's the ones. We didn't get the mattress. Just bought some foam from a shop on abbeydale road ~£50, JDS gave us the dimensions we'd need (the blokes there are very friendly and helpful), and we made some covers ourselves.

The bed is very solid, they fit it for free and properly bolt right through the floor through large metal plates (which is how the rear seats we removed were fitted so assuming that's the best/safest way.

What's the year and mileage on you T4? Do you reckon it's worth going down this route rather than the T5?

I actually saw somewhere that the T5 engine will do around 450K while the T4 will do summat in the region of 600K... Is this bollocks?

We went t4 because it was all we could afford. I'm not an expert but I've also heard loads of stuff about the t4 engine being more reliable and doing more miles etc. Apparently modern diesel engines are too complex to rack up the number of miles that we old ones did. Could all be hearsay for all I know.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal