UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139496 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Saw Oblivion the other day. Classic Tom Cruise, as in there is a shitload of money involved in it so it looks great, but found it quite seriously lacking. Possibly too predictable? Definitely felt like it had unrealised potential.

I quite liked it, and I'm happy to forgive its short-comings. A mish-mash of ideas and plot devices we've all seen before (makes for a fun game of spot the echo), but fairly solid story telling and some stunning visuals. It's been a long time since the opening scene of a sci-fi made me think oooh, pretty rather than yawn, another big space-ship.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Me and the sprog watched The Pirates the other day.

Up to the usual high standards of Aardman Animation with plenty in it for kids and adults and the added bonus of Brian Blessed as The Pirate King. Great stuff.

Stubbs

It's been a long time since the opening scene of a sci-fi made me think oooh, pretty rather than yawn, another big space-ship.

Has it already been a long time since Prometheus came out?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
'How to train your dragon' (which is ace and by the same team)

This is now on weekly rotation on our house. The 2 shorts "gift of the night fury" and "legend of the boneknapper dragon" are worth seeking out too.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
It's been a long time since the opening scene of a sci-fi made me think oooh, pretty rather than yawn, another big space-ship.

Has it already been a long time since Prometheus came out?

Opening scene was alien on a waterfall? Meh.

This is now on weekly rotation on our house. The 2 shorts "gift of the night fury" and "legend of the boneknapper dragon" are worth seeking out too.

Another vote for that. Brilliant. There's a series too.

rich d

• forum hero

Yep, very good, but not quite as good as the books

SA Chris

• forum hero
He's 3.5 , not quite reading novels yet. But will get him on them as and when.

Didn't know there was a series, not surprising. Hopefully on DVD by Xmas. Nice one.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Agree with Magpie and Jasper. I watched silver lining playbook when trying to sleep on a long a flight a moth or so a go.
Ended up watching the whole film and really enjoyed it.

might have to give this one another go - started watching it on a flight a little while back but stopped about 30-40 mins in as i thought it was complete rubbish...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
+1 for Silver Linings Playbook - nothing exceptional but entertaining and well done.  One of the few films I can actually remember having watched of late. I look at the "seen it" section of my blockbuster account and wonder whether I have early onset Alzheimers.

Other films that have actually persisted in my memory are:

Sightseers - Mike Leigh's Nuts in May crossed with In Bruge and the Wickerman. Like Carry On Camping acted out by psychopaths.

End of Watch - shakycam cop drama - cliched but had a smack of truth and captured my interest.  My crossword was abandoned.... and there is no higher praise than that!

Killing Them Softly - combination of grimy crime drama and State of the Nation address.  Good downbeat meatiness.

Killer Joe - as above but with the wider concerns replaced with unpleasantness.  Horribly compelling but hard to watch without feeling complicit in deeply distasteful misogyny.

Big disappointments were Seven Psychopaths - a waste of a great cast - not terrible I just expected so much more.  And, Les Miserable - too. much. singing!

psychomansam

• forum hero
Steel folk,
DocFest at Showroom (and all over) this weekend. Brilliant event.

We're off to see 'After Tiller +Q&A' in a wee bit - about late abortion doctors in america and the opposition they face. It's normally really interesting to hear what the filmmakers (and sometimes subjects) have to say about their films and to even pop off a question or two.
We're stopping off en route to watch half an hour or so of shorts on Howard Street (Hallam uni, opposite Showroom).

Loads of good shit on. Google and the World Brain is sold out sadly. http://sheffdocfest.com/events/films

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Perks of Being a Wallflower. Not the cheese fest it could of been. Good cast, great soundtrack, nice acting. Chick friendly. One for your Lovefilm list.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
The Impossible - Meh. Found it quite depressing rather than inspiring.

Gangster Squad - Very good. Josh Brolin is a bad ass!!

Flight - Far too long. Densel plays a great role as always but its way to strung outin the end.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched a great film on iPlayer last night.  Skeletons, about two exorcist type blokes who go around relieving troubled people from the skeletons in their closet.  One has been doing too much of the 'glowing' leading to difficulties.  They land up a house looking for a missing husband and things take a troubling turn.  A British independent flick that picked up some awards.  Really worthwhile and on iPlayer at the moment.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Watched a great film on iPlayer last night.  Skeletons, about two exorcist type blokes who go around relieving troubled people from the skeletons in their closet.  One has been doing too much of the 'glowing' leading to difficulties.  They land up a house looking for a missing husband and things take a troubling turn.  A British independent flick that picked up some awards.  Really worthwhile and on iPlayer at the moment.

Second that, can't beat a good british flick. Sightseers was also utmost quality.

Got round to watching The Mist the other night, few years old now. Horror with things appearing in the mist. Good suspense and the ending was proper dark.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I didn't really think that much of The Mist, the ending was brilliant though, it totally made the film for me.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Got round to watching The Mist the other night, few years old now. Horror with things appearing in the mist.

Imaginitive title. Can't be as good as The Fog

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080749/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Done to death, but watched Looper, pure class, spoiled only slightly by the silly facial prosthetics worn by JGL so that he looks more like Bruce Willis, but still doesn't anyway.

benpritch

• forum abuser

Hi FD, have you got a direct link, Iplayer search not turning up anything for skeletons. Maybe it expired on sunday. damn.

psychomansam

• forum hero

Hi FD, have you got a direct link, Iplayer search not turning up anything for skeletons. Maybe it expired on sunday. damn.

It expired, though I watched it before it did. Cheers for the shout.

crimp

Bit of a curveball.

Finally watched Fido. Strangely has Billy Connoly as said Fido. A domestic zombie in an alternate 1950s America after a zombie war.

Surprisingly good. Very funny, socio-political comment.

ps picked up the mist in charity shop. On my to watch pile.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Not currently available  >:(

Dr T

• forum hero
Just watched Coriolanus
Now I am a sucker for the Bard but I thought it was excellent
The adaptation for the screen was subtle but effective
Stole a couple of tricks from Baz Luhrmann  - narrator as a tv presenter etc
Well it worked for Romeo and Juliet so why not I guess
Anyways 8/10 and well worth a look see

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Cloud Atlas. I quite enjoyed it, wasn't quite sure what I felt at the end but was shot and portrayed very well. Must read the book.

I watched This is 40 last night, a kind of follow up to Knocked Up. I laughed a lot, and enjoyed it but thought it was pretty long for a typical film of its genre.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Has anyone seen Upstream Colour, Shane 'Primer' Carruth's new one? I'm wondering how much mind bending my head can take in this heat.

One for the Malick fan's by the look of it..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
A really good drama from Australia Lantana .  I love Aussie filmmaking.  Very different from Europe and the US.  Very worthwhile....

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Did anyone watch Miragemen at the Sheff Docu Fest?  Can't wait to see it.  The book is fantastic...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal