UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 413271 times)

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#525 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 12:09:25 am
I was thinking of just borrowing a couple of these if you want to save a few weeks work Steve?

;)

nice work Rich, they'll do for plan B.. or just for nights out in Bellinzona..

if you could 'borrow' one of these via one of your contacts at The Grapes, that'd be stellar..

and if you manage that, then a couple of these could be handy...

galpinos

• forum hero
#526 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 08:58:46 am
There's a black box underneath the drivers seat in mine at the mo which I guess looks identical to the one under the passenger seat? some old AA stuff I guess..

The box in your van may ne different but VW put slide out boxes under the seats of Polos for people to keep valubles in. Unfortunately, career thieves knew they were there too. A friend had her Polo broken into. When she reported it to the police, it turned out the thieves had just gone down each road only breaking into VWs. Apparently that vintage of Polo and Golf were very easy to break into.

The safe hidden in the seat seems a better bet.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#527 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 09:47:38 am
be really good to know the dimensions though..

Will have a look over weekend.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#528 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 10:31:05 am
I've just finished converting a T5 so thought I'd add some things that may be of use.

Swivel seats base with a safe, I got one of these from CMC: http://www.c-m-c.org.uk/images/accessories/swivel1.jpg  It seemed about the cheapest around, being the same price as just a swivel plate alone, plus you got a base (over 100quid on their own) and a safe too.  We then added a drivers seat with the seat belt clip swapped over - these were a fair whack cheaper than the drivers ones on eBay.  I nearly managed a swap for my double, but then found out it was a T4 singe not a T5 so you can get luck if your prepared to wait...

I didn't bother with a moisture barrier between the insulation and the ply.  My logic for this was that your never going to 100% seal it anyway and if you look on a T5 in the cavity near the rear lights then there are some vents that let air out the back.  I reasoned that air flow was more important and would remove moisture.

As said, stay away from lambs wool as it holds damp.  The recycled plastic stuff is ace, and you can put some foil backed bubble wrap on the ply/van walls, ceiling boards and floor too.  Carrymat on the roof worked well also.  Celotex/Kingspan is the other obvious choice.

I got all carpet stuff from here: http://www.megavanmats.com/

Before fixing the walls/ply do all the wiring you can think of - if you run them all though conduit and leave string in them too then you can always pull though an extra cable if needed later on.  Fuse each cable as soon as poss after the battery and fuse each curcit too.  If there is a battery / power source at either end then put a fuse at each end.  Make sure your cable is chunky enough to avoid voltage drop - since P=I^2R then the power loss in the wires is proportional to the resistance, fatter cable means lower resistance.  This isn't a great concern for things like LED lights, but for fridges / Inverters then it def is.  If faced with a choice of a long cable run of either 240v/12v for something like a charger / inverter then do the long run in 3 core 240v for the same reasons.

Raw Components was a good source of things electrical - the guy is helpful if you call him too: http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/

I used some Dioder lights from IKEA in the ceiling, they are pretty good being very low profile.  They are fairly bright so I added a dimmer switch too.  I also fitted a 12v regulator prior to the dimmer since when charging the leisure battery will be at 14.6v (ish) and would probably damage these.  http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-12-VOLT-REGULATOR.htm

I've just finished fitting a Propex.  It's a pretty straight forward task needing 2 holes in the van floor for the exhaust inlet/outlet pipes.  In the area I wanted to put it then I couldn't find sufficient space so I have raised the heater and dropped the tubes out that way.  It also means you don't have to be anywhere near as precise with the hole drilling.  The raiing was done using 8 corner braces, 2 joined together with a bolt to make a C shaped bracket, one end in the floor the other in the normal fixing point of the heater.

When doing your gas work remember to fit a couple of sensibly placed drop out vents: http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/Equipment/Gas/gas.htm Since butane/propane is heavier than air it will just fall through these instead of....

I've just reclassified it as a motor caravan too - if you meet the criteria its worth doing as it means you can drive at car speeds instead of the 50/60 on single/dual carriageway A roads.  Some modern cameras apparently do a number plate lookup to check too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:40:33 am by ChrisC »

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#529 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 10:38:22 am
I know the insurance question has come up a few times, but has anyone come across a company that will insure a Camper for 12 months in Europe.

I'm currently with Adrian Flux but I don't think they do 365 days, only 90days at a time and then you have to return and go abroad again - whioch will be a pain if we're in spain say...

eVan.com do 12 months European cover, but won't cover my camper only the 'van' part of it so not alot of use.

Bonjoy/PaulB - you've done a long Europe trip in a van?  How did you guys do it?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#530 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 12:29:51 pm
Second the recommendation for the carpet from Megavanmats - it is what I used on my van and it is quality stuff which will produce a very good result and as long as you take your time with it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#531 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 02:18:14 pm
Bonjoy/PaulB - you've done a long Europe trip in a van?  How did you guys do it?

Brentacre, then negotiate an additional cost per month for European cover. It wasn't cheap but I am an insurance liability.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#532 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 02:26:42 pm
Cheers again guys loads of good info there.. my head is starting to spin!

Turns out black box under the drivers seat is actually silver - I have no idea what that is.. but its fastened in tight, no trays or anything but looks electrical.. One thing the van does have is the original AA control console to the RH side of the steering wheel, which looks mega as it lights up nicely and for this reason alone stays in! Seems to have a purpose other than looking fly too.. the guy I got the van off has fitted strip lights in the back that can be switched on / off from here.. whether I can live with flourescent lights night after night is another matter - though I can change that easily enough I guess.. As for the safe I'm kinda thinking of having a custom one put in - big enough to put my laptop / camera etc in but hidden in a cabinet or something, from experience anything that might attract the attention of an opportunist theft is a bad thing..

Chris, I just got insured via Brentacre the other day - really cool, the guy I spoke to (Gary) was super knowledgeable about vans, conversions etc, plus I told them my T4 was remapped to 130bhp, would have alloys on it some of the year, suspension had been lowered etc and they seemed fine with it all.. they hooked me up with cover from Markerstudy who give 90 days Euro cover, though whether or not this can be extended I don't know..

Bentacre's number is 01792 650933..

Where did you get the heater from btw? Looked at the Propex site yesterday and their heaters really do seem the business - but seem super expensive too!

Thanks for the electrics tips too -  I really need to get my head round what I'm gonna need electrically and where it'll go as some of it (decent stereo, fridge etc) is gonna have to be added a later date..

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#533 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 02:42:59 pm
So following on from all the kind knowledge imparted so far - anyone have any views on the following?

Beds.. Rock n roll vs custom built? I kind of like the idea of custom building something to be able to maximise storage (especially mats) etc, though was thinking an R n R bed could give more space, comfort and maybe add to the re-sale value? Though I guess custom built would be a whole lot cheaper? I guess ultimately I want whatever is gonna give my ageing / f**ked body the best chance of a decent nights kip..

Fridges.. Anyone any beta on gas vs electric? A fridge is something I'd add like to add later, but need to get a handle on before I insulate / panel out the van out.. I guess gas saves a lot of hassle?

Electrics.. I guess if vans have mains hook up then you can use standard plugs for this? I doubt whether I'd ever go down this route, so do most people run external appliances of the cig lighter style sockets? there are two in the van at the mo - one in the dash, one by the side door..

anyways.. now my head is starting to hurt, rather than spin, I need to stop with questions.. thanks once again in advance if anyone can help..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#534 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 03:06:52 pm
One of the best things we got fitted in ours electric wise was some LED lights on bendable stalks, two above the cooker and two for reading. Dunno the make though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#535 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 03:11:32 pm
Really you ought to hop on over to the t4 forum and fill your head with as much knowledge as possible and have a snoop around what others have done (plus there's no subscription fee anymore).

Theres plenty of nifty tips, including 240v hookup fitted easily into the rear reflector. R+R beds. 3 way fridges (pretty much standard). I think you might find some of these answer your non-climbing-van specific questions better than on here.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#536 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 03:22:28 pm
Cheers for the Brentacre tips guys - my current underwriter is marker study so I may just hassle Adrian Flux and see what the crack is.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#537 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 03:52:56 pm
I got the propex from Rainbow Conversions, did a bit of a price scan and they seemed about the cheapest I could find, about 420 I think, like you say not the cheapest but should make for a comfortable life.

I got my RnR bed from Dave at Cannons Forge http://www.cannonsforge.com/  Can't fault it really - its a top bit of kit, he's super helpful if you want to just pop over and have a look - near Worksop.

Gas fridges are good if your away 'wild camping' for extended periods but require more external venting.  If I were doing it again I think I'd go down that route however I've just got a Vitrifrigo compressor one and 2*110Ah batteries.  To keep them topped up with minimal alternator time then I've got a Sterling B2B charger which puts loads of juice back into the batteries with minimal driving.  I'm considering a solar panel on the roof to supplement this, but since its a T5 then there isn't a load of space and I think we'll need a roof box up there too for all my girlfriends shit stuff we'll inevitably have with us.

As I said earlier with your electrics then just make sure you use thick enough cable for the purpose - eg the Fridge low power & current but needs a highly rated cable to prevent voltage drop over the cable and premature turning off.  (It turns off as some predetermined voltage to prevent totally knackering your batteries).  Also better to have a couple of unused cables coming out of the wall in cupboards than be wising there was a cable somewhere there wasn't!

240V - You can add a hookup easily and/or an inverter.  I've done both but don't really envisage using the hookup much/ever but since it was no extra effort to do and would be much more later on then while I was at it I added it also.  Basic theory is hookup --> consumer unit (with RCD) --> 2 o/p's.  Once of sockets (16A) one for Batter charger if you bother (6A).

Like Paul said there's shit loads of info out there, the 3 main places I've used are:

vwt4forum - good for VW t4/5 info, a bit of a bias towards the stylish trendy van as opposed to practical campers but still loads of good info there too.

brick-yard - as above but more camper orientated

SBMCC - the real hardcore of the self builders seem to live here - they know most things about making camper vans and well worth the ten quid subscription.

Generally marine/yaching forums are good too - there is an awful lot of crossover and you seem to get less cowboy's.  There is loads to think about - but none of it is that bad once you get going, just make sure to do things in a logical order, and always put the Stanley blade away when your carpeting and you can't go to far wrong.

Paul B

• forum hero
#538 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 04:24:22 pm
I've heard bad things about Canon Forge, I'd go to JDS metaltech personally. Space saving design as well...

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#539 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 04:29:05 pm
I've heard bad things about Canon Forge, I'd go to JDS metaltech personally. Space saving design as well...

Really, like what? - I've heard nothing but good things and on the t4forum there is a  very long thread with good comments from satisfied customers.  I know a few people with them too - they rate them :shrug: 

The only -ve thing I pick up on is that they're not crash tested - but then he doesn't claim they are

Paul B

• forum hero
#540 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 04:39:43 pm
Really, like what?

Like supplying them to a van outfitter the wrong size and joins being less than square.

I think most of the crash tested ones just massively inflate the price

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#541 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 05:18:28 pm
Like supplying them to a van outfitter the wrong size and joins being less than square.

I think most of the crash tested ones just massively inflate the price

Fair do's I'd say that these are more likely one off's than an indication of normal quality else there would be much more negativity out there.

Totally agree about the cost of the crash tested ones :o  Though I guess you may feel differently if you were doing distances with your kids in the back...

Dave at cannons forge was explaining why he'd not bothered despite initally saying he would; he'd have to supply donor vehicles for each crash test.  I can't remember the figure but obviously a minimum of 1 T4, T5 and a Vito + any others.  Then there would be any refinements to the design and retests plus new vehicles for them etc.  The cost of each test alone was pretty hefty too - even without crashing anything!

Paul B

• forum hero
#542 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 05:33:50 pm
all well and good for the rear seats but I was very aware that a kitchen worktop was effectively set at neck level behind the drivers seat.
Vans and safety just don't go hand in hand. I'm certainly happy that my biggest smash yet was in a punto with a zillion airbags rather than a van with one, or even none.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#543 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 29, 2010, 05:42:58 pm
 :lol:

True enough...  That's what made me laugh about the DVLA classifications & speed limits - you can remove a bulkhead, poorly fix down a large volume of wood and steel in the rear, add in some explosive gas cylinders and dodgy electrical work and suddenly your legal to drive 10mph faster.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#544 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 30, 2010, 03:00:04 pm
Though I guess you may feel differently if you were doing distances with your kids in the back...

Why we went for one after much swithering. Crash testing and all that Paul has mentioned ups the price somewhat. Wish we had got one in the first place, buy cheap buy twice! Worth considering as an option of kids are part of your short to medium term plans.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#545 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 06, 2011, 03:21:47 pm
Chris, I just got insured via Brentacre the other day - really cool, the guy I spoke to (Gary) was super knowledgeable about vans, conversions etc, plus I told them my T4 was remapped to 130bhp, would have alloys on it some of the year, suspension had been lowered etc and they seemed fine with it all.. they hooked me up with cover from Markerstudy who give 90 days Euro cover, though whether or not this can be extended I don't know..

Bentacre's number is 01792 650933..

Dragging this up again...

Just spoke to these people, like you say super nice and knowledgeable, but said the best he could find, with some ear bending to make it possible too apparently, was £1389.95 for the year in Europe.  :o

Its 350quid for the UK annually at the moment.  (8 years ncb, 0 points etc).  It's not like we're driving through war torn failing states, Italy's about as lawless as its going to get.

So far I've tried:

Bentacre - £1.4K as above
Adrain Flux - Won't do it for > 90 days
eVan - will inure the van, but not the camper part of it.

Currently waiting on a quote from these people: http://www.insurancechoice.co.uk/product/private-motor/motorhome-and-campervan-insurance

Someone suggested to drive the length of Europe and back every 90days to ensure we have some ferry documentation that shows when we started each 3 month trip to keep within the bounds of companies like Adrain Flux.  This sounds very, very tedious.

Anyone got any other bright ideas - or is this what its costs other people that have done the same?

tomtom

• forum hero
#546 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 06, 2011, 03:34:36 pm
Would Gibraltar count as UK nowadays?  ;) would allow a spanish jaunt...

Paul B

• forum hero
#547 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 06, 2011, 03:46:16 pm
I can't remember how much it cost us Chris but our premiums were fairly ridiculous at this point anyway due to other circumstances.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#548 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 06, 2011, 04:49:59 pm
I like the Gibraltar idea, not sure it'll be acceptable though  :lol:

InsuranceChoice.co.uk will cover us for £1K with only £200 excess underwritten by Aviva.  Plus only £60 for EU brakedown cover also which isn't too bad.

I'll keep digging and if I find anything better I'll post it here in case its any use to anyone in the future.

chummer

• forum abuser
#549 Re: Camper Van knowledge
January 07, 2011, 01:30:53 pm
Bit of a multi question post I'm afraid..

I'm looking to get a T5 Transporter through my business (self employed, not VAT registered) and I was looking for some advice, knowledge and other folks experiences, and my question is two fold:

1. I believe some of the T5's have had a few problems, can anyone advise me if there is any pattern with this, eg, pre '09... and what problems or indicators I should be looking for? Also, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what model would folk advice and which engine? it'll be everyday use, short and longer trips away, and I want it to have a little poke to it.

2. My accountant advised H.P as opposed to bank loan but then there's also the ownership lease option too. I am completely ignorant to any of these, having never needed a loan or any major finance (at 36 i have still never even had a credit card). Obviously I want to go with the one with the lowest interest rate but any advice would be welcomed. (I can't afford a big hefty deposit either).
I am looking to pay over 3 or 5 years for a low milage 2nd hand van which I wish to convert for trips away. I would like to have the van long term hence going with lower milage so ideally I keep it until repairs become uneconomical or a newer van more economical if you catch my drift. Does this affect the lease aspect?

3. sorry, just one more! If anyone knows of any good garages/dealers that have good stock, good value or good finance deals then i would be grateful to hear about them.

Also, any types or deals on finance you would avoid?

Sorry again for the multiple questions but any advice will be greatly received.
Before you ask I don't want a Vauxaul or Merc Vito, I have considered the Renault but having had a t4 and loving the drive and size and them holding their value I'm after the T5 despite the fact they're like shades on the head and wearing a black feece gillet around here, every outdoorsy foockers got one!

Thank you all in advance
Jon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal