UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139388 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
This looks like it could be quite exciting...

:o

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Just watched Warrior, very, very good.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I watched In Time last night.

Total shite.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
anyone seen "the Rum Diaries"? I quite enjoyed it, despite spending most of the film scratching my head trying to remember the book having read it years ago.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
The new Sherlock Holmes one is an interesting diversion

(The Robert Downey / Jude Law retconned "new" one, not the Mark Gatiss new "new" one)

Duma

• forum hero
I am of course 3 years late to the party, but "in the valley of elah" is on iplayer at the mo and made me cry, TLJ's performance is great.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I agree, and posted the David scene in Quality non-...I didn't cry though, there was a bit of grit or something.  :'(

Dr T

• forum hero
Watched Eastern Promises last night (finally)
So good on so many levels.....
Not what you'd expect fron Cronenburg.
Subtle and (after the first few minutes) quite understated
No the sort of film I'd watch for a second time but I am very excited about a possible sequal

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
anyone seen "the Rum Diaries"? I quite enjoyed it, despite spending most of the film scratching my head trying to remember the book having read it years ago.

I thought exactly the same: on both counts. I concluded that maybe the movie wasn't really that much like the novel at all, and perhaps a bit more like 'Withnail and I go to the Carribean'. No worse for that though, i still enjoyed it.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I watched In Time last night.

Total shite.

Been thinking about this and should have elaborated. This film is total and utter dogshit, do not bother watching it under any circumstances. Possibly the most annoying thing about it (and there are so very many) is that the concept (of time as a currency) was a really interesting one and they totally fucked it up.

Timberlake isn't actually that bad (just quite bad) but some of the other performances are woeful. Add in the fact that the "plot" is so full of holes that it's more hole than plot and that it tries so desperately to be clever and reference the banking system and inequality in society (also failing miserably) and it's basically *INSERT SMUG CRITIC'S JOKE ABOUT "TIME" I'M NOT GETTING BACK HERE*

Avoid.  :shit:

Dr T

• forum hero
Not a full film but certainly a mouth watering trailer....

:popcorn:

saltbeef

• forum hero
films I've seen recently

good ones - rare exports, submarine, animal kingdom, hanna

not so good ones - biutiful (avoid if you are in a gloomy mood, i nearly ended it)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I quite liked In Time.  It wasn't great but the concept was good and I was surprised at JT not being totally gash.

mark s

• junky

watched this morning,very good.infact amazing.

watched hangover 2 yesterday,that was a laugh

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
Just went to see the girl with the dragon tattoo with my dad. He's read the book and I haven't.

Like all films based on books they have had to cut a lot out. He really enjoyed it though. I thought you still got a very good idea about the plot and character development. I thought it was great. They've toned down the violence and sex a bit for the film but it's not something to take the grandparents to :whistle:

Strongly reccomend it!

tomtom

• forum hero
Just went to see the girl with the dragon tattoo with my dad. He's read the book and I haven't.

Like all films based on books they have had to cut a lot out. He really enjoyed it though. I thought you still got a very good idea about the plot and character development. I thought it was great. They've toned down the violence and sex a bit for the film but it's not something to take the grandparents to :whistle:

Strongly reccomend it!

Watch the original film. Im gobsmacked they re-made it.... Iirc they didnt tone down the sexual violence much for the Swedish original...

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Repo Men - pretty good
The Inbetweeners Movie - alright but not as funny as I was expecting
Cowboys and Aliens - shit
Warrior - much better than I was expecting
Contagion - alright, nothing new

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Saw Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows at the flicks the other day. Full on Guy Richie escapism and in a similar vein to the first. Professor Moriarty was well played and not over the top. Find some comfortable seats as it's long. Half an hour less would have been better in my opinion. Definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the first one.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I rather liked Cowboys and Aliens - I watched it on the basis that I hadn't seen something truly awful for a while and as such needed reset my assessment apparatus.  But it was a pretty amusing romp and the Daniel Craig / Harrison Ford combo worked pretty well.  Not bad at all...

Ides of March - I thought the ending was perfectly judged.  As an antidote to grandiose political thrillers, it worked nicely - blink and you'll miss the devious canny sell-my-mother-for-a-promotion manipulating fuckhead.  I liked the way he dealt with the journalist at the end too. 

Has anyone seen the trailer for Prometheus? Now that should be a cool film...

Eddies

• forum hero
 :yes: It looks amazing

Paul B

• forum hero
The Hangover 2 - enjoyed it more than the first but that may simply be due to  :alky:

Limitless - A bit of a let down. The concept seemed pretty interesting but they missed a trick with the ending, surely it'd have been more interesting if he ended up under the thumb of big pharamceutical companies due to more than campaign contributions?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Hugo in 3D. The message is a touch sententious, the characters a bit thin ( excepting Sir Ben's character). But! The use of 3D is truely brilliant: it enhances the plot, enriches classic shots (the "tracking" shot at the start is endless and totally immersive) and plays on the history of cinema and its effects while using the latest of them.
Loved it.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The Secret in Their Eyes - A great slow burning Spanish subtitled thriller that won the Oscar for best "foreign" film last year (I think).  Currently on Sky movies if you know someone who has it.

Once again a fine recommendation FD.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
I was up with the bro', sister-in-law and their weans at Christmas - they don't have broadcast television - but do havve BT "onDemand"

This little gem was put on to entertain the kids, and ended up entertaining yours truly.

Most amusing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844471/

Recommended.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I get to watch it almost every day  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal