UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139479 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I had forgot to give 21 Jump Street a mention, very good if you like easy watching comedy  :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Another remake? There's nothing new under the sun.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
21 Jump Street was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, the cameos were good.   :)

anyone see god bless america?
Yes, I loved it, thought it was a great film and well worth a watch.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
*crosses off list*

SA Chris

• forum hero

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
maybe you need to be bought into the Gotham universe to really "get" it maybe not

No, you don't. I've never read a Batman comic and still thought it was great. I think conversely some people can get so wrapped up in their vision of the Batman world that they'd dismiss it because it doesn't fit that vision, more fool them.

It was very much a mixture of the first and the second films, and whilst that means on it's own merits it was pretty much as great as they were, I did find it didn't quite have the distinctiveness nor the power to triumph as the finale. Nevertheless, all the hallmarks of grittiness, layers and depth, strong characters, action and spectacle, and well put together enough to be gripping for 2.44 hours.

Favourite bits: Bane (really came across as a dehumanized psychopathic thug), the human drama with BW / Albert / Blake etc, the action of Bane isolating the city.

Least favourite: Some other action not as gripping as the bigger picture, Bane's demise quite weak, some of the plot wasn't as tense as it could be.

andy_e

• forum hero
Attempted to sleep through the new Batman this afternoon.

I would have done if it wasn't so cold in the cinema!

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

I have to strongly disagree with Fiend re: Total Recall, the new version looks terrible. Ok, so they've found two very good looking ladies and made them fight and kept the alien with 3 breasts but this seriously didn't need a remake and for heavens sake, it was originally an Arnie movie, it doesn't need dumming down any further (as the dialogue in the trailer suggests).

Judge Dred - Seriously? Does nobody come up with original ideas anymore?

Agree, Total Recall was and is a classic. The new one looks shit, and even it's good, why cant they leave classics alone, its not even that old (20yrs). Anyway the new broads don't look a patch on Sharon Stone in her spandex  :whistle:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Although the 3BB (Boob Bird) is a bit foxier than the old one.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree:

No need.

tomtom

• forum hero

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
"consider that a divorce" classic!

lukeh

• addict
For those of you who have seen Dark Knight Rises and thought exactly the same thing

It made me think of two things, firstly what grade it would get? and secondly that a couple of beastmakers in the pit and everyone would be escaping in no time  :strongbench:.

Overall I thought it was a good film though, ticked all the boxes required for a blockbuster action film... looking forward to what must surely be coming - a Batman and Robin film!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Climbing scenes making no sense is a longstanding batman tradition

Plattsy

• forum hero
Saw Ted yesterday. Pretty funny throughout with a couple of cracking laugh of loud moments. In particular Ted's interview technique had me laughing so hard I stopped breathing.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I took in Batman on Sunday night at the Swiss Cottage iMax.  What a great entertaining film.  Better than the previous two parts of the trilogy. We're spoilt these days when you think back to Tim Burton's 80's films for Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson and Danny Devito to strut their stuff, hamming it up for the cameras.  

Instead we get a dark Dickensian riff on contemporary society with spectacular cinematography and superb character acting from Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Marion Cottillard  :wub:, Morgan Freeman, Cilian Murphy, Michael Caine.. the list goes on.

The perverse and distorted morality of 9-11/Jihad and Authoritarian "counter terror" ideology feature prominently as in the second part of the trilogy. 

It's very hard to pull off a film that's both exciting and thought provoking but this is a smart, entertaining and impressive bit of filmmaking.  

It's hard to review without giving away major plot themes so I won't spoil it.  Well worth a trip to the cinema.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Oh and it's miles better than Prometheus.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The Hunger Games is a bit... meh, I know having read and loved the book pretty recently it was never going to live up to my expectations but I really wasn't impressed at all.

Also saw The Dictator recently which was ok, it was quite funny in bits if you like his sort of humour and don't mind the fact that it's full of racial stereotypes, which I know is the point but I found it a bit lame.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Total Recall -  It's actually a cool film. Somewhere between pretty cool and really cool - it does exactly what it promises, slick, stylish, sci-fi action film. As a remake of the original, it's not that bad - the new setting has a good hook to it, aspects of the original are translated fairly well but it has enough of it's own character going on. As a film in it's own right, it's great, despite getting a bit silly towards the end, the action (car chase), pace and many of the scenes (UFB vs Colony styles) are well done, as are a lot of the little future touches (blend of current architecture with fancy technology). BUT it suffers from the story being in the shadow of the original - if the original had never been made, this could be one of the best current sci-fi films, but since everyone is familiar with the concept, the plot and twists lose their impact. But that doesn't spoil the entertainment much.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Judge Dred - Seriously? Does nobody come up with original ideas anymore?

Seriously? Maybe it will be a bit truer to the original than the pile of shite Stallone made.

Be nice if someone dug through some of the older 2000AD stuff and made a film that stayed close to the original story;

Halo Jones
ABC Warriors
Rogue Trooper?

RE:DREDD
Checked it last night (I think 3D is shit and I was going to pass but as I was an 2000AD geek a long time ago I couldn't resist)

It was actually very good. No spoilers but Dredd was how I always thought he would be and the whole thing was done well... - no deep meanings but class 2000AD/violence without any corn.
If you watched batman (Keaton version) and thought this is shit, and rejoiced when the Nolan remake came out, then u will get that this was the Dredd we wanted.

I highly recommend. :geek:

lukeh

• addict
I highly recommend. :geek:

I agree.

Also very glad to see it was not sanitized to gain what the studios think is a more saleable certificate, making it one of the few adult action film of the past what, 5 - 10 years?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
making it one of the few adult action film of the past what, 5 - 10 years?

I've seen plenty of "adult action" films over the last 5-10 years!

lukeh

• addict
 :slap:
making it one of the few adult action film actions films aimed at an adult audience, (ie those films belonging to the action genre that have been given an 18 certificate,) of the past what, 5 - 10 years?
:)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal