UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139284 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Watching the 'speed dreams' on BBC2 reminded me of 'World Fastest Indian' which I may have recommended previously, but still worth a  watch/rewatch. Also highlighted quite what an achievement his 1967 record was, it still stands.

yeah fuck Les Mis this just had me welling up. Great Film, AMAZING story

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I saw Zero Dark Thirty at the weekend, it was ok but I didn't really get all the hype about it or see why she'd been nominated for best actress recently.  I suspect it a lot of people loved it just because it was about getting Osama. :))

B-Bird

• regular
Another vote for Django......... great film.

Wood FT

• forum hero
I saw Zero Dark Thirty at the weekend, it was ok but I didn't really get all the hype about it or see why she'd been nominated for best actress recently.  I suspect it a lot of people loved it just because it was about getting Osama. :))

I didn't mind it, though it felt a bit 'Homeland - The Movie' and because of this seemed better suited for the small screen. Grim torture realism as well.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I thought it was a bit like Homeland too, but shitter. :)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Another vote for Django......... great film.
I saw Django Unchained at the weekend, it's is indeed fantastic.  I wasn't expecting much since it was sold to me as a Western but I loved it, definitely worth a watch.

For the first 90 minutes I would agree but the last 30-45 mins was some the worst film making QT has ever done, it was just unbelievably lazy and without any of the wit or edge that made the first section good. 
Oh yes and the Aussie accents????????????? WTF  :shit: :shit: :shit:
Avoid like the plague because the last section of the film destroys all the good work the rest of it puts in.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Really?  I thought the ending was the weakest part of the film but I definitely wouldn't say it destroyed the rest of it, it's a three hour film, the last half hour or so wasn't the best but overall I still thought it was really good.

I wonder if there was some reason for the Aussie accents?  QT had (a very bad) one so I thought maybe it was some sort of in joke thing that I just didn't get.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
I wonder if there was some reason for the Aussie accents?  QT had (a very bad) one so I thought maybe it was some sort of in joke thing that I just didn't get.
I read an interview somewhere that he basically rewrote the ending in half an hour, so if it was a joke it was a pretty ill thought out one (I only discovered this after seeing it and hating it). 
I honestly thought the ending utterly ruined it, it was completely incongruous with the style, tone and quality of the first 2 hours, it was just like "I couldn't be bothered thinking of a coherent ending, so here is something a just crapped out in my cigarette break".

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Saw Another Earth http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1549572/ and Sound of My Voice http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748207/ recently.
Both interesting. Kind of sci fi, time travel, Donnie Darko, but more linear and quite mellow.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Really?  I thought the ending was the weakest part of the film but I definitely wouldn't say it destroyed the rest of it, it's a three hour film, the last half hour or so wasn't the best but overall I still thought it was really good.

Saw this last night and thought it was fantastic.

Agree with you about the last section, it was weaker than the rest of the film but still good in my opinion. And yes QT's cameo was pretty dire...

mark s

• junky
watched 2 last week
hurt locker-thought it was boring and no where near as good as i expected
goon-thought it was going to be poo,but enjoyed it.worth watching

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento

Good introduction on the most recent Guardian film podcast along the lines of:

"Today we'll be looking at a film about a tall, softly spoken, charismatic leader who was gunned down and later became an inspiration to millions... but enough about Zero Dark Thirty and lets look at Lincoln."

tomtom

• forum hero
Just watched "Another Earth" from lovefilm etc.. Really good - not what I was expecting, a very touching tale...

crimp

Cockneys versus zombies

absolutely fucking brilliant from start to finish.

Apologies if it's already been recommended.

rich d

• forum hero
Saw les miserables yesterday afternoon. Didn't expect to like it as musicals aren't really my thing, but got to say it was pretty bloody good.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Just watched bullhead. Can highly recommend it for anyone who likes watching kids having their balls smashed off with rocks by psychos.
Dark, brooding and uncomfortable. Not at all bad. Wouldn't watch it again if you paid me though.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Flight, typical Denzel film, it was ok but I wouldn't rave about it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Heads up on a film thats on Film4 tonight Breathless

IMDB

About gangster culture and its pointless/endless cycle.

tj

• regular
Just watched bullhead. Can highly recommend it for anyone who likes watching kids having their balls smashed off with rocks by psychos.

That's not a plot-spoiler is it?! On Kermode & Mayo t'other day they alluded to a traumatic event in the lead character's childhood...

tomtom

• forum hero

That's not a plot-spoiler is it?! On Kermode & Mayo t'other day they alluded to a traumatic event in the lead character's childhood...

Its alien hedgehogs in flying butternut squashes, controlled by Jamie Oliver via a bin lid on his head...

tj

• regular
Oh, the humanity...

TBF, probably was gonna give this one a miss anyway- sounds distinctly like Tyrannosaur- very well made, but utterly unpleasant.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Oh, the humanity...

TBF, probably was gonna give this one a miss anyway- sounds distinctly like Tyrannosaur- very well made, but utterly unpleasant.

Try Eden Lake instead, all about a romantic camping weekend.....  ;)

rich d

• forum hero
I quite like gore and horror, but I found Eden Lake a truly unpleasant film.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I've zero intention of ever watching it again.

mark s

• junky
watched a docu/film called wasteland,really good.worth watching

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal