UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1140324 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Finally got round to watching Driver, and while I thought it was pretty good, it didin't quite live up to (possbily overhyped) expectations, with Gosling playing his usually minimalist verging on wooden character. Great soundtrack though. Maybe better on big screen?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Yeah, I think it's a film to be enjoyed at the cinema. Too easy to drift off and think about other things at home.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I was rather underwhelmed by Drive (viewed at home).

galpinos

• forum hero
Finally got round to watching Driver,

Driver? I assume you mean Drive?

It's like listening to your Dad trying to be cool but getting the name slightly wrong....... ;)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog

It's like listening to your Dad trying to be cool but getting the name slightly wrong....... ;)

:lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Did however watch TT Closer to the Edge and thought that was awesome (and the riders are fucking loons!).

galpinos

• forum hero
Anna Karenina - Really enjoyed this. Matthew McFadden, Jude Law and Kiera Kneightley were all very, very good, as was the set/effects. The missus reckoned Vronsky wasn't fit enough so Anna's actions seemed a little unbelievable but all in all a good watch, especially for a period drama which isn't exactly my favourite genre.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Drive / Driver, whatever. I am a Dad, and I've never, ever been cool. And I really don't give a fuck.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
another vote for judge dredd,just shows that good action films don't require a massive budget.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You're all dicks. Drive is fucking class.

Interesting to hear lots of positivity for Dredd. I'd written it off but might have to have a look.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

If you're into watching navel gazing!  :tease:

tomtom

• forum hero
Maybe Chris put an r when he meant to put an l...

SA Chris

• forum hero
I was going to make that comment after galpinos's comment but it was actually ok just not quite up to the hype

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
Did however watch TT Closer to the Edge and thought that was awesome (and the riders are fucking loons!).

"Riders are fucking loons"  Small understatement; I offer full on certifiable crazy death wish on steroids.

Second your recommendation for this very enjoyable film/documentary.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I had forgot to give 21 Jump Street a mention, very good if you like easy watching comedy  :lol:

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Mrs S was not sure at first but by the end agreed that it was actually very funny.

21 Jump Street was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, the cameos were good.   :)

WHAT THE FUCK???!!! Maybe I'd had too much to drink and it was actually shit.  :P ;)

In the same (easy watching Sunday night comedy) vein we also watched Date Night recently which is also recommended, particularly for anyone who is married and sometimes has "issues" with their other half (as in everyone who is married).

tomtom

• forum hero
After a vicous coup, MrsTT has finally taken full control of our LoveFilm account.....

However, I have managed to quell the unending MOTD disrupting stream of Vampire/RomComs/Period Drama's by 'pretenting' to post the films back to LoveFilm and 'accidentally' leaving them in my work bag for a week or so every time....

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
nice one tomtom :)
Now just change the password and e-mail account the love film account is connected to and blame a technical fault that should buy you are few more weeks (or a domestic)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I need to change the settings on my Netflix account mine as I gave the password to my sister and now my Facebook profile tells me and my friends every time she watches something so over the last week "I've" given 5 stars to Beaches, 50 first dates, Streetdance 3 and several other masterpieces. 

Whilst she's been enjoying my Netflix account I've been watching the Herzog/Kinski DVD box set which is brilliant.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Nice one FD me and the missus watched My Best Fiend not long ago, very good. Still trying to get her to watch Fitzcarraldo. The documentary about the making of it, Burden of Dreams is worth checking, shame they didn't include it the box set.

Watched Prometheus last night, bit disappointed to be honest. Gives you a lot to think about it, shame the actual story is so full of holes. It's hard to take its high concept themes seriously when the mapping expert gets lost and someone forgets to run sideways. 

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Nice one FD me and the missus watched My Best Fiend not long ago, very good.

"It was not good... it was MONUMENTAL!"

I watched Into the Abyss recently - okay but not up there with Herzog's best documentaries (Grizzly Man, My Best Fiend, Little Dieter, Encounters at the End of the World).  To me, it came across as bunch of isolated interviews with unsympathetic losers - no real narrative or core "presence" to it.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Having seen Drive last night I agree, it is brilliant.  Amazing, intelligent cinematography, and a great soundtrack which is used really well within the narrative.

I thought Gosling was good, making the way his character snaps shocking, yet believable. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
Watched Contagion last night. Star studded cast, tedium studded plot.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Imposter

Bloody amazing.  Took Stu's advice - read no reviews, find out nothing, just go and see it, and that is definitely worthwhile.  :popcorn:

TobyD

• forum hero
Looper

Had seen it described as this decade's Matrix. It is an awful lot better than that. The first half hour is a little weak, but it gets notably more interesting. Well worth seeing, and quite a bit darker (and a bit more intelligent) than you might expect from a big budget movie with Bruce Willis and lots of guns.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal