UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139419 times)

Teaboy

• forum hero
Nice one. I was about to swap from Netflix to LoveFilm so the timing couldn't be better.

Why are you swapping from Netflix to LoveFilm? We've been with LoveFilm on the postal service but now we have unlimited broadband I thought we'd change to Netflix as it looks good

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
All reports I've heard have said that the choice of content on Netflix is pretty shit.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Nice one. I was about to swap from Netflix to LoveFilm so the timing couldn't be better.

Why are you swapping from Netflix to LoveFilm? We've been with LoveFilm on the postal service but now we have unlimited broadband I thought we'd change to Netflix as it looks good

Very limited content.  It increased quite a lot over the Summer but has really slowed since then.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Apparently there's another Black Friday deal coming up for love film this evening.

Stubbs

Netflix has better streaming quality (on my computer anyway) and is better for american TV shows, but has less films.  Having said that it does have a lot of old films that LoveFilm didn't have online.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
I watched ARGO last night, a really good film with a bizarre mix of a killing fields and frankly rude LA  humour. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Netflix has better streaming quality (on my computer anyway) and is better for american TV shows, but has less films.  Having said that it does have a lot of old films that LoveFilm didn't have online.

Lovefilm's online content is still pretty poor but growing fast. The only times I've streamed from it (using IPad) I've had no problems with streaming. At the end of this next 6 month deal I'm going to have another look and see how both have improved. Need to sort out an unlimited broadband service first!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
If you haven't seen it (or even if you have) set the timer for Micmacs on late tonight on C4. I rate it as one of Jeunets best. Also Big Lebowski on in 5mins on itv4.  8)

Dr T

• forum hero
Violent Cop
Beat Takeshi's first and possibly his best - amazed it's passed me by up until now....

Davo

• obsessive maniac
Saw End of watch last night and thought it was pretty good. Hadn't heard much about it but really liked it and thought the sound track was good as well.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Outside Bet last night based mainly on Kermode's review here.

Despite being totally far fetched, we really enjoyed it. Great cast, fine performances, a nice feel of the time and the backdrop of Murdoch smashing the printers (along some proper LOLZ) made up for the sometimes daft, totally obvious storyline and the plot flaws (I know of no on course bookie who would accept a £12k bet on a 20/1 shot!). If you don't think too hard, it's an enjoyable romp.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The new Total Recall which was better than I expected, although I don't really remember the first one so it was like watching a new film rather than a remake which might have helped.  Battleship which was pretty rubbish and very cheesy and Lawless which was also much better than I expected, if you can get over the fact that Tom Hardy grunts more than he talks.  ;D

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

Lovefilm's online content is still pretty poor but growing fast. The only times I've streamed from it (using IPad) I've had no problems with streaming. At the end of this next 6 month deal I'm going to have another look and see how both have improved. Need to sort out an unlimited broadband service first!

Got my logon working last night and I have to say the LoveFilm online film catalogue is miles more extensive and of a higher quality than Netflix.  Netflix also don't do the DVD in the post thing either so I'm glad I switched.

Watched The Guard last night which was absolutely brilliant.  Best flick I've seen in a long time.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Skyfall - Really good. Saw it at the IMAX last night. Thoughts:

Overall – Good action, decent plot and they’ve managed to install the “cast” for the next one. Bonzer!

What?

You are kidding aren't you?

The plot was preposterous, inconsistent, and far-fetched.

Great fun though and well put together and crafted, but sheesh.

Had it been a "real" mission the film would have been over even before Ms Adkins Soul/pop-infused stylings

[Why did the automatic brakes - fitted onto every train in the World not activate when the hoses between the carriages were severed?

Why did "Eve" have a high-powered sniper rifle that only contained one bullet?]

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Got my logon working last night and I have to say the LoveFilm online film catalogue is miles more extensive and of a higher quality than Netflix.  Netflix also don't do the DVD in the post thing either so I'm glad I switched.

Watched The Guard last night which was absolutely brilliant.  Best flick I've seen in a long time.

Took the same deal and just watched this as a first stream, came here to say how good it is and noticed FD got there first.  Absolutely loved it.

galpinos

• forum hero
What?

Hmm, have you forgotten you were watching a Bond film? It's not meant to be realistic, it's a fantasy spy action thriller! As you said, great fun.

But, just to humour you....

Had it been a "real" mission the film would have been over even before Ms Adkins Soul/pop-infused stylings

That'd make a great movie wouldn't it.......

Why did the automatic brakes - fitted onto every train in the World not activate when the hoses between the carriages were severed?

Is this a problem you have with every film that takes a little artistic license?

Why did "Eve" have a high-powered sniper rifle that only contained one bullet?

She did but "froze" having just shot Bond?

In general, I do think that they were tied a bit with the anniversary thing, hence the going back to Skyfall but still thought it was avery enjoyable Bond romp with good acting and characters.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
If you haven't seen it (or even if you have) set the timer for Micmacs on late tonight on C4. I rate it as one of Jeunets best. Also Big Lebowski on in 5mins on itv4.  8)

Second on the micmacs quality :)  Simply fun

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Watched Sinister the other night and found it the most enjoyable horror I've seen in a while.
Bourne Legacy was turd and didn't come close to the Matt Damon films.
The most exotic marigold hotel was great with a superb cast and quality acting from some true legends.
Paranorman - turned it off after 25mins. Shite
Total Recall - poor

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
What?

Hmm, have you forgotten you were watching a Bond film? It's not meant to be realistic, it's a fantasy spy action thriller! As you said, great fun.

But, just to humour you....

That'd make a great movie wouldn't it.......

Why did the automatic brakes - fitted onto every train in the World not activate when the hoses between the carriages were severed?

Is this a problem you have with every film that takes a little artistic license?

Why did "Eve" have a high-powered sniper rifle that only contained one bullet?

She did but "froze" having just shot Bond?

In general, I do think that they were tied a bit with the anniversary thing, hence the going back to Skyfall but still thought it was avery enjoyable Bond romp with good acting and characters.

I never said I didn't like it. <Sorry>

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
As we had a power cut this morning I went out.

And saw "Seven Pschopaths"

I enjoyed it enormously.

[And yeah. I can point out at least three gaping plot holes in it.

And the (self-referenced) mysoginy inside the entire film.

But I liked it.

So there!]

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched The Town on DVD.  Directed by Ben Affleck and with some of the cast members from Gone Baby Gone.  Really good heist movie set in Charlestown, Boston.  The version I watched was the extended cut which is apparently much better than the theatrical release.

Worthwhile.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Good shout, I'll give it a try. I enjoyed Gone Baby Gone and thought Casey Affleck was good in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Just been to go and see Affleck Snr's latest offering, Argo:  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/argo_2012/ ... which is incredibly tense, and pretty compelling. I am slightly unsure about the moral position of using a political situation like the one depicted as a form of entertainment, but it is a very good story, an entertaining movie, and a great performance by Affleck.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
J ... which is incredibly tense, and pretty compelling. I am slightly unsure about the moral position of using a political situation like the one depicted as a form of entertainment......

Isn't it a largely true story?  In which case it's probably quite fitting; first, entertainment was used to further politics; then politics was used as a form of entertainment.  All very "meta" - give it a few years and Affleck will be kidnapped by one of the Iranian protagonists annoyed at his casting and the cycle will repeat.   Or, it will be revealed that the filming of Argo was cover for Ben to sneak over a border and break into a nuclear facility.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
My nervousness about the subject matter (which is 'based on' as they say, actual events) which is essentially using a bungled US foreign policy decision, and salvaging a story about the good guys coming up smiling at the end. Admittedly Argo (being produced by Clooney and Affleck) has a 'left-ish' bias, at least as far as a US political spectrum is concerned. But the fact remains that though it mentions the fall of the Shah, and the subsequent political turmoil in the country, it is all rather subordinate to the main thrust of the movie (Affleck looking cool, and rescuing the beleaguered embassy staff).

All that said, it's still a good movie. Unlike Black Hawk Down, which is stunningly directed and shot, but unbearable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal