UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139395 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Since I have taken control of the remote (first time in years), I've been working my way through Sky on Demand's Sci-fi section. It pains me to say, that Cruise's "Edge of tomorrow" is actually quite good. Disney's "Tomorrowland" is a great romp in the style of "Witch Mountain" (for those old enough to remember).
But, a movie I had heard nothing about, turned out to be the best. Not the most original plot and a Dune, Harry Potter, Matrix, X-Files mash-up with overtones of Riddick, for sure. A great watch though.

Am I being slow? Which one are you referring to?

adam w

I must be slow too because I can't tell. Unless the film's called But. Then again I'm flying on flu medicine at the moment.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Since I have taken control of the remote (first time in years), I've been working my way through Sky on Demand's Sci-fi section. It pains me to say, that Cruise's "Edge of tomorrow" is actually quite good. Disney's "Tomorrowland" is a great romp in the style of "Witch Mountain" (for those old enough to remember).
But, a movie I had heard nothing about, turned out to be the best. Not the most original plot and a Dune, Harry Potter, Matrix, X-Files mash-up with overtones of Riddick, for sure. A great watch though.

Am I being slow? Which one are you referring to?
No, drug induced imbecility on my my part. Jupiter Ascending was the film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
Looks like a big lump of cheese wrapped in several layers of cliche.

Just my bag.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I was pleasantly surprised by Jupiter Ascending

that and Interstellar 

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
The Martian - Love love love it.

Seconded. Watched this this weekend and absolutely loved it, far more than I thought I would. :thumbsup:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Edge Of Tomorrow was ace! Really did what the trailer promised, I had to go see it twice.

Wasn't convinced by reports of Jupiter Ascending but might try it now.

IF deadpool had actually been two hours of puerile nob jokes, I might have found it entertaining. It was hardly Wolverine meets The Inbetweeners.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Crimson Peak: Mostly good, but doesn't quite hit the mark. 2/3 a good blend of period drama and ghost thriller, and the ghosts are properly fucking freaky. All going nice, but loses the plot towards the end with a very simple resolution and some pantomine settings and violence. If it had explored dark romance and the siblings tormented motivations more, it could have been a great film.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

Wasn't convinced by reports of Jupiter Ascending but might try it now.

It's awful. It is to sci-fi what burnt porridge is to breakfast.

SA Chris

• forum hero
The Martian - Love love love it.

Seconded. Watched this this weekend and absolutely loved it, far more than I thought I would. :thumbsup:

Likewise. A great yarn.

36chambers

• forum hero
Spontaneously decided to watch Bone Tomahawk last week (as it was playing at the Hype Park Picture House and I just wanted an excuse to check out the venue).

Knew nothing about the film but it looked like a gritty western which I've a penchant for. Without trying to give anything away; it's well shot, it's slow, it's almost boring, it's does tension quite well and it's one of the few films that has shocked and left me with a feeling of unease. Like a shit old rollercoaster that was strangely enjoyable because you thought you would actually die.

Anyway, I'm not very good at reviews or discussing feelings.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
We watched Slow West last week some time. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3205376/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10

Quite a nice, light take on a Western. Kind of humerous, but certainly not laugh a minute comedy. More of a "wry smile" type of thing. Plot keeps you going, acting fine if not mind blowing.

Nice and short, so good for an evening/after dinner watch and it's on netflix.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
Hail Caesar! Enjoyable, entertaining (matthew maconanonaghy and scarlet johansen big dance/aquatic nos particularly), episodic, slight, wee bit disappointing if I'm honest, and I probably count as a Cohen Bros fan. (I would say stuff about the Revenant but can't think of anything nice. )

galpinos

• forum hero
Hail Caesar! Enjoyable, entertaining (matthew maconanonaghy and scarlet johansen big dance/aquatic nos particularly)

Do you mean Channing Tatum? Mcconaughey isn't in it?

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
Init.  I could also learn to spell Coen  :wall:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
High Rise - I'm a Ballard fan and enjoyed this adaptation.  It's pretty bonkers and full-on.  Brilliant casting, especially Dan Renton Skinner (AKA Angelos Epithimou & Bosh in house of fools) as Simmons.  The credits roll to The Fall's "Industrial Estate" which caps things off nicely.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Watched dead pool tonight after looking forward to it then not fancying it at all, bit bizarre but an enjoyable hour and 3/4.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
High Rise - I'm a Ballard fan and enjoyed this adaptation.

I love Ballard's writing; I'm keen to see this. Baffles me how noone has made a movie out of the drowned world (although I've never looked it up on imbd, maybe they have?)

.... looks like it might be? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2740074/

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
I watched 'what we do in the shadows' recently after recommendation from my sister. Comedy about vampires sharing a flat in New Zealand. If you enjoyed flight of the conchords you'll love it, but I'd probably give it a go anyway! Hilarious, was even better second time round.

haydn jones

• forum hero
I second what we do in the shadows. Right up my street that comedy. Available on netflix too

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Saw Deadpool on Saturday. Proper funny, especially the teabag gag...

Mumra

Martian was not as shit as I'd expected. 7/10

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Went to go and see Dheepan yesterday, I'd highly recommend it: thoughtful and human movie about immigrant experience.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
May have been mentioned a while back but caught 'Force Majeure' on Lovefilm last night. Great film. Funny, interesting premise, beautiful to look at, well acted. Highly recommended.

tomtom

• forum hero
Watched 'Steve Jobs' last night - Danny Boyles take on the life of the Apple person...

An interesting film - quite cleverly made - could have been a play, with the film comprising of three scenes. Each 'scene' or act, I guess, was set in the immediate run up to one of his major launch events with the tension of a baying crowd building up, and Jobs rather manically dealing with the problems in his professional and personal life before he heads on stage. It feels a bit 'intense' at times ~ but thats probably the point!

Enjoyable.

No car chases, no monster robots or aliens, no sex scenes, blood or gore. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal