UKBouldering.com

Camper Van knowledge (Read 412374 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#300 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 01:47:50 pm
Ok some pics so far. I got a load of radiator insulation from a mate who is a builder. For free so couldn't complain. Waiting till sides have been paneled before i insulate the floor. Will be putting carpet over the ply too, so should be nice and snug.  ;D

And last but not least, a very important mod  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#301 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 02:05:11 pm
Adam, if you can get any more of that stuff, I would double up the layers. Unless that stuff is brilliant at insulating, i don't think you have enough.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#302 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 02:07:46 pm
Adam, if you can get any more of that stuff, I would double up the layers. Unless that stuff is brilliant at insulating, i don't think you have enough.

I have another two rolls, but it does seem noticeably warmer in there!  I might double up, i will have a think.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#303 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 05:24:35 pm
Have double insulated it now. Better safe than sorry! Cheers guys.

Picking up the ICE next week.
Carpeting for the walls ceiling and floor. (Anyone know a good place where you can get that grey car material you so often see in VW campers?)
Leisure battery.
Lighting.
Bed/seating setup.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#304 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 06:36:02 pm
You can't have too much insulation  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#305 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 06:56:49 pm
You can't have too much insulation  :thumbsup:

:lol:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#306 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 07:06:09 pm
I've just insulated and carpeted my white van.  I bought my carpet from ebay for both vans. This time i went for the cheaper option on there for 99 quid with spray glue and realised it's the ribbed variety.  The ribbed stuff doesn't stretch around corners very well and need to be put in the same direction (which is a pain for b-posts).  Go for the more expensive stuff (think the guy is in Leeds)

You can get a cheap leisure battery (120) for 80 notes at CCC.  Get an intelligent relay too so that it charges after the crank battery and run all of your ICE off it.

Either go for a box configuration or get an IKEA metal sofa bed from fleabay

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#308 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 08:19:21 pm

Carpeting for the walls ceiling and floor. (Anyone know a good place where you can get that grey car material you so often see in VW campers?)
Leisure battery.
Lighting.
Bed/seating setup.

I have some of those book marked already fot pROJECT mAYHEM (my van conversion)

Leisure battery - looking at eBay for one of those at the minute - be careful of the amps that your alternator will kick out - the VW T5 kicks out something along the lines of 80Amps - better to go over spec on wire rather than have it melt - looking at this for the split relay on my project. 

Carpet - http://www.megavanmats.com/ - supposed top be the dogs according to the T4 forum.

Lighting - http://www.ezone4.co.uk/flush_fitting_lights.htm - you may be able to find these cheaper and if you do let me know.

Bed\seat - simple(ish) choice between a rock and rolla bed (seats that fold into a bed) or make your own - currently at this stage myself and building a sleeping platform with storage underneath - wait a few days and I will give you the low down on how not to do it.

As for ICE - go on then show us yer willy...  ;)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#309 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 08:23:07 pm
You can get a cheap leisure battery (120) for 80 notes at CCC.  Get an intelligent relay too so that it charges after the crank battery and run all of your ICE off it.

What's the high of said battery to the terminals dylan - the T5 will only accomodate something to the height of 190mm if you place it under the drivers\passenger seat IIRC.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#310 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 08:27:38 pm
Last post on this thread for a few minutes - foam for seats - does anyone have the low down on what thickness to use for a comfortable day waiting out the rain\sleeping on and all that?

Looking further down the line seat covers for the foam - throw me some recommendations you lovely people!  :)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#311 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 09:28:17 pm
does anyone have the low down on what thickness to use for a comfortable day waiting out the rain\sleeping on and all that?

I was thinking 5inch for my foam.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#312 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 09:29:48 pm

Leisure battery.
Lighting.
Bed/seating setup.

I have some of those book marked already fot pROJECT mAYHEM (my van conversion)

Leisure battery - looking at eBay for one of those at the minute - be careful of the amps that your alternator will kick out - the VW T5 kicks out something along the lines of 80Amps - better to go over spec on wire rather than have it melt - looking at this for the split relay on my project. 

Carpet - http://www.megavanmats.com/ - supposed top be the dogs according to the T4 forum.

Lighting - http://www.ezone4.co.uk/flush_fitting_lights.htm - you may be able to find these cheaper and if you do let me know.

Bed\seat - simple(ish) choice between a rock and rolla bed (seats that fold into a bed) or make your own - currently at this stage myself and building a sleeping platform with storage underneath - wait a few days and I will give you the low down on how not to do it.

As for ICE - go on then show us yer willy...  ;)

Cheers for all the pointers. As for ICE, i am seeing my guy next week who will hook me up. Nothing special, half decent head unit, 6 * 9  speakers in the back and some decent door speakers. Might need an amp at some stage. Toying with the idea of a screen that folds down from the roof, but will stick with laptop for now to keep costs down.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#313 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 10:43:02 pm
Costs will be the thing that slows everything down - it is not enough to plan for all the obvious things as there will be another 20% on top for random fixtures and the like to add on to whatever you have originally budgeted for.

I have probably mentioned it before but make sure you have a clear and logical plan of what you want to do - figure out what lights\stereo cabling runs you are going to need before you even think of doing any panelling as you will only end up taking it apart again otherwise.  I would also recommend being 100% sure of where you are installing your leisure battery and the associated fuse box(es) prior to doing any cabling. If you are carpeting panels make sure you leave a big enough gap to allow for the carpet to be folded over the edge of the board (I think it is something like 3mm per side) to get a neat join - allow a bit more if you are carpeting the pillars as well.

Head unit wise I went for one of these and a damn fine head unit it is too - I have just got a USB stick plugged in but has full i-Pod control if you so desire*. Door speakers - if they are anything like as bad as the ones in the T5 then they are definitely in need of an upgrade and I have got factory installed tweeters in the dash so they are not being over worked on the top end - you might need to invest in templates for the speakers to sit in as well if they are like the T5 (they are moulded into a plastic housing).

Anyway have fun doing the fitting - personally speaking it is often frustrating but also extremely rewarding - if you need a hand or advice drop me a PM.

*There are probably other head units that will do the same thing for less bucks but I required 3 pre-outs due to the install that is going in the van.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#314 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 10:56:53 pm
Not gone for a head unit with DAB....... rookie error! Digital radio is the one thing that keeps me sane on long journeys - no endless faffing with ipods, etc (although I can plug the ipod in if needs be). Get a good aerial and coverage is impecable.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#315 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 07, 2009, 11:07:44 pm
I would have liked to have had DAB via the head unit in the van but it proved scandalously expensive to get that as well as the other things that I wanted from a head unit so it got dropped. These have been touted as a decent after market plug in should you want to install DAB without changing the head unit though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#316 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 08, 2009, 01:06:24 pm
Toying with the idea of a screen that folds down from the roof, but will stick with laptop for now to keep costs down.

We considered one of these, but I think it just gives more reason to break in. Planning on using laptop instead, one that fits into the safe!

Paul B

• forum hero
#317 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 08, 2009, 06:10:40 pm
My aspire D150 has been a god send on the trip so far. Its tiny and with the 6 cell battery life isn't really an issue. Uncle of course turned his nose up telling me that the screen didn't have good enough res to play hi-def...
In turns of ICE/Screens etc. I'd go as stealth as possible, take a look at the NNFN thread for reasons why, it seems people don't even need to see a reason to break in to a van.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#318 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 08, 2009, 10:30:55 pm
Ok, now car audio isn't my thing. But. I have no speakers in the back of the van and intend putting some in. Will normal run of the mill cable be ok or do i need something a bit more specialized?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#319 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 08, 2009, 10:45:58 pm
make sure you use speaker cable and try not to use the cheapest, power cable and other wire does a terrible job

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#320 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 08, 2009, 11:28:35 pm
Ok, now car audio isn't my thing. But. I have no speakers in the back of the van and intend putting some in. Will normal run of the mill cable be ok or do i need something a bit more specialized?

You should be fine using standard speaker cable - usual caveats apply with regard to you get what you pay for etc.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#321 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 11, 2009, 01:49:02 pm
For anyone looking to buy an invertor for their van install this looks very good value for money at £40 with free delivery - it goes back up to £70 on the 27th October when the offer ends so get them while they're cheap!

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#322 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 11, 2009, 02:09:02 pm

The only thing you need to be particular about is conductor size, and for your application .75 -1.5sqmm stranded copper wire will be more than adequate. It doesn't need to be 'speaker wire' mains cable will do - the movement of electrons and holes in copper wire is totally unaffected by hifi or car audio marketing hype.
As for carpet, one of the venues I work at regularly re carpets  it's stage, and I'm pretty sure that's happening this week, so I might be able to get you some dark blue twill if you want.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#323 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2009, 08:53:27 am
As for carpet, one of the venues I work at regularly re carpets  it's stage, and I'm pretty sure that's happening this week, so I might be able to get you some dark blue twill if you want.

Sounds good, let us know this week if its a goer.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#324 Re: Camper Van knowledge
October 12, 2009, 01:27:42 pm
Before I start Googling does anybody have any suggestions for a safe for the van? Ideally floor fixing with a front opening door and large enough to take a small laptop and a few other things such as sat nav and the like.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal