UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139716 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
I went to see submarine recently and thought it was really excellent. I was prepared to be a bit disappointed and endure another quirky rom com, but it was actually very very good. Would highly recommend it. Made me want to buy a super 8 camera for some old school grainy filming.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Im not sure if this has already been mentioned but I just saw Black Dynamite. Its a spoof / homage to 70s Blaxploitation. Good fun B movie nonsense with some very funny moments and lines.

Totally.
"Black Dynamite, that was the best night of my life"
"Ssssh, you'll wake the other bitches"
 8)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Frost/Nixon which was amazing, I really enjoyed it.  Watergate isn't really something I knew very much about but the film was really interesting and the characters were so well played, I'd definitely recommend it.

London Boulevard which was good, I enjoyed it but it wasn't amazing, worth a watch if there is nothing else on.

From Paris with love; totally crass, unintelligent shoot em up.  It was mildly amusing in bits but it was so poorly done and obvious throughout.  I did like JT in it though.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Whilst on hol we took a few DVDs and had a classic 80s/90s movie fest. Watched 'Dazed and confused' for the umpteenth time but the first time in ages. Reminded a)quite what a brilliant and funny movie it is and b) Matthew McConaughey used to be brilliant but now just makes shite romcoms.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Watched Frozen on Friday night, so bad it's funny. Plays out the "what would you do if you got stuck here" conversation that crops up on chairlifts.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'm looking forward to tomtom's review of Watchmen.  :popcorn:

Stubbs

That's the one with Angelina Jolie right, and the suicide rats?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah and something to do with sewing.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
We watched Temple Grandin last night, I liked it (enough to sob quietly at the end of the film  :'( ), Clair Danes was fantastic in it, she played the part so well.

Davey_C

• regular
I've watched Let Me In, Death at a Funeral and Limitless in the last couple of weeks.

To be honest I wouldn't really recommend any of them. Let Me In is almost scene for scene the same as Let the Right One In, but not done anywhere nearly as well - although it's not actually a bad film it just doesn't offer anything over the original and I don't know why they bothered.

Death at a Funeral was slightly funny in places, but nothing special - there was one scene in particular with Danny Glover's character being helped to the toilet which was particularly gross (which I found funny).

Limitless had the potential to be a good film, it's a fairly original idea and could have been so much more...but frankly didn't deliver.

I've just read about a new Japanese film today called Cold Fish which looks pretty good, might try and get to watch that next.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Buried - I wouldn't bother watching it unless you're really stuck for something else to watch, not a great film and it gave me mild palpitations a couple of times through feeling claustrophobic.
Battle Los Angeles - cheesy action nonsense, ok for what it was but not really worth seeing unless you have never seen an 'aliens attack America' film ever before. 
Also watched about 85% of The Way Back before falling asleep, it was pretty good but too quiet and slow to keep me awake at 1am, I will watch the end at some point though as it was a decent film.

JamieG

• forum hero
Went to see Oranges and Sunshine at the weekend. It is about the uncovering of the deportation of children in care to Australia by the British Government. A very good film. Really well acted, a couple real heart wrenching moments, and you come out with a whole load of mixed emotions going on. Top!

Dr T

• forum hero
Just watched Dark City on DVD

A rather good bit of sci-fi noir - rather suprised it's not on any of the "best sci-fi" movies list
If you like that kind of thing I'd highly recommend it......

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Source Code

From the trailer I described it as "Groundhog Day meets Speed meets The Matrix". And watching it it was pretty much Groundhog Day meets Speed meets The Matrix. Cool film I liked it a lot. Just nicely done and interesting how it pans out. Manages to do a lot with very little (a train, a small room, a science lab, and 5 main characters), the army girl is cool, and the feelgood ending is pretty nice too. Could have been slicker in places and possibly deeper but still good.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Just watched Senna - I was a only 11 when it happened and I don't think I was actually watching that race, but I definitely remember it happeneing.

What an incredibly moving film. His face on the grid of Imola was like a man off to war. Scary.

:-[ Just realised it's not released in the UK until June 3rd. Woops.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:47:08 pm by Fultonius »

andy popp

• forum hero
Anyone seen 'Meek's Cutoff'? Looks like my kind of thing.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Just watched Senna - I was a only 11 when it happened and I don't think I was actually watching that race, but I definitely remember it happeneing.

I was at the Newstones/Baldstones for the first time with Al Williams listening to it on the radio on the way to the crag.. I'd like to see the film

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
As part of a conversation at work today, re: „Triumph des Willens“

“Have they done a remake?”

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The Hudsucker Proxy, it was good, I liked it, it was a lot funnier than I expected.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Monsters- wank. save yourselves £2.50 and punch yourself in the balls for 90 minutes.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Secret in Their Eyes - A great slow burning Spanish subtitled thriller that won the Oscar for best "foreign" film last year (I think).  Currently on Sky movies if you know someone who has it.

Senna - Worth all the accolades and plaudits and then some.  For a documentary it's unusual in that there are no talking-heads or voiceovers.  The whole film is cut from archive film and TV which gives it a tremendous feeling of immediacy that keeps you gripped throughout.   A fitting tribute to a great man.  Go see at the Cinema if you can.

I have Wake Wood and Lemmy on rental on the iPad

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
I am number  4...I am a pile of post curry number 2, more like.

Not an original idea in the whole thing. If you ignore the shameless Twilight rip off, insipid acting, dire script and shocking plot holes, It'd still be more fun to buff your balls with an angle grinder and fill your arse with broken glass.

I'm never getting that time back.

The Rite was much more entertaining, despite the disappointing ending.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Paul - Very good, I liked it a lot, it was very funny and not at all what I expected, I loved all the little nods to other Sci-Fi films throughout it too.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

Senna - Worth all the accolades and plaudits and then some.  For a documentary it's unusual in that there are no talking-heads or voiceovers.  The whole film is cut from archive film and TV which gives it a tremendous feeling of immediacy that keeps you gripped throughout.   A fitting tribute to a great man.  Go see at the Cinema if you can.

That's twice I've read "There's no talking heads" which I found odd, thinking "I'm sure there was at least 40 minutes worth of talking heads, are you all blind?!?!"

Went to the cinema to watch it last night and went "Ahhhhhh" - the copy I was given was not the final edit!  all the voicover's from commentators/journos etc. were shown in full (i.e. "talking heads"). Also explains why it's 1hr 10 minutes shorter in the cinema!

Glad I went to see it again. Once again, the shot of him at the grid in Imola was scary! It was as if he new what was going to happen...

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
Potiche, a rather charming and knowingly kitsch look at late 1970's relatively wealthy provincial French family life and politics. Some sly humour and one or two vicious digs at bloody mindedness. Nice to see the chief protagonists in a film cast as slightly weathered middle aged folk (played by Gérard Depardieu, Catherine Deneuve,) making the best of their way in the world; with no guns or botox and the visible side effects of good food and wine.

Managed to raise belly laughs and some tears from two supposed adults and our fifteen year old daughter.

On a side note, my wife has two hearing aids; she reports the audio loop in screen3 at The Showroom let her hear a film better than she has done for twenty years.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal