UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139525 times)

remus

• forum hero
Went to see Trance last night. Felt like there was potential but it was too fractured for my liking, spent too much time doing weird trippy shit and not enough time explaining what was going on.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
After being impressed by Gone Baby Gone, I watched Ben Assfleck's "The Town"

Was very good and enjoyable. Not setting the world on fire but well shot and engaging. I'm about to watch "That's my Boy" starring Adam Sandler, I'll report back.

ianto9

• player
i loved beasts of the southern wild,showed it too my m8's who promptly said it was shit,nothing weird as folk

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
That's my Boy was actually very good! Typical Adam Sandler comic stuff but made me lol which is rare and I would recommend it as a good chuckle. Its got Vanilla Ice in it!

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
i loved beasts of the southern wild,showed it too my m8's who promptly said it was shit,nothing weird as folk

Yeah, I really enjoyed this too.

Also worth a mention (if it hasn't had one already?) is Rust and Bone. I won't say too much, other than I thought it was brilliant - watch it!  :thumbsup:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Silver Linings Playbook - Really enjoyed this. De Niro is brilliant and Bradley Cooper surprisingly good playing the fucked up lead role. It's corny as fuck in many ways but who cares?

Wood FT

• forum hero
Silver Linings Playbook - Really enjoyed this. De Niro is brilliant and Bradley Cooper surprisingly good playing the fucked up lead role. It's corny as fuck in many ways but who cares?

I've avoided this one becuase it looked corny and the last film that I saw that dealt with a heavy issue in corny manner (50/50) was a steaming curler. Is it bearable?   

remus

• forum hero
Im not usually a 'corny as fuck' kinda guy but found Silver linings playbook pretty bearable.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I actually thought the way that the serious issue (mental health) was dealt with was, for the most part, pretty good and certainly very accurate in places. This is no heavyweight piece of cinema but it's good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Was going to add it to Lovefilm list before I forget, but noted it's been added as "high priority" by my dearest. No doubt that Bradley Cooper being it may have been a factor.

Watched the Adjustment Bureau the other night, liked the film all the way through; nice premise, good charcters, plot and acting but cheesy cop out ending.

Sanctum to watch tonight, some nice mindless James Cameron crap to wade through (not my choice either).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Watched The Croods, not as good as 'How to train your dragon' (which is ace and by the same team) but still nicely done. Set designers may have watched Avatar a fair few times. Weirdly a couple of short climbing sequences quite nicely done.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
SLP was my other half's nod to allowing a chick flick (which he will never usually watch) and we both really enjoyed it, it surprised me because I wouldn't have thought what is essentially a romantic comedy with dancing in it could possibly have appealed to the other half and actually he really enjoyed it.  It's a good film.  Saying that I liked 50/50 too so I am maybe not the best judge.

We watched Take Shelter at the weekend; it's weird, and totally not what I was expecting but it's good and well worth a watch.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Beasts of the Southern Wild is great. Like many films I enjoy, not really a popcorn film.

Trance. Not bad. Not massively memorable. It couldn't quite decide whether to be clever or entertaining.

In the house (Dans le Maison) - great film. A little creepy and, despite a slow pace, it was gripping and funny with an unpredictable ending. (Membership to the showroom is great, especially for students.)

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Agree with Magpie and Jasper. I watched silver lining playbook when trying to sleep on a long a flight a moth or so a go.
Ended up watching the whole film and really enjoyed it.

I also liked 50/50 I bought the film cause I like the guy who played the kid Third rock from the sun and seth rogan is funny I did not know the premise of the film. I was expecting a bit of a gross out comedy / stoner film. But I enjoyed the film anyway

Dr T

• forum hero
Watched The Croods, not as good as 'How to train your dragon' (which is ace and by the same team) but still nicely done.
How to train your dragon 2 is apparently in production and out next summer - for those with smalls that like the original the short - Gift of the nightfury" is rather good if you can pick it up for a couple of quid at tesco's or the like.

On a completely different note watched about half of Cell 211 the other day - must be getting old or something but whilst it is undoubtedly excellent in direction acting etc etc I couldn't bring myself to continue watching with the tragic direction it was heading in - pulled at the same heart strings (but in a much more violent way) as say Beast of the Southern Wild or Into the Wild - both of which I did sit through and did feel enlightened for the experience but wouldn't say I enjoyed....

That said I haven't had much luck with popcorn films either of late, after being pleasantly surprised by both Avengers Assemble and X-men First Class (as a comic book geek I'm often rather disappointed by the films - the Nolan Batman trilogy is given an exception as I am happily blind to everybody elses problems with them and think they are genious) Mrs T and I finally sat down to watch Wolverine - it's shit....  >:(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You big girls blouse T! ;)

Cell 211 is an amazing film. You're right though, it's pretty harsh.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Sanctum to watch tonight, some nice mindless James Cameron crap to wade through (not my choice either).

I was right, it's fucking terrible. Some pretty scenes, but I could have guessed the outcome in the first 10 minutes. How many cliches can you cram into one film? A remarkable amount. Also confirms cave diving looks like some shit I never want to get involved in and wouldn't even if I did love caving, or diving.

lukeh

• addict
Saw Oblivion the other day. Classic Tom Cruise, as in there is a shitload of money involved in it so it looks great, but found it quite seriously lacking. Possibly too predictable? Definitely felt like it had unrealised potential.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero

I was right, it's fucking terrible. Some pretty scenes, but I could have guessed the outcome in the first 10 minutes. How many cliches can you cram into one film? A remarkable amount. Also confirms cave diving looks like some shit I never want to get involved in and wouldn't even if I did love caving, or diving.
I watched that a while ago, I concur it was very predictable and a bit rubbish.

Durbs

• forum hero
Watched Machete the other night - much fun in a trashy pastiche kind of way.
Some wonderfully bad lines and genuinely funny moments.
Hardly Oscar material, but a good Friday night & beer film.

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw the new Bourne thing (not mat Damon) the other day.. Thought it was alright.. Nice take on the franchise.. Worth tagging on love film etc but it won't change your life.

SA Chris

• forum hero
The Ides of March

Went to see this last week. Serviceable entertainment, good performances, slick direction, yet unspectacular - it seemed to be missing punch at the end. Certainly a worthwhile watch though.

Just got round to watching this and agree. Just seemed to bimble along through a collection of cliched set pieces without really going anywhere. I expected a climactic event, but realised in hindsight that Gosling and Clooney "outstraighfacing" each other was meant to be the climax of the film. OK, but unltimately unfulfilling.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I have been to see 2 films recently.

Number 1 - Love is All You Need.  Hmmm...  Went with the parents since I'm home for a few weeks and they were paying. The most memorable part of the night was the Brewdog Jackhammer afterwards. Mmmmmm hoppy goodness to wake up my tastebuds after a winter of French blandness.  The film? Light, fluffy and full of clichéd characters, but quite a good performance from the leading lady and old Pierce wasn't too bad either. Watchable, but pretty lame.

Number 2 - Night train to Lisbon.  Great performance from Jeremy Irons, gently paced but highly engaging. Thoughtful, introspective and well directed. The lass and I both enjoyed it.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

Number 2 - Night train to Lisbon.  Great performance from Jeremy Irons, gently paced but highly engaging. Thoughtful, introspective and well directed. The lass and I both enjoyed it.

For some reason I decided to check out some reviews of this film. I have since learnt a new word: "Europudding" which apparently means "Mundane and totally mediocre...Usually lacking originality and style". Hmm...

I have also learnt that I appear to differ in opinion from the three reviewers. Oh well. Funnily enough all three reviews described it by the same term. Is this because it was as described, or a bad case of bandwagon jumping???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal