UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139197 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Kids watching SING on a daily basis, know most of the songs now. I've played them the full original version of most songs, although some censoring is required notably Humpty Song and Nicki Minaj's Anaconda

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Just watched Dunkirk.  Go see it if you can. At a big cinema or an IMax.  Five stars... It's absolutely brilliant.  Epic filmmaking.  Hans Zimmer's score proper set me off  :'(  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:22:03 pm by Falling Down »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Guardians of The Galaxy 2

rather good

worth watching the first one first - not for any major plot needs, but to get you connected with the characters

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
They're both great, and yes I agree that watching first one beforehand will certainly help.

I had a film based day yesterday due to man flu. Watched Doctor Strange, really liked it after initial reservations about Cucumbersnatch being main character. Also rewatched Captain America Winter Soldior, and forgot how good it was. Next up was Walk Hard: The Duey Cox Story. Totally daft comedy that lots won't like, but it made me chuckle.

Lastly, watched Fantastic Beasts again. Superb!

nik at work

• forum hero
Currently laid up with a wabby knee. I watched The Abominable Doctor Phibes yesterday afternoon. Classic 70's camp nonsense, very enjoyable 'Sunday afternoon' style film.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Saw Blade Runner 2049 the other day. Very bleak. Stylish. 7/10.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Yeah, fancy a bit of that.

Duma

• forum hero
Off to see 2049 on Sunday, haven't been this psyched for a film for a while. Will be most upset if it's as underwhelming as alien.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Me and W watched a great French movie last Friday.  The Measure of a Man.  Beautiful and sad. It's been compared to I Daniel Blake which I've not seen so can't comment.  I was quite moved and it's stuck with me all week. 

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Currently watching Crocodile Dundee 2, straight after the first one.

Can't beat the classics.

mark s

• junky
blade runner today ,amazing.
loved it. the original is one of my favourite films
maybe the original had a little more about it as it was visually groundbreaking.

all I can say if you like sci fi, go and watch it

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Saw 2049 today too. Found it worth watching, but not a groundbreaking classic like the original.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Having a teenage son is great. You can have post-cinema arguments about things like what are the two greatest scenes in science fiction movie history - Mos Eisley and the Tears in Rain speech, natch - and the coincidence (?) that Harrison Ford is in both of them.

Duma

• forum hero
2049 was fucking awesome.

It's not the original, obviously, but still.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Having a teenage son is great. You can have post-cinema arguments about things like what are the two greatest scenes in science fiction movie history - Mos Eisley and the Tears in Rain speech, natch - and the coincidence (?) that Harrison Ford is in both of them.

Don't need to be a teenager. Already having "who shot first" debate.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Just watched Dunkirk.  Go see it if you can. At a big cinema or an IMax.  Five stars... It's absolutely brilliant.  Epic filmmaking.  Hans Zimmer's score proper set me off  :'(  :'( :'(

Totally agree with you. Dunkirk is probably one of the best war filmsever made. Amazing. Needs to be seen on a big screen. Conversely I found blade runner a big disappointing. Visually stunning but overlong over complicated and the plot was appallingly disjointed. Harrison ford was the real star of it, I far preferred the original movie.

remus

• forum hero
Another thumbs up for 2049 from me. Watched it in imax 3d, highly recommended as some of the cityscapes are mind blowing.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Went to see The Party at the cinema last night for W's birthday.  Nice to watch short film for a change - they seem to just keep getting longer and longer.  This one is 70 minutes and is about a very middle class group of friends having a dinner party.  It's a farce and a wry, funny one at that.  I laughed out loud a lot and even clapped at the end.  Watched it at The Gate in Notting Hill an independent cinema with Victorian plasterwork - a lovely place.  I suspect the entire audience (including me and W) could have easily been characters in the film which made it even more uncomfortably funny.

Last weekend we watched 20th century women on amazon.  A heartwarming coming of age movie about an older single mum raising her young son in 70's/80's California with the help of her lodgers, an arty punk, a teenag girl and an older hippy.  I really liked it.

Alien Covenant was OK apart from the last 45 minutes action-movie stuff which also ruined Prometheus.  Overall disapointing..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Alien Covenant was OK apart from the last 45 minutes action-movie stuff which also ruined Prometheus.  Overall disapointing..

obviously a fantastic sci-fi short story idea - could have been awesome if more time was spent on the story, characters, world, tech (inc background) and left much of the action off screen - only using modern movie tech for the really important points

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yup - same with Prometheus.  Both movies could have been brilliant, existential sci-fi mind benders but all the action horror stuff just got in the way. There's so much great material to work with.  Imagine a quiet, long paced encounter with the Engineers in prehistoric times  in Prometheus or more interactions with the entire planet of people in the latest one.  A missed opportunity.

Oh and Fassbender is amazing as David & whatever the new one is called.  More dialogue and less fighting please...

SA Chris

• forum hero
Fassbender is amazing

Edited. Seems to nail everything he does.

remus

• forum hero
Went to see The Death of Stalin. It's pitched as a comedy but personally I didn't get much out of it. For me I think it cuts a little close to the truth and there's a lot of reminders of the millions of people who died under Stalin.

Spoliers

NSFW  :
For example, there's a scene just after Stalin dies and Beria, the head of the secret police, is trying to take control. He makes a call and says "Stalin is dead, swap his list for our list, release the other prisoners." Then it cuts to one of his NKVD officers going down a lineup and executing people, only to get a tap on the shoulder at a seemingly random point saying that orders have changed.

More black than comedy.

SA Chris

• forum hero
If 'What We Do In She Shadows' from the same writer is still on there it's also well worth a watch (probably better IMO)

I though this was a great film.

Was on BBC last night, so hopefully on iPlayer. Well worth it.

Paul B

• forum hero
Saw Blade Runner 2049 the other day. Very bleak. Stylish. 7/10.

Gritty, visually stunning, suspenseful but ultimately, overly slow for me ( at 164 mins).

I watched it in 3D which usually wouldn't have been my preference but it worked well with the drone shots.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
ultimately, overly slow for me ( at 164 mins).

Isn't it just! The plot totally disappears up its own behind half way through, I thought it was a shame as it's such a stunning spectacle. Could have been a lot shorter, and would have been better for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal