UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139610 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I love Aussie filmmaking.  Very different from Europe and the US.  Very worthwhile....

:agree: Samson and Delilah is one that I enjoyed.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Watched "half nelson" over the weekend.  Absolutely amazing film about a crack-addicted junior high teaching played by ryan goslin.  Pretty hard going but avoids lots of the addiction and race cliches, really worth a watch and for added geek value there are lots of cameos by people from the wire

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw World War Zeee... at the weekend. I quite liked it - some nice twists on your regular zombie fare and Brad actually did some acting... Not an over hollywood style ending either..

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
and Brad actually did some acting...

As opposed to what he did in "The Assassination of Jesse James....", "Fight Club", "Moneyball", "Inglourious Basterds", "Killing Them Softly", "Babel" etc?  Harsh.

tomtom

• forum hero
and Brad actually did some acting...

As opposed to what he did in "The Assassination of Jesse James....", "Fight Club", "Moneyball", "Inglourious Basterds", "Killing Them Softly", "Babel" etc?  Harsh.

Hmm.. fight club yes, Inglorious Basterds - I thought he just snarled and drawled through that... but I liked him in (I've forgotten its name) that Cohen bro's film where he's the thick gym instructor.. I prefer his roles where he's thick/comic - he does it quite well (and thats not meant to be facetious..)

Maybe I'm guilty of casting him in the same light as Keanau..

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I'd forgotten about the Coen film - Burn After Reading.  That he was memorable in such an average film is possibly the best proof of his skills.  Personally, when a film is really good or really bad, I find it tricky to disentangle whether or not I am rating/slating the performance or the film as a whole. 

I agree Brad Pitt does tend to coast through a lot of his roles on charisma though.  Still, there are a lot of much more lauded "serious" actors who have given pretty much the same performance in most of their films.   He's certainly a cut above Keanu.  More akin to Dicaprio - someone whose ability is under-rated because of his pretty-boy looks, despite putting in a decent shift in Djanjo Unchained, The Aviator, The Departed, Revolutionary Road, Romeo and Juliet etc. 

tomtom

• forum hero
I guess given the genre and title of the film, I was not expecting it to be character heavy - I was expecting a CGI action fest with some Brad posturing thrown into the mix.

It had that of course, but some good performances too...

Maybe I've just watched too many Oceans films... ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I thought Brad really acted well in Inglorious Basterds... very hard to play a deep Southerner with all the characterisations and vocal inflections needed.  'We're huntin' Nyhazis'.... "Bonjourno.." etc.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
A role in a Tarantino film is an absolute gift for any actor who wants to do some charismatic scenery chewing.  Not enough for some though.  Will Smith said in an interview that he turned down the Jamie Foxx part in Django because Tarantino refused to rewrite it to make his character the uncontested lead (rather than sharing the spoils with Christoph Waltz).  When Tarantino refused to rewrite so that Will Smith got to shoot DiCaprio, he instead chose After Earth.....

tomtom

• forum hero
I thought Brad really acted well in Inglorious Basterds... very hard to play a deep Southerner with all the characterisations and vocal inflections needed.  'We're huntin' Nyhazis'.... "Bonjourno.." etc.

I dunno - maybe I'm just down in IB as a Tarrantino hollywood circular wank fest.. It felt like two good scenes (the first mountain hut scene and the restaraunt/bar scene) strung together by weakly scripted self indulgent bollocks. I've watched it twice (cinema and DVD) and it still grates on me as really being a nothing of a film... Its so factually incorrect it could almost be a sci fi (if they were from planet XXX instead of natzees), and the characters were so over stereotyped it could have been a comedy. Allo allo anyone?

I really liked Django though..  and most of QT's other films (True Romance is my favourite - not sure why but it is)
but Inglorious Basterds is more Irritable Bowel to me..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
(True Romance is my favourite - not sure why but it is)

Because Tarantino only wrote the script rather than directed it?

andy popp

• forum hero
I haven't seen a single Tarantino film.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
When Tarantino refused to rewrite so that Will Smith got to shoot DiCaprio

Not that you are giving away an plot spoilers or anything. Cheers.

You are missing out Andy. He's done some good films. Blatant plaigarism of just about everything but done with style.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
When Tarantino refused to rewrite so that Will Smith got to shoot DiCaprio

Not that you are giving away an plot spoilers or anything. Cheers.

Well, those who haven't seen it, now know that the character Will Smith would have played doesn't get to shoot Dicaprio... that leaves a hell of a lot of alternatives!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Will Smith said in an interview that he turned down the Jamie Foxx part in Django because Tarantino refused to rewrite it to make his character the uncontested lead

2+2

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Watched The Place Beyond The Pines at the weekend, it was weird, I'm not really sure if I liked it or not, or if I even got it. :lol:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
IB is a turd of a film for the reasons above. Other QT films are pretty good fun.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched Amour last night.  Very moving and demanding of the viewer...  :'(

psychomansam

• forum hero
Watched The Place Beyond The Pines at the weekend, it was weird, I'm not really sure if I liked it or not, or if I even got it. :lol:
We are all far too used to neat little disneyesque hollywood films where all the correct emotions, ideas, responses and moral messages are pre-packaged and handed to you on a tray. What a load of fucking bullshit. Why should some response be the correct one, and who the fuck is hollywood to tell us what it is. I like films where it's less about 'getting' it and more about taking what you want, reading in your own interpretation and promoting interesting discussion and raising controversies with fellow film-goers. If it's comfortable and cellophane wrapped, then it's pointless and dull in equal measures.

Loved this film. Cheers for the reminder!
 :great:

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
I know a few of you may have seen this, but think it worth mentioning for anyone that missed it. The film is called Searching For Sugar Man, the story of an artist who's records flopped miserably back in the seventies and subsequently disappeared. The film is a documentary about his life and music, which to be quite honest is bloody brilliant. One of the best documentaries I've seen for a long time, not just because it opened my eyes to some great music but because it's been very well produced and honest.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Watched "only god forgives" the night before last, wanted to be arty but just ended up wank, terrible Ryan gosling film.
Last night watched "welcome to the punch" which was infinitely better, more a watchable film than a good film but after the previous nights entertainment became magnificent.
Out of all QT's films I probably enjoyed Django the least, but still quite liked it

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
I know a few of you may have seen this, but think it worth mentioning for anyone that missed it. The film is called Searching For Sugar Man, the story of an artist ....

Forgot to mention the guy's name is Rodriguez  :slap:

SA Chris

• forum hero
I mentioned him here when the film first came out.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=20503.0

As I said, he was huge in SA.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Sorry for straying slightly off topic, but I noticed this poster about on holidays.

We though it translated directly to "Me, Myself and I", can anyone with better french confirm? And also, how the hell do they get to that from Despicable Me??

psychomansam

• forum hero
They often change names of films internationally to make them 'work' better in whatever language.

I don't know why they didn't use 'moi meprisable'. The title above translates roughly as ugly and wicked me. Presumably they preferred the overtones of that than of the more direct translation. (Perhaps kids don't know the word 'meprisable', but then 'despicable' isn't the most common bit of vocab either. Perhaps it's an 'old fashioned' word or something).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal