UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139195 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Secret in Their Eyes - A great slow burning Spanish subtitled thriller that won the Oscar for best "foreign" film last year (I think).  Currently on Sky movies if you know someone who has it.

Once again a fine recommendation FD.

Oh good. I'm glad someone else liked it.  A really great film...

I tried to watch Kill List last night using HMV on Demand but it was stuttery and kept pausing so gave up.  We've been working through Game of Thrones though on Sky+ which is surprisingly good..

Yossarian

• forum hero
I watched Kill List the other day.  I must admit that I wasn't really in the right frame of mind to appreciate it.  I think the right frame of mind would probably entail having crashed a very nice new car and then discovered that your insurance actually started tomorrow rather than today - along the lines of nihilistic ennui.  I found it quite horrible - the main protagonist is played by the guy who was the fat bloke in Football Factory. I disliked him intensely in the latter (but that's really Nick Love's fault) and I still find him hard to bear. Anyway, it's a curious, mysterious, bleak and fucking violent, and not entirely resolved film, which I think is exactly what the director intended.

I also watched something from about 5 years ago - the Rise of the Footsoldier.  Repellent, monstrous shit of the highest order. Its only redeeming feature is amusement relating to a hideous wig sported by one of the main characters. Not sure if the costume department intended that to be the case, but even so, it's still pretty funny. But totally shit otherwise.

In Time - Hollywood retard vehicle for Justin Timberlake that would've been lame if it had come out in 1992, but in this day and age it's truly unforgivable. Quite why I bothered to sit through it I'm not sure.

The Inbetweeners - I gave up on the TV series after 5 minutes.  This appalling film is so bad I remained transfixed throughout, persuading myself that it couldn't get any worse, whilst it got worse and worse and worse.  Urgh... I think it might've been made specifically to entertain Alex Reid.

--- At this point I made a conscious decision to stop watching anything remotely rubbish ---

Restrepo - Amazing low budget documentary about a US unit in Afghanistan. Classic modern war reporting.

Gasland - Intriguing and depressing documentary about shale gas extraction in the USA.

Helvetica - The first of Gary Hustwit's trilogy of design documentaries.  Saw Objectified first, and not seen Urbanized. Great films, although I must declare a high degree of design geekery, so possibly not everyone's cup of tea.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Just went to see the girl with the dragon tattoo with my dad. He's read the book and I haven't.

Like all films based on books they have had to cut a lot out. He really enjoyed it though. I thought you still got a very good idea about the plot and character development. I thought it was great. They've toned down the violence and sex a bit for the film but it's not something to take the grandparents to :whistle:

Strongly reccomend it!

Having seen the original, i was pleasantly surprised by the new version.  Having said that, it's almost an exact re-make except in English- a lot of the actors seem to have been picked to look like the original cast?!  Certainly recommend it though.

I watched Kill List the other day.  I must admit that I wasn't really in the right frame of mind to appreciate it.  I think the right frame of mind would probably entail having crashed a very nice new car and then discovered that your insurance actually started tomorrow rather than today - along the lines of nihilistic ennui.  I found it quite horrible - the main protagonist is played by the guy who was the fat bloke in Football Factory. I disliked him intensely in the latter (but that's really Nick Love's fault) and I still find him hard to bear. Anyway, it's a curious, mysterious, bleak and fucking violent, and not entirely resolved film, which I think is exactly what the director intended.

Ordered this from Amazon, it's not here yet but I'm looking forward to it.  Still got NEDS to watch too, only managed to see the first half hour when I sat down to watch it.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Don't let me put you off! It's powerful stuff. The Irish guy is a great character - think he's Miranda Sawyer's husband actually.

galpinos

• forum hero
I also watched something from about 5 years ago - the Rise of the Footsoldier.  Repellent, monstrous shit of the highest order. Its only redeeming feature is amusement relating to a hideous wig sported by one of the main characters. Not sure if the costume department intended that to be the case, but even so, it's still pretty funny. But totally shit otherwise.

I watched A Lonely Place to Die recently by the same director, Julian Gibley. Fantastic shots of the Scottish highlands and a half decent thriller. It's a little like a low rent deliverence with a touch of the Wickerman at the end but though that description sounds pretty bad, I enjoyed it. Decent acting with Sean Harris a very convincing bady and the climbing scenes in it are pretty good for a movie too.

It did give the wife nightmares though.....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Enjoyed watching Anything for Her, essentially a love story, but really a thriller which builds to a nice climax.

Think it was ~£3 from a jungle in South America.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I watched A Lonely Place to Die recently ... like a low rent deliverence with a touch of the Wickerman at the end but though that description sounds pretty bad, I enjoyed it.

I expected it to be awful and was pleasantly surprised to find it standard watchable hokum - Cliffhanger abseilling into Deliverance was what occurred to me.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Yeah, I thought it was better than it might be too.

Watched The Son of Rambow last night, which was fun/watchable. Quite touching in places. Still on Iplayer.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
I saw Son of Rambo on xmas eve. It might have been the laphroaig, but I really enjoyed it. All seemed to go a bit lord of the flies at one point.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

In Time - Hollywood retard vehicle for Justin Timberlake that would've been lame if it had come out in 1992, but in this day and age it's truly unforgivable. Quite why I bothered to sit through it I'm not sure.

I told you so. However I missed out "truly unforgivable" from my review which was an oversight.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Sorry - I missed your critique,as well as losing my grip on reality and intelligent thought!

Paul B

• forum hero
I know I'm about 6 years too late for the party with this one but I watched Perfume last night.

I was completely mesmerized by the visuals and filmmaking but the ending was either done poorly, or just poor I couldn't decide which. Has anybody else watched this and rated/hated it?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Also a bit slow off the mark, but got round to watching Transformers on Film 4 the other night. Super low maintenance, but loved it, especially the special effects are fantastic. And Megan Fox. Are the sequels on a par?

galpinos

• forum hero
Also a bit slow off the mark, but got round to watching Transformers on Film 4 the other night. Super low maintenance, but loved it, especially the special effects are fantastic. And Megan Fox. Are the sequels on a par?

I watched Transformers – Revenge of the Fallen whilst ironing my shirts one evening. It was utter shite.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

I sat and watched the most recent one on a plane last year. I really don't know what prevented me from switching over. Utterly, utterly awful.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was the only redeeming feature, and even then...  :badidea:

Paul B

• forum hero
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was the only redeeming feature, and even then...  :badidea:

Only? Megan Fox helped a bit I'm sure  :popcorn:

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Woops  :-[

I got mixed up with the newest one (Dark of the Moon)...  And yes, megan fox  :wub:  is way better than that other one.  :-*

[Edited]

No no no, it was Dark of the Moon I saw, it was utter shite and Megan Fox  :wub: wasn't in it.  :'(

Honestly, DO NO WATCH IT IT'S TERRIBLE!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
So that's a no then :). Will take the Highlander / Matrix approach and pretend there can only be one / is a Chosen One.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Don't let me put you off! It's powerful stuff. The Irish guy is a great character - think he's Miranda Sawyer's husband actually.

Just watched Kill List.

It's a very well put together film, loads of tension and discomfort and very different from the mainstream.  I really liked it, but I can see how it wouldn't be many people's cup of tea.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Drive I guess most people have seen this by now. Beautifully filmed but I didn't wholly see the point.
I didn't even think it was that well filmed, it annoyed me, there were too many long pauses in dialog for no apparent reason and the story was a bit shit AND bloody what'shisface didn't even take his top off which should be written into all his film contracts as he's not a good enough actor to get by on his skills without flashing his torso.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
I didn't even think it was that well filmed, it annoyed me, there were too many long pauses in dialog for no apparent reason and the story was a bit shit AND bloody what'shisface didn't even take his top off which should be written into all his film contracts as he's not a good enough actor to get by on his skills without flashing his torso.

Did you see it in the cinema?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I know I'm about 6 years too late for the party with this one but I watched Perfume last night.

I was completely mesmerized by the visuals and filmmaking but the ending was either done poorly, or just poor I couldn't decide which. Has anybody else watched this and rated/hated it?

I thought they did a pretty good job of transferring an impossible to film book to the cinema. The ending is a bit unsatisfying in the book so it was never going to be the high point of the movie.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Drive I guess most people have seen this by now. Beautifully filmed but I didn't wholly see the point.

magpie you are cruising for a puntering. I know choice of films is entirely subjective but anyone who "quite liked" In Time and slates Drive has to either have been smoking crack or is just trying to wind me up.
 :jab:

My Mum didn't like Drive cos it was "too violent". A generation thing maybe, it's hardly Irreversible.  :-\

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I only smoke crack on special occasions.  ;)

I thought In Time was a(n albeit badly done) big blockbuster / mass media type film which was ok to fill in the time, I wasn't expecting much and it was like a form of brain bubblegum than a life changing or even very good film, I wouldn't rave about it, I liked the general premise of it though.  I have no idea what the premise of Drive was, there just seemed no point.

I did not see Drive at the cinema as I hate the cinema, which maybe had an effect.  To be honest though unless it was a different film they showed at the cinema I can't see it helping.  :P

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Drive is definitely a cinema/home theatre film. I could imagine my mind wandering during those long scenes if I wasn't so immersed in the whole thing.

How can you not like the cinema??  :shrug:

I think a similar thing happened to me when I saw Midnight in Paris on the place. The plot/acting didn't carry the film well enough without the total immersion into the concept that you get at the cinema. (in my opinion)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal