UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139375 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Finally got around to watching Moon last night. Really good and makes you think.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Cockneys versus zombies

absolutely fucking brilliant from start to finish.

Apologies if it's already been recommended.

I wanted to like this but it came across as a school production of Shaun of the Dead, apart from Richard Briar's chase scene, which was inspired.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
watched this as well the other night. a good watch if you like cheesy zombie stuff.
Mentioned it to someone at work who said it was aweful

a dense loner

• forum hero
Watched movie 43 the other day, bizarre. Moments of laugh out loud comedy genius mixed with moments of thats totally unfunny. Couldn't make it's mind up as a film but quite enjoyable really if only for its complete randomness

crimp

If you come to it expecting a class film i think you'd be disappointed.

I just watched it as a huge long term zombie genre fan, expecting a riotous zom com and wasn't disappointed.

The scenes, like zimmer frame zombie chase were inspired, and plentiful.

Admittedly, many of the individual scenes are better than the film as a whole.

As a bonus, it heavily lampoons that awful Mr madonna fellas cack films.

After a couple of watchings i even reckon its got the edge on shaun (my daughter thinks this is heresy, but everything in shaun had pretty much been done by pegg in spaced)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Just watched bullhead. Can highly recommend it for anyone who likes watching kids having their balls smashed off with rocks by psychos.

That's not a plot-spoiler is it?! On Kermode & Mayo t'other day they alluded to a traumatic event in the lead character's childhood...

Well it wasn't 'til you added that.

chillax

• forum abuser
Been laid up in Squamish with a busted ankle, no job, and a lot of time on my hands recently. Made the happy discovery of the Kermode-Mayo film review podcast, and have been getting through some of the recommendations. Here are my findings:

Zero Dark Thirty: Really good, engrossing, with understated character development from the leading lady.

Argo: Tense, gripping, and interesting portrayal of the political situation of the time. Excellent.

Django: Steaming pile from start to end. Several hours I'm not getting back.

Looper: Good timey-wimey action flick, but plot holes you could drive a north american car through.

Source Code: Amazing. best film I've seen in years. Along the same lines as looper, but done better

Plattsy

• forum hero
Looper: Good timey-wimey action flick, but plot holes you could drive a north american car through.
Yeah? hmmm go on then what were they?  :-\

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
In the last couple of days we've watched:

The Angel's Share - Nothing to do with slab climbing, it's Ken Loach doing comedy. Well, I told Mrs S it was a comedy but being Ken Loach it's not exactly Dumb and Dumber. It's worth watching, predictable but has some great moments.

Seven Psychopaths - Brilliant cast, totally daft, very entertaining.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Seven Psychopaths - Brilliant cast, totally daft, very entertaining.

and soundtrack. Watched Stolen last night. Nicolas Cage at his very worst. Proper wonk B flick.

lukeh

• addict
Yeah? hmmm go on then what were they?  :-\

I thought it was fairly widely acknowledged that a time travel film is likely to have plot holes, what with time travel not existing and all...

but its easy to find lists for looper, if you want lmgtfy.

Heres a good one to get you started, as it doesnt even rely on some time travel paradox (from movieplotholes.com)

NSFW  :
Why even have Loopers at all? Each Looper is established as having his own designated execution spot, which doesn’t have any specific preparation except for putting a little plastic tarp down. So if the future evil crime time travel machines can drop their victims anywhere on Earth… why not program them to drop their victims at the bottom of the ocean, inside a volcano, over a pit of sharks with frikkin’ laser beams, or some other inescapable death trap? Apparently, the super evil crime lords of the future picked a complete idiot to run their Looper program, since Abe decided the best way to dispose of people was to have idiot junkies kill them alone out in the middle of nowhere without any way to definitely guarantee that the victim has been actually killed.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'm like Homer Simpson with a "DO NOT PRESS" button looking at that post. Not watched Looper yet.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Caught the later half of The Kite Runner on BBC4 last night, I'll be seeking out a cheap second hand DVD (or waiting for a repeat).

tomtom

• forum hero
NEDS Watched it on DVD last night and thought it was really good. gritty stuff. Interestingly the chap who plays the father wrote and directed it - so I suspect most of it reflects his youth...

Plattsy

• forum hero
Wished I'd not asked. If I wanted to google the plot holes I would've. Shit I bet I can google plot holes for every film ever flipping made. I wanted to know what Chillax thought the plot holes were. I admit I didn't sit there and pick the shit out of the film cos I was enjoying it.

I've looked quickly at the holes and meh. So what. Still a good film.

I once read a book about a boy who could talk to the dead and had a conversation with Mobius from which he was able to calculate a way to travel through space, time and dark anti matter higgs bosens to another world populated by vampires. I was somewhat dubious about him being a boy. That's proper grown up shit right there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I once read a book about a boy who could talk to the dead and had a conversation with Mobius from which he was able to calculate a way to travel through space, time and dark anti matter higgs bosens to another world populated by vampires. I was somewhat dubious about him being a boy. That's proper grown up shit right there.

I once read a book about a boy who was was going to school to learn to do magic. I was somewhat dubious because it was shit.

Dr T

• forum hero
Beasts of the Southern Wild
saw it at the art's center this evening
excellent but not sure I enjoyed it
had an over arching sense of uneasiness
not unlike into the wild
another very good film I don't want to see again

iain

• forum abuser
That's a blast from the past, necroscope, I remember it being brilliant, wonder if it still is.

Re: looper, it was fun to watch, sometimes it's not worth digging too deeply.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Looper was brilliant.

Source Code was almost as good.

Can't imagine liking one and not liking the other  :???:

Obviously there are going to be ""plot holes"", I suspect even the most seriously scientific exposition of time travel and/or alternate realities would be full of plot holes, unless bloody Hawkings or slackbot wrote it.

tomtom

• forum hero
"Red Hill"

A good Australian film about a new cop moving to a rural district then getting embroiled in a manhunt (escaped killer stylee). Strong performances, nice plot - well worth a view. SPOILER: No time travel involved at all..  ;)

Plattsy

• forum hero
That's a blast from the past, necroscope, I remember it being brilliant, wonder if it still is.

Re: looper, it was fun to watch, sometimes it's not worth digging too deeply.

That's the badger. Read about 10 of the necroscope books and really enjoyed them.

Back to films. Watched Avengers Assemble last night it's really very good. Especially enjoyed the Hulk's riposte to Loki.

chillax

• forum abuser
Looper was brilliant.

Source Code was almost as good.

Can't imagine liking one and not liking the other  :???:

I didn't dislike Looper, but thought Source Code was miles better. My main beef with Looper is that at 2 separate points in the film there are nods to the audience, essentially saying " Don't think about the time travel stuff, it'll confuse you. Just go with it". I won't go into specifics, as you can find those for yourself if you look for them and I don't want to spoil it. It was entertaining, but I prefer movies that don't start to fall down the more you think about them.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Looper last night. Thought it was pretty good but have to agree with chillax that Source Code is a MUCH better film of that type of genre. Looper was fun whereas Source Code is actually very clever.

Gotta love Bruce though!  :clap2:

Oh and I've mentioned it before but if you like time travel shit then you really need to watch this.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/

...which is superb.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Not exactly a film, but I watched three episodes of the first series of Game Of Thrones on TV last night and was well impressed.

Started the books in desperation whilst spending (what felt like) the last several weeks lying in bed coughing, and was pleasantly surprised. Not really Tolkien-ish at all - as far as I've got it's basically the Wars of the Roses (with a few dead dragons lying around and so-far peripheral subplot involving zombies). Great fun.

And the TV series, I found, was that rare thing, an adaptation that actually added to rather than detracting from the books.

(Furthermore, I was schooled from an early age to either admire anything with Sean Bean in it or be scorned by my mother and sister)

Plattsy

• forum hero
I love the Game of Thrones books and TV series. Watched the first two seasons quite a few times. The production is probably the best I've seen for a TV show and certainly stays pretty true to the books... so far. The 3rd season is on in April/May time.
I'm on book 6 of 7 and I'm flagging a little bit (well a lot really). Just lost a bit of motivation for them. Really enjoyed them so far.

Just watched Hugo. Thought it was going to be an animation so was a little surprised it wasn't. Thought it was really good mixing fact and fiction (it's based on a book called "The invention of Hugo Cabret) and taught me a bit about George Melies. Excellent film for all the family.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal