UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1140316 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Rubber : as weird as you'd expect a film about a telekinetic psychopathic tyre to be.

Wow, you actually watched it. Is it worth a look then? I laughed at the trailer, but thought the movie would be awful.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Seen Gravity tonight. Stunning , but left me pretty underwhelmed and I'm not sure why.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Yeah, I was hoping for somethng meatier. It's pretty, but vacuous. Still enjoyed it though.

And it worked well in 3D, unlike most films which just seem darker, less watchable and more expensive.

psychomansam

• forum hero
On comic book films I watch V for vendetta again last night as it was bonfire night. I had forgot how well that film was done almost had a tear in my eye at the end. No where near as detailed as the book but still a fantastic film. Some of the charctures are played unbelievably well espcially sinead Cusack even though only really a cameo role.

I only know the film. Watched it again last night - a little late this year. I suppose I love language so I'm a sucker for V's monologues, but it really is damn good.

tomtom

• forum hero
Watched Zero Dark Thirty last night.. really enjoyed it - how the tale of the chase of UBL evolved over the years after 9-11. It also (thankfully) had a not-too hollywoody gung ho Seal Team 7 bit at the end..
Well worth a watch..

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I watched the Catching fire last night. I really enjoyed it. It was much darker and a lot more political than the first book. Really well shot and not too long. At no point did I find a lul in the film it was a constently gripping. I think I prefered it to the hunger games. If you enjoyed the hunger games definately go see it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Killing Them Softly - Brad Pitt sent in to sort out the local criminal economy which has collapsed after a card game gets robbed. Set against the financial meltdown and 2008 US election it's nasty, dark, violent, funny and I really liked it. The parallel being drawn is obvious but it works.

Watched on the weekend, really enjoyed it. Fairly basic plot but some great characters and dialogue, and a totally amazing slow motion scene.

Evil

• addict
Yeah, quite enjoyed Killing them Softly too.

Watched something quite enjoyably silly last night - Grabbers about an alien invasion on a small island off the coast of Ireland where the aliens drink blood but can't tolerate alcohol in the bloodstream (they really picked the wrong place to arrive).

SA Chris

• forum hero
I also watched Attack of the Herbals

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1948521/

Which is "so bad it's good" silly crap redeemed only by the fact that it's filmed in my current hometown of Newtonhill as well as scenes in Stonehaven, Portlethen and Johnshaven. A couple of mildly amusing scenes, but generally not worth it.

Also watched (most of) "Surf Nazis Must Die" which is so bad it's fucking waful, and up there iwth "In God's Hands" as one of the crappest surf movies ever made (although I've never seen "the prince and the surfer")

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Not sure if been mentioned before but watched a French film called Untouchable the other night it was very very funny and a really good watch. Amazingly based on a true story too...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Not sure if been mentioned before but watched a French film called Untouchable the other night it was very very funny and a really good watch. Amazingly based on a true story too...
If I didn't mention it it must have slipped my mind - great film!  I didn't "get" the title for ages until I googled it. The direct translation of The Untouchables is waay off the mark.  What it means, apparently - my French is definitely not up to these levels of nuance -  is that both of the guys are social outcasts. In fact, "The Outcasts" is almost closer.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
If I didn't mention it it must have slipped my mind - great film!  I didn't "get" the title for ages until I googled it. The direct translation of The Untouchables is waay off the mark.  What it means, apparently - my French is definitely not up to these levels of nuance -  is that both of the guys are social outcasts. In fact, "The Outcasts" is almost closer.

Well that makes more sense, i wasn't 100% sure of its meaning. Great article here:
 http://plus.lefigaro.fr/note/based-on-a-true-story-intouchables-draws-crowds-20111115-599678

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Not sure who recommended it originally, but Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is fucking awesome! Watched it finally tonight, literally laughing out loud. I'd massively recommend We're the Millers for a similar effect, both are total nonsense, brain disengaged type stuff but stupidly funny.

Dr T

• forum hero
Prob' been mentioned before as I know there's a lot of Ghibli enthusiasts here but Mrs T and I finally go around to watching Castle in the sky last night, maybe not quiet as visually adventurous as later Ghibli but still beautiful,  funny and very engaging.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Hobbit 2 - took number one daughter to see it at the imax and thoroughly enjoyed it, much better than the first hobbit and the dragon was good, suspect it wont be as good on a small TV screen.  And yes, the purists might be upset as theres a few inaccuracies not in the book, but still, it was a good 8.5 or 9 out of 10. 

tomtom

• forum hero
Watched 'Man of Steel' (AKA superman) last night with MrsTT... Had some good moments and started well, but once the thought that Superman looked just like a roided up Andy Murray entered my head it was downhill :D It also did the seemingly obligatory CGI destruction of a city stuff towards the end *yawns* Theres plenty of worse films to stream/rent - but better ones as well...

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Secret Life of Walter Mitty - hmmm an interesting one, went on new years day with the mrs and can honestly say its odd, and thats from a guy that likes odd usually.  Wait for the video or go if you've really nothing else to see/do.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I thought Man of Steel was gash.  The Andy Murray on steriods comment made me laugh because it's true. :)

Recently I saw 12 Years a Slave which is excellent and well worth a watch although it's hard going at times, it's an incredible story.

Elysium was not what I was expecting at all after District 9 but I enjoyed it for what it was.

American Hustle  Jennifer Lawrence was the best thing about it, the film was alright but I wasn't blown away by it.

Gravity in 3D. It would have been better without the 3D, I think, it didn't add anything much to the film and detracted from the look of the background in a lot of the wider shots which was a shame, the film was alright but I wasn't blown away by it, I did like how it was shot though and the fact they had sort of tried to stay true to how things actually would be in space, mostly I was left with an overwhelming anxiety about being in space though. :)

12 Years a Slave is the only one I would tell people to see.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Mandela. Saw it at preview: great film. Just gritty enough with characters that matter. The timing doesn't hurt either.

Hobbit2: harmless clean fun. Better than the last one by far. Entertaining. Still obviously a couple of leagues below LOTR.

American hustle. Big surprise for me. Wasn't expecting much and found there was a lot to it. It starts off being rather American and swish but the characters deepen and it becomes a serious film with themes of human survival in the modern world, authenticity, and righteousness, while being great fun all the way. The missus concurs.

12 years without empathy, character development or a single unpredictable moment: I've re titled this film. It might make you feel all big and warm for going and caring about slavery but I wouldn't bother. It's not bad. It's perfectly watchable. Some good moments. But the whole thing lacks narrative, lacks characters and lacks decent editing.
Watch 'the butler' instead. Far better film! Highly recommended

:popcorn:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched a load of films over Christmas (mostly non festive). Those that stood out were:

Sightseers - Lots has been written about this already and I was expecting to be disappointed (I didn't really rate Down Terrace despite great reviews) but I wasn't. It's brilliant.

Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call - Had never heard of this until I saw a review in the Radio Times. Nothing to do with the mental Harvey Keitel 1993 film, it's Nicholas Cage as a "hero" cop who's gradually falling into a pit of drug / gambling / sex addiction. As we all know, Cage is either brillint or bloody awful and i think this is one of his best performances. The ending is a bit wank but it's a cracking film.

Troll Hunter - Remebered this from reviews on here (ta Fiend). Again I was a bit concerned that I'd hate it as I thought Blair Witch was shite but this is a vastly superior film. Funny, clever, engaging and I loved the trolls. Top stuff.

How To Train Your Dragon - Having watched tons of kids animated films they often blur into one but this is great. Looking forward to the sequel.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

:D

Should watch it again really. A gem.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

:D

Should watch it again really. A gem.

Was on Film4 over the last couple of weeks so keep an eye on their scheduling, it'll likely crop up again.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

SA Chris

• forum hero
How To Train Your Dragon - Having watched tons of kids animated films they often blur into one but this is great.

As someone said earlier, there's a TV series of it too, about 8  1/2 hour episodes, all the ones I've seen are good. It's on fairly often on CCBs.

Watched The Hurt Locker the other night, I don't think my pulse rate dropped for the entire film, gripping.

Also RED, good low maintenance fun, and Surrogates, which has a great premise, but also fairly low maintenance.

kelvin

• forum hero

Troll Hunter - Remebered this from reviews on here (ta Fiend). Again I was a bit concerned that I'd hate it as I thought Blair Witch was shite but this is a vastly superior film. Funny, clever, engaging and I loved the trolls. Top stuff.

Watched this last night after reading this - very different to what I expected. Laughed out loud, was nervous at times and the wet weather seemed to be easy to relate to of late. Good, very good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal