UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139411 times)

TheTwig

• stalker
Movie spree..

End of Watch - Brilliant IMHO. Good chemistry between Gyllenhall & Pena.
The Martian - Love love love it. 'I'm going to science the shit out of this planet' will be one of the great movie quotes of all time :) Good acting by Damon and the scenery/environment was really good.
Spectre - Meh, flashy stunts, brilliant extended starting sequence, rest of the film was dire IMHO. The super-super-bad guy spent so long giving Bond chances to kill him it kind of ruined the film. 6.5/10
Sicario - 7.5/10 - Emily blunt comes across as totally useless and incompetent (which is tied in to the plot) but this isn't believable, given her job. The scene on the bridge is the best of the movie. Del Toro is amazing
The Intern - feelgood Hollywood garbage. I actually enjoyed it though
Star Wars - Good film, nice fights, nice effects etc. The plot felt recycled and seemed like there were too many inadequately/awkwardly presented things. Still, it is star wars! Overall the negatives didn't detract much from the awesomeness of the film. Apparently the novelization does a better job of explaining plot background.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Black Mass - Gritty, gangster noir with a really good performance from Johnny Depp.  The supporting actors are fantastic.  I really liked it.

Star Wars - Fun and nostalgic but essentially a re-run of the first film.  I enjoyed every minute mind.

The Revenant - Savage and bleak.  A bit like Cormac Mcarthy's "Blood Meridian" turned into a film.  Leo is turning into a proper old-school hollywood actor as he ages a bit.  Brilliant in the first half and then very good for the rest.  You could argue it's just a standard revenge movie but the setting, the pacing and amazing soundtrack really cap it off.

monkey boy

• forum hero
Not films but I have been enjoying the new channel 4 station, Walter Presents. Loads of what seem like pretty good quality foreign tv series. Deutschland 83, Heartless, 10 are all pretty entertaining.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
This week I watched 'Line across the sky', the Caldwell-Honnold Fitzroy traverse film, which is great, and 'Meru' about Conrad Anker's ascent of Meru Shark's fin. Meru is incredible, a big step above most climbing films, although a bit too long to watch without the bath water turning cold around you.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Re-watched Looper last night. Still great.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Tonight I watched a film called The Visit, on the recommendation of my other half. This is without doubt, one of the worst films I have ever seen. And to make matters worse, we paid to watch the fucker!

Don't make the same mistake, DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM!!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
The Assassin

Really didn't enjoy this much, and its generally the sort of thing I like. The beauty of the cinamatography and locations don't make up for the butt numbing tedium of the (lack of) a decent narrative, any coherent characterization, or any dramatic intensity.  To really ice it off, the background noise (at the Showroom in Sheffield) probably would have made star wars inaudible.

Ah, i feel (about 0.5%) better about wasting money on this vacuous experience now.

psychomansam

• forum hero
The Assassin

Really didn't enjoy this much, and its generally the sort of thing I like. The beauty of the cinamatography and locations don't make up for the butt numbing tedium of the (lack of) a decent narrative, any coherent characterization, or any dramatic intensity.  To really ice it off, the background noise (at the Showroom in Sheffield) probably would have made star wars inaudible.

Ah, i feel (about 0.5%) better about wasting money on this vacuous experience now.

What was the background noise? Have they started the refurbishment?

TobyD

• forum hero
The Assassin

What was the background noise? Have they started the refurbishment?

Much worse than drilling and hammering, it was a new age church group singing hallelulias for more than an hour over a slammin drum beat.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Re-watched Looper last night. Still great.

I did too, i love it, one of my favourite films of late. but the prosthetic make up on Joseph Gordon Levitt still bugs me.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
Just finished watching Metro Manila :'(

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Deadpool - Dullpool more like. Some funny crude moments, some boring silly moments, some generic semi-serious superhero moments, all a bit patchily put together.

Mumra

Black mass--- not for me. I'd either watched the story told or shot in a better way. Disappointed as I was really looking forward to it

Looper (the series)-----Kill me now! However I've watched 6 episodes so far. What does that say?! I'm vacuous :popcorn:

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
A bit late but recently watched:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: A great cast but it never got going for me. When it all started kicking off towards the end I didn't care much what happened as hadn't been following with much interest.

The Martian: Really good! Was getting a bit nervous for him when he blasted out of space. Made me think how reluctant I'd be to leave each thing behind. The base, the car etc. Try leaving or die I guess. Made me laugh when Sean Bean talks about the council of Elrond.

dave

Any of you cunts in that London or Edinburgh managed to see Hatefull Eight on 70mm let? My sister saw it in Edinburgh and rated it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
It's on at the Odeon in Cuntish Town.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
A Bigger Splash - A really tense drama.  I've been less anxious watching thrillers.  Enjoyed it but was quite exhausted afterwards.

andy popp

• forum hero
I watched Trumbo a couple of days ago. An interesting story (about which I knew too little) that is well done. Bryan Cranston is excellent.

Teaboy

• forum hero
Sicario - it was ok but nowhere near as good as the critics had made out. I couldn't work out who I was supposed to be rooting for, not in conflicted sort of way, more in a 'I couldn't give a toss about any of them' kind of way. There was a good set piece on the bridge but the rest of it was a bit meh with none of the charcterdevelopmentmaking sense.

Lone Survivor - why do so many films these days start with the final scene? I know it's based on a true story so most would probably know the story (I didn't) but it adds nothing to the film, there was no reason. Mind you the title itself is a bit of a give away. Otherwise it was well done but not that engaging. Like the final scenes of Rambo First Blood Part II. I know that should be a good thing but I'd have been disappointed if I'd gone to the cinema to watch it.

On an entirely different note (and too late to be of any use now) but Professor Brainestawm on TV over Christmas was brilliant.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Been on a bit of cinema binge at the moment.  Went to see Spotlight last night. Another good movie.  Michael Keaton is great in it.  It's strange how normalised that news of abuse in the Catholic Church has become and the film peels that away to leave a sense of outrage.

As for the trailers. High Rise (the adaptation of JG Ballard's novel) looks flippin' brilliant and gloriously bonkers &  Triple 9 looks mental.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Since I have taken control of the remote (first time in years), I've been working my way through Sky on Demand's Sci-fi section. It pains me to say, that Cruise's "Edge of tomorrow" is actually quite good. Disney's "Tomorrowland" is a great romp in the style of "Witch Mountain" (for those old enough to remember).
But, a movie I had heard nothing about, turned out to be the best. Not the most original plot and a Dune, Harry Potter, Matrix, X-Files mash-up with overtones of Riddick, for sure. A great watch though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigd942

• addict
When you mention Dune I really liked Joborowskys Dune and on a similar theme Future Shock: The Story of 2000AD. Watched Star Wars the Silver Screen Edition lastnight, good watch, looks very sketchy, can under stand why Lucas wanted to go back and polish it a bit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

http://futureshock2000ad.com/

http://thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2016/01/15/Team-Negative-One-completes-35mm-Restoration-of-Star-Wars

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Another vote for Jodorowski's Dune.  It's on AmazonPrime if anyone's interested.  Really worthwhile.  Imagine Dali as Baron Harkonen!!

TobyD

• forum hero
Just seen Deadpool this evening; 2 hours of utter puerility, nob gags, cartoon violence and stupid in-jokes.
I absolutely loved it every minute of it; I can't remember laughing out loud so often in any movie. The absolute antithesis of worthiness, it knows it and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

geoffg

• regular
Yeah. Like the Viz version of Marvel comics.
Can't go wrong

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal