UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139899 times)

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil.

Now THAT is a funny film.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Another vote for Mud. Quality on all levels. Nice to see Matt Mc back on form, boy is he wasted on fricking romcoms.  :slap:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Forgot to mention his performance in Bernie. Excellent. Another great actor who's done a lot of shit films.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Never really a huge fan of Jackass, but Bad Grandpa was on last night and I mananged to watch the first half of it. Excruciatingly funny. Johnny Knoxville as 80-odd year old old fella and his grandson put members of the public in awkward positions. If I was older, it would have reminded me a bit of Beadles about. Don't know how it ended though. As I have just woken up on the sofa. Sorry.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Been watching quite a few foreign flicks recently, and the best for while has been Incendies. Simply a story of twin brother and sister handed an envelope each from their recently deceased mother, one saying Brother, one saying Father. The task is to find them, but neither knew who their father was, nor that they had a brother. The resulting tale is quite compelling and harrowingly unexpected.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
World War Z - great stuff. Taken on it's own merits as a zombie apocalypse semi-blockbuster loosely based on a rather good book, it just works. Varied, dramatic in places, and nicely done. Plenty of cliches and inconsistencies of course but the better scenes make up for it, Jerusalem spectacle, plane was pretty scarey, Israeli soldier was cool. Could have been a bit longer or even multi-part IMO as the background would have supported it.

tomtom

• forum hero
World War Z - great stuff. Taken on it's own merits as a zombie apocalypse semi-blockbuster loosely based on a rather good book, it just works. Varied, dramatic in places, and nicely done. Plenty of cliches and inconsistencies of course but the better scenes make up for it, Jerusalem spectacle, plane was pretty scarey, Israeli soldier was cool. Could have been a bit longer or even multi-part IMO as the background would have supported it.

I understand there is a sequel coming... (I like it)

rich d

• forum hero
I quite liked World War Z. Felt a bit rushed through, and did  feel set up for a sequel at the end - not that this is a bad thing. I was in Glasgow when they took over George Square for the week - amazing how long films take to film for what are shortish sequences. The problem I have with zombie/apocalypse movies is that I now compare these to the walking dead TV series, and for me they don't stack up.
Now someone needs to make a film out of the crossed wish you were here (although I suspect 18 cert may not be enough).

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Personally as much as I loved crossed if a fucked up comic got made into a film (or HBO series) I would prefer preacher or the boys to be made.

On comic book films I watch V for vendetta again last night as it was bonfire night. I had forgot how well that film was done almost had a tear in my eye at the end. No where near as detailed as the book but still a fantastic film. Some of the charctures are played unbelievably well espcially sinead Cusack even though only really a cameo role.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

bet they wished they'd called this one world war X now, leaving room for naming the sequels Y, Z.

tomtom

• forum hero

bet they wished they'd called this one world war X now, leaving room for naming the sequels Y, Z.

Yeah! where did the 'Zeee' come from anyway? ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I was in Glasgow when they took over George Square for the week - amazing how long films take to film for what are shortish sequences.
They cut the majority of the footage they shot in Glasgow out of the film, something to do with swapping director part way through filming or something?  I don't know the details but I watched them shooting other scenes and have friends who were extras and supposed to have small bit parts who filmed everything and then didn't make the film.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That's right and is why the film was so expensive and took ages to get made.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
If you guys enjoy zombie movies then I recommend R.E.C http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

A bit of a supernatural twist on zombies. Though it's intended more as a scare/horror flick rather than a blockbuster zombie apocalypse. Number 2 was also good and follows on from the first. Number 3 is terrible and makes no sense so don't watch it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Gravity - great stuff, really nicely done. Saw it in IMAX and 3D, definitely recommended, 3D is actually palatable to watch for a change as the film is an austere enough backdrop for it to work on. Wasn't sure what to make of it from the trailer but it's spot on - a sci-fi thriller that balances a narrow focus in a grand setting and a solid main character during gripping events. There's some sentimentality and implausability but anyone who goes in looking for inconsistencies doesn't deserve to watch films - the pacing and atmosphere are worth it alone.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Been watching quite a few foreign flicks recently, and the best for while has been Incendies. Simply a story of twin brother and sister handed an envelope each from their recently deceased mother, one saying Brother, one saying Father. The task is to find them, but neither knew who their father was, nor that they had a brother. The resulting tale is quite compelling and harrowingly unexpected.

I watched Incendies the other night and agree, a great story.  Its so refreshing to watch a foreign language film and a film without Hollywoods involvment.  A bit like climbing outside having spent the winter on plastic.   :bounce:

Oblivion was a bit average.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Rubber : as weird as you'd expect a film about a telekinetic psychopathic tyre to be.

Evil

• addict
Watched a couple of enjoyable films at the weekend - Odd Thomas which was fun and unusual, starring Anton Yelchin who plays Chekov in the new Star Trek movies as a guy who sees dead people (and unusually pretty much everyone else in the film accepts it). Based on some books by Dean Koontz apparently, though I'd not heard of it before.

Secondly Man of Tai Chi, which was a bit of guilty pleasure with Keanu Reeves playing his usual character (he also directed), and some good fighting from Tiger Hu Chen.

whealiebob

• regular
I'm glad it's not only me that has Man of Tai Chi as a guilty please. Yes, it's got Keanu being Keanu 'wooden' Reeves, but the fight scenes are great!!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The Internship - not great but mildly amusing in parts.

Man of Steel - gash, 2+ hours of my life I will never get back.   :wavecry:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Life of Pi - first film I've watched on new telly that has really blown me away with the amazing 3D effects. Story is pretty much as per book; a great little yarn, but the cinematography is pretty awesome.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Life of Pi - first film I've watched on new telly....
Oooo shiny shiny, what did you go for? The silver lining to getting burglarized at the weekend is I get to shop for a new telly, my 2010 one was well out of date!  ;D Think it has to be 3D this time just because...maybe we need a new thread.

SA Chris

• forum hero
50" Panasonic with some letters after it. Reward to ourselves for working ass off refurbing house. We got a combined Panasonic hard drive / 3D blue ray player late last year, so going for Panasonic seemed to make sense. I thought 3D was a gymmick until now, but I'm converted. I've also been watching BBC wildlife progs in HD (Africa, Arabia and Birdflight) and been amazed by quality. We weren't that fussed about 3D until now TBH, just that 3D on bigger tellies seems to be a standard. It cost about the same as the 36" we bought in 2006!

Only minor annoyance is you can't get lovefilm instant to stream direct, but can get netflix (firstworldproblems!). Samsung equivalent streams lovefilm direct if you want that option (seems there have been respective deals done).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Yeah we had a 42inch Panasonic, think I'm going for another but this time 3D. Samsung still has the edge on the software I think but most of the time we'll use the YouView box. I like the Panasonic build quality. The Lovefilm issue is the reason I went with a Sony blu-ray player (which has lovefilm streaming if we ever get around to using it!) unfortunately the Blu-Ray player isn't 3D so that'll need upgrading too (it didn't get taken  >:()

Are the BBC 3D progs from discs or iPlayer? Are any 3D progs broadcast for free?

SA Chris

• forum hero
BBC progs in HD, not 3D. Recorded on to digibox from BBC HD (fill a lot of space on digibox!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal