UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139521 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched The Hunter at the cinema last night.  Quite gripping and unusual in the way that only Aussie films can be.

mark s

• junky
Total Recall (original). Saw this again on TV recently, forgot just how good it is. I remember it as a standardly entertaining Arnie sci-fi action thing, but I'd forgotten about all the plot twists (pretty good for an action blockbuster) and the one-liners and humour and stuff. Just a great film all round.

Now then....I know it's cool to hate on remakes, but....

....I think this looks pretty good. Sure it's derivative of everything, ever, including the original, but I actually think the fights / stunts / action look good enough on their own to warrant a cinema view.  :-\

like you say the original is brilliant but this also looks really good

consider this a divorce....boom !

Yossarian

• forum hero
Watched The Hunter at the cinema last night.  Quite gripping and unusual in the way that only Aussie films can be.

I really liked the Hunter. Captured Tassie wilderness very well, and you can't go too far wrong with Willem Dafoe either.

tomtom

• forum hero
I spent 24 hours as a guest of Singapore Air earlier in the month and tried out a range of their (normally good) in flight movies. Sadly nothing stood out except one.

"Act of Valour".
Is the worst film I have seen since Superman II. Utter complete shite. If this lands on your doormat via love film etc.. just send it back. Dont even try and watch it. It is utter utter wank. I normally like brainless action films. But I would rather bed bath George Osbourne than try and watch this again. After he'd got really drunk and shat himself. 

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Midnight in Paris, weird, not very good.  I was promised a RomCom as a birthday treat and this was not what I was expecting.  :lol:

Cleanskin - I suspect this is better than I thought it was but I wasn't that keen.

Get the Gringo, which has apparently changed name now.  It was ok but a bit weird and I wasn't keen.

I'd be quite interested to hear what others thought if you've seen any of them as I'm not sure whether my opinion was skewed by my condition at the time of watching.  They get decent ratings online but I really wasn't impressed with any of them. :shrug:

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
The Station Agent, was expecting much but really enjoyed it.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
The director's other two films are both pretty good - the Visitor and Win Win - worth a look if you like schlubby, low key comedy-drama (likes of Sideways etc). 

And of course, if you can't get enough of Mr Dinklage, Game of Thrones has more sardonic-small-fella action than you could shake a stick at.  His character steals every scene - funny, charming, and Machiavellian.

andy popp

• forum hero
Attempted to sleep through the new Batman this afternoon.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Attempted to sleep through the new Batman this afternoon.

Does that mean you went there planning to have a snooze and were surprisingly entertained so you didn't or that the film was so dire that the inside of your eye lids held more interest?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Midnight in Paris, weird, not very good.  I was promised a RomCom as a birthday treat and this was not what I was expecting.  :lol:

Cleanskin - I suspect this is better than I thought it was but I wasn't that keen.

Get the Gringo, which has apparently changed name now.  It was ok but a bit weird and I wasn't keen.

I'd be quite interested to hear what others thought if you've seen any of them as I'm not sure whether my opinion was skewed by my condition at the time of watching.  They get decent ratings online but I really wasn't impressed with any of them. :shrug:

Re Midnight in Paris.....

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6004.msg353337/topicseen.html#msg353337

Although I believe other UKBers weren't quite as impressed as me and FD.  ;)

Yossarian

• forum hero
I loved it too. So many lovely little amusements. Like the Carla Bruni cameo, and the intensely irritating Michael Sheen character, and the Picasso interpretation...

Dr T

• forum hero
Ok so this is from a biased point of view because I'm a huge Batman fan...
or maybe it's from a harsh point of view because I'm a huge Batman fan...
one or the other...

Anyways went to the BFI IMAX today to see The Dark Knight Rises

For me it was everything I wanted, yes there was the action and the gadgets but there were the characters too
None of them too distant from the conventions of the DC universe but none (thankfully) came to close to the "camper" incarnations of the earlier, pre-Nolan, films.

For, what was essentially, an action film there was enough development and in many ways the ensemble cast made it closer to an indie type movie rather than a single hero lead fight fest...

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was outstandingly understated - amazing to think how far he's come since 3rd Rock..

As for the "outrage" at the casting of Anne Hathaway - I thought she was spot on, not exactly the catwoman one might expect from the more fantastical Batman offerings but certainly one which fitted with the more real world Loeb/Lee comics which apparently were the source for the Nolan imagining Of Gotham

Oldman was of course excellent - I fail to remember a film where he wasn't

and Bane's voice - I had no problem with it and I'm deaf in one ear making everything muddier as it is...

So for the fan it was excellent - maybe you need to be bought into the Gotham universe to really "get" it maybe not - I'm in no position to answer that as Mrs T is just as bigger Batman fan as I am -but even as a character lead action film it ranks up there with the last Nolan offering of Inception which I though was brilliant so there you have it.....

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Jasper you and I can clearly never go to the cinema together. :))

We watched Project X at the weekend which is pretty good for what it is, although not an ideal choice to watch with a 15 year old boy. :lol:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Just caught up with Super 8 which channels elements of Close Encounters, The Goonies, Outbreak etc etc. Very enjoyable. You can tell Spielberg and JJ Abrams are involved.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Having also been subjected to about 48 hours on a Singapore Airlines 777 (Return flights to Sydney) I can let you know their selection for August has improved some what, or at least I thougth it had. I hadn't managed to see The Avengers, so was well happy to watch it finally. They had gone a bit Marvel crazy and had loads on there. I also watched Battleship (Ok, but after watching the Avengers, didn't stand much chance!) The 5 Year Engagement (Actually pretty funny and painless to watch) Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (Which I thought was excellent!) Hunger Games (Pretty average and didn't quite live up to the hype for me) & some tossy generic Nicholas Cage film about justice, was crap.

As I was staying in Sydney with friends, we decided to watch the Dark Knight Rises at the wolrds biggest IMAX. Holy shit, it was pretty mental. Afterwards though, me and the mrs decided it was actually a little too big although it could be the fact I am used to wathcing stuff at Keswick's cinema which is fairly vintage. The film was excellent though, enjoyed it very much indeed.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber

Defo not a romcom.  I thought overall the movie was engaging, but more from a visual perspective and the ridiculousness of Owen's engagement with the rest of the cast.  Owen Wilson always seems so whiny, while everyone else seemed to have great personality as their characters.  Made for a pretty absurd dichotomy. 

Watched [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655442/]The Artist[/url] - Very good, but took a little bit to get into it.

Haven't watched much else lately.  Not enough time.....

Paul B

• forum hero
Salmon fishing in the Yemen - fine but a little soft, even when watched with my good lady.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - given the cast I was expecting a bit more (i.e. a classic British comedy) but it was 'just ok'.

The Dark Knight Rises - Really impressed by this (not just due to Anne Hathaway  :wub:), I was a bit unsure following the opening scene but I thought Bane was a great villain and some of the more gritty fight scenes really helped the film along. Did anyone else notice a big change in the visuals in the last 5 minutes or so? It looked like it'd been shot on completely different kit.

On the trailers:

I have to strongly disagree with Fiend re: Total Recall, the new version looks terrible. Ok, so they've found two very good looking ladies and made them fight and kept the alien with 3 breasts but this seriously didn't need a remake and for heavens sake, it was originally an Arnie movie, it doesn't need dumming down any further (as the dialogue in the trailer suggests).

Judge Dred - Seriously? Does nobody come up with original ideas anymore?

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
on the new total recall film:its not even set on mars for most of it anymore=wtf!!!!!

im still not sure about the dark knight rises.yes its good but its still nowhere near as good as batman begins.

anyone see god bless america?

andy_e

• forum hero
The Dark Knight: a few of the punch up scenes went a bit:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Judge Dred - Seriously? Does nobody come up with original ideas anymore?

Seriously? Maybe it will be a bit truer to the original than the pile of shite Stallone made.

Be nice if someone dug through some of the older 2000AD stuff and made a film that stayed close to the original story;

Halo Jones
ABC Warriors
Rogue Trooper?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Hell yes, that'll do.

There is what looks like a trailer of some sort for ABC Warriors on youtube, but not sure if it's a cutscene from a video game or what.

Paul B

• forum hero
Seriously? Maybe it will be a bit truer to the original than the pile of shite Stallone made.

Judge for yourself: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/  :wall:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Hmm, looks a bit silly, but possibly marginally better than the Stallone one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal